News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

my number one daughter has a boyfriend while she is away at school. the first acknowledged relationship. she is 22 years old.

i am hoping he is not like me, or at least has more sense than i did

set the function, not the mechanism.

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on May 03, 2020, 02:36:57 PM
my number one daughter has a boyfriend while she is away at school. the first acknowledged relationship. she is 22 years old.

i am hoping he is not like me, or at least has more sense than i did

Don't put yourself down. You come across as an eminently practical chap, with good taste in music!
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

lol

my taste in music consists mostly of an intense curiosity becaue i don't understand it.

but i figured my daughter was using her head when i found the chocolate flavoured condoms in her truck. although i dunno about the chocolate part.

Icarus

Tank, we ordinary American slobs do have some discretion about our tea.  My household tea is Twinings. It is distinctly different from the Lipton brand  that you rightfully disparage.  WHaaat?  Of course to hell we can make boiling water. one minute 45 seconds in my microwave does the trick.  I often wake up at three in the morning to take care of my bladders urging. By the time I have reslved that issue, I  become conscious, I have a taste for tea....not coffee as most Americans favor. Three in the morning and I am having tea? Yep.  I favor the tea accompanied by cheese crackers.  My strong preference would be to have some scones with my tea, but what the hell, Nabisco does not make scones......neither does friend wife.

You may be repulsed or at least bewildered by our taste for iced tea.  Iced tea is mostly a southern traditional drink. The tea of choice for the better quality brew is a brand called Luzianne.   That brand is a product of the Coonass culture that Billy mentioned before. It is, by most accounts, better tasting than other brands such as Lipton. Our state of Louisiana, where the coonasses and the cajuns live, is a weird place but their food and beverages are in a world of their own.  That is where the Luzianne tea is blended.............for all I know they may be adding cremated bayou crawdads to the leaves but it is good anyway.

For what it is worth, there is a pleasing taste difference when using distilled water to make our tea.  Ordinary city water has chlorine and other chemicals added.  Just fine for brushing ones teeth but not the best for tea, or coffee making.

Cajuns: a contraction of the description, Arcadians.  Many moons ago the Arcadian french commoners were treated badly by the British elite who believed that they owned the territory exclusively.  The frogs decided to move the hell out of that territory into a more friendly place.  Many of them chose to move to the swampy territories of Louisiana where they could get land cheaply  and enjoy some degree of respect.   Coonasses were a distinctly separate tribe who made the journey to that Gulf state.  In fact there is still some rivalry between the two cultures.

In any case the French Arcadians, and perhaps some from France itself, settled there and one of their common traits was the creation of their particular type of music.  Bayou music is characterized by odd ball instruments that the people seem to play with considerable skill.  Billy will tell us that the Appalachian folk also display some skills in crafting their own instruments and playing them well. 

America is indeed a melting pot of cultures and customs.

billy rubin

the coonasses will never melt. theyre the homogeneouz big chunkz floating around. i still work with coonasses in the oil fieldz up here in ohio

rich culture

jumbojak

Cajun culture is weird... This girl I'm dating is from Louisiana. Nice girl. Very pretty and sweet - at least to me - but she insists that I am a Yankee. In fact, they seem to all think that the South stops halfway up the state of Louisiana. Yes, that's right. The only Southerners in the whole country are in the state of Louisiana. It's bizarre.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

in britan all americanz are yanks. they dont often see the real ones

xSilverPhinx

To me Americans are...Americans. :shrug: Heh.  ;D

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 05, 2020, 03:32:50 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 05, 2020, 03:25:47 AM
To me Americans are...Americans. :shrug: Heh.  ;D

Yanqui go home! :lol:

Yanqui Ianque. :grin:

All Americans are ianques.  :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

Magdalena

So, I finally convinced my man to watch the movie,
Ever After: A Cinderella Story (1998), with me.
I see this character, England's king...

...and I said to him: "Oh, look! That's what Tank from the forum looks like." He asked, "Does he dress like that too?"
:snicker:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

Quote from: Magdalena on May 05, 2020, 10:04:37 AM
Ever After: A Cinderella Story (1998), with me.

...and I said to him: "Oh, look! That's what Tank from the forum looks like." He asked, "Does he dress like that too?"

That is Tank. It isn't common knowledge here that Tank is a renowned thespian.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Magdalena

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 05, 2020, 10:38:48 AM

He is?  :snicker:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 05, 2020, 10:38:48 AM

Well I do like ladies  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.