News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

I think you need go call in Hugh Laurie, Dave. He'd fix you right up...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on September 26, 2018, 09:02:50 PM
I think you need go call in Hugh Laurie, Dave. He'd fix you right up...

Pity they don't make any more House episodes.  :'(
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 26, 2018, 08:56:01 PM
Quote from: Dave on September 26, 2018, 08:43:40 PM
Same thing on my mind as for the past three dsys - anxiety/panic attacks that aren't really.

Typically I do not seem to be following the usual pattern of symptoms. I am monitoring my BP etc and those stay within my normal limits all day. There is no one thing that is "playing on my mind". There is the editing job and the half dozen workshop projects . . . All competing for time but that has been so for quite a while.

But, today, though my "vitals" were level, inclding blood oxygen, I have been trying to control the random periods of the feeling of being short of breath. I feel a bit annoyed at these times but not anxious or in panic. A paper bag has variable results, diazapam has no apparent effect - may even make it worse!

Ho, bloody, hum.

:notsure: Have you had other possible causes ruled out?

There is history of stress and anxiety going back to childhood, partly genetic I think. Only one actual panic attack in 2004 or 5. Then maybe 4 anxiety attacks after my ICD shocks.  Not normally a panicker, no idea what triggered this off.

The medics have only tried the usual so far. I just feel so tired.

Keyboard keeps throwing up accented letters.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on September 26, 2018, 10:09:26 PM
Same thing on my mind as for the past three dsys - anxiety/panic attacks that aren't really.

Typically I do not seem to be following the usual pattern of symptoms. I am monitoring my BP etc and those stay within my normal limits all day. There is no one thing that is "playing on my mind". There is the editing job and the half dozen workshop projects . . . All competing for time but that has been so for quite a while.

But, today, though my "vitals" were level, inclding blood oxygen, I have been trying to control the random periods of the feeling of being short of breath. I feel a bit annoyed at these times but not anxious or in panic. A paper bag has variable results, diazapam has no apparent effect - may even make it worse!

Ho, bloody, hum.

There is history of stress and anxiety going back to childhood, partly genetic I think. Only one actual panic attack in 2004 or 5. Then maybe 4 anxiety attacks after my ICD shocks.  Not normally a panicker, no idea what triggered this off.

:therethere:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

Ho, bloody, hum.

My MiL gets all jittery if she gets dehydrated (91 YO). Took us a couple of ER and doctor visits to sort that out. Something to think about. She's allowed NO caffeine, and we can't give her chocolate, either. We're not considered "nice" sometimes! :LOL:

jumbojak

Quote from: Buddy on September 26, 2018, 08:00:37 PM
Thanks guys. He was found safe and sound. Might not stay like that for long because I am furious right now. A simple call or text and we could have avoided this while situation.

Where was he?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: Dark Lightning on September 27, 2018, 01:06:26 AM

Ho, bloody, hum.

My MiL gets all jittery if she gets dehydrated (91 YO). Took us a couple of ER and doctor visits to sort that out. Something to think about. She's allowed NO caffeine, and we can't give her chocolate, either. We're not considered "nice" sometimes! :LOL:

That's part of the anomally here, I am not getting juttery, or twitchy - just feeling uncomfortable and tending to hyperventilate. Having ssid thst when my waterworks woke me at 1am I was perfectly relaxed and comfortable - and I did not take a diazepam last night. By 5am I, once agsin, had that "lump" feeling in my gut. Still there.

Rarely drink coffee, that and tea only if out and decaff not availabale.  Mint infusion is caffrine free. I do drink chocolate, have done for sges, with no adverse effects.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on September 27, 2018, 09:17:25 AM
That's part of the anomally here, I am not getting juttery, or twitchy - just feeling uncomfortable and tending to hyperventilate. Having ssid thst when my waterworks woke me at 1am I was perfectly relaxed and comfortable - and I did not take a diazepam last night. By 5am I, once agsin, had that "lump" feeling in my gut. Still there.

If you can feel an actual lump higher up, it may be a hiatus hernia.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 27, 2018, 09:26:46 AM

Feels like a "tension lump" but that usually affects my abs, this is "deeper" and just below the arch of the ribcage. Could be the diaphragm, that might also account for some of the breathing probs, the feeling of a need to make a concious effort to inhale.

If I experience angina it is in the same area, hmm, time to try a squirt of GTN to see what happens.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on September 27, 2018, 10:47:38 AM

Feels like a "tension lump" but that usually affects my abs, this is "deeper" and just below the arch of the ribcage. Could be the diaphragm, that might also account for some of the breathing probs, the feeling of a need to make a concious effort to inhale.

If I experience angina it is in the same area, hmm, time to try a squirt of GTN to see what happens.

Get checked for a hiatus hernia.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Asmodean

You know the good old top-down party control D&D-based RPGs for PC, from the mid-nineties-to-mid-noughties? Like Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights? Well, they may be making a bit of a comeback. I've got my hands on Divinity - Original sin 2 and so far (End of act one) I find it to be both beautifully crafted and true to that particular style of game.

I'm pleased to see the sub-genre returning and reinventing itself in new worlds and stories. Even more pleased am I to see that controls of such a game need not be clunky on consoles. Yes, they take getting used to, but the overall control scheme is... Effective, if not as efficient as a keyboard and mouse would have been. I think that it's kind of an important development, because many within the gaming community think console gaming hurts PC gaming, often citing Westwood games and the like as examples of how and why. I won't go into that debate here and now, but maybe PC and console gaming can coexist even in genres and play styles where they originally did not, and maybe there is hope for base building strategy genre's return as well. (The genre is neither dead nor dying, in my opinion - it's just becoming more "niche." Still, I've spent many hours happily conquering the galaxy in Endless Space 2, for example, so there are modern turn-based strategy gems out there.)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 27, 2018, 10:51:39 AM

Ftom NHS page with my annotations.

With a hiatus hernia you may:
have a painful burning feeling in your chest, often after eating (heartburn)  X (not burning)
bring up small amounts of food or bitter-tasting fluids (acid reflux)  X (suffered that just before heart sttsck!)
have bad breath. X
burp and feel bloated. (often burp anyway, nothing extra, a bit bloated at its worse.)
feel or be sick.  X
have difficulty or pain when swallowing.  X

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on September 27, 2018, 11:57:42 AM

have a painful burning feeling in your chest, often after eating (heartburn)  X (not burning)
bring up small amounts of food or bitter-tasting fluids (acid reflux)  X (suffered that just before heart sttsck!)
have bad breath. X
burp and feel bloated. (often burp anyway, nothing extra, a bit bloated at its worse.)
feel or be sick.  X

Another symptom is waking up in the early hours with a dreadful feeling that there is a rock in one's chest.
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 27, 2018, 12:31:00 PM
Quote from: Dave on September 27, 2018, 11:57:42 AM

have bad breath. X
feel or be sick.  X

Another symptom is waking up in the early hours with a dreadful feeling that there is a rock in one's chest.

Nope, woke at 1am feeling very comfortable. Dozed on/off til 5am when slight discomfort. Not ruling out some kind of gastric problem tbough.

My GP does not do tele consultations but have left message for him, don't fancy driving to surgery.

Tank

Quote from: Dave on September 26, 2018, 10:09:26 PM

Ho, bloody, hum.

Dads Army and Jones comes to mind. :grin:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.