Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 29, 2018, 06:08:19 PM
Quote from: Dave on July 29, 2018, 04:05:47 PM
Quote from: Essie Mae on July 29, 2018, 03:48:53 PM
Quote from: Dave on July 29, 2018, 03:39:27 PM
Quote from: Essie Mae on July 29, 2018, 03:27:45 PM
Today I went to church with my son and family. A boy was baptised by his grandmother, a pastor. A filmed interview was shown in which the grandmother asked him about his love for Jesus and asked him why he wanted to be baptised. 'Because I want to live for Jesus for all my life,' he said. He was five years old.

Brainwashing at its best worst!

He was such a bright sparky kid who appeared highly intelligent. I wonder when/if he'll realise what a crock of excrement it all is.

We can only hope.

It's a scenario that's becoming increasingly likely. Upcoming generations are less and less religious.

But brainwashing in some sects can be so, so pesuasive! A little fear goes a long way in a developing mind and can leave a permanent scar.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on July 29, 2018, 06:14:06 PM
Today I went to church with my son and family. A boy was baptised by his grandmother, a pastor. A filmed interview was shown in which the grandmother asked him about his love for Jesus and asked him why he wanted to be baptised. 'Because I want to live for Jesus for all my life,' he said. He was five years old.

He was such a bright sparky kid who appeared highly intelligent. I wonder when/if he'll realise what a crock of excrement it all is.

We can only hope.

It's a scenario that's becoming increasingly likely. Upcoming generations are less and less religious.

But brainwashing in some sects can be so, so pesuasive! A little fear goes a long way in a developing mind and can leave a permanent scar.

I agree it can but at the same time I do believe that many of these children, as they grow older, will break the chains and either become atheists or reach the conclusion that god is benevolent (discard the OT, for instance). I think it takes a lot of brainwashing to remain a fundamentalist Christian who believes in a Divine Daddy who will punish them --  out of love. ::) It's easier to brainwash people who are isolated from other groups, such as in the rural and/or conservative areas and small towns where every outsider is seen with suspicion.

Since these newer generations are going to have access to the internet at very young ages a little curiosity could go a long way in throwing them on a different path from their upbringing. It's not like in the pre-internet era when information wasn't as readily accessible.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 29, 2018, 06:24:28 PM
Quote from: Dave on July 29, 2018, 06:14:06 PM

We can only hope.

I agree it can but at the same time I do believe that many of these children, as they grow older, will break the chains and either become atheists or reach the conclusion that god is benevolent (discard the OT, for instance). I think it takes a lot of brainwashing to remain a fundamentalist Christian who believes in a Divine Daddy who will punish them --  out of love. ::) It's easier to brainwash people who are isolated from other groups, such as in the rural and/or conservative areas and small towns where every outsider is seen with suspicion.

Since these newer generations are going to have access to the internet at very young ages a little curiosity could go a long way in throwing them on a different path from their upbringing. It's not like in the pre-internet era when information wasn't as readily accessible.

Yes, that is true in most communities where a variety of opinion is available. There are two local fairh schools infant/primary level. They are very popular because if their excellent ratings. But most of the kids I know of that went to these are fairly "normal" kids - some good, some real little wotsits. So, given a mix of influences you get a mix of. Parents who want their kuds to go to well rated first schools probably continue to take an interest in their kid's eduation.

Kids in very religious families are probably less likely to be exposed to a mix of experiences or other kids. And posdibly have their education more "constrained" than "expanded". But, hopefully the reduction in overly religious people will reverse that, provided parents continue to give open guidance. However, the family over the road seem to be the worse kind, I doubt that they have an honest religious cell amongst them, the kids are allowed to play ball, cycle and skate all over thevroad. Discipline is only applied if the kids annoy or pester the parents. I would almost wish they were a bit honestly religious rather than like they are (if they can't be reasonable secularists of some variety)!

Icarus

xSilverPhinx

I always knew Google translate was evil...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Well I'm sure you'll offer a guiding and rational hand if he needs  one.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Tank on July 30, 2018, 07:39:45 AM

Sadly not. I don't know the people; they just happen to attend the church my son goes to in Oz. I am booked to fly home tomorrow eve, local time so my mind will be full of the granddaughters I'm leaving behind 😢
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Tank

Quote from: Essie Mae on July 30, 2018, 04:37:55 PM
Quote from: Tank on July 30, 2018, 07:39:45 AM

Sadly not. I don't know the people; they just happen to attend the church my son goes to in Oz. I am booked to fly home tomorrow eve, local time so my mind will be full of the granddaughters I'm leaving behind 😢

It is a bugger that they are so far away :(
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

jumbojak

Sitting in the ER wondering if they forgot I'm here. Lost the use of my left arm at work tonight and it looks like I'm going to be making a house payment to this hospital for twenty years to have them tell me there's nothing they can do.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on July 31, 2018, 07:06:05 AM
Sitting in the ER wondering if they forgot I'm here. Lost the use of my left arm at work tonight and it looks like I'm going to be making a house payment to this hospital for twenty years to have them tell me there's nothing they can do.
How bizarre! Keep us posted on developments.

jumbojak

They gave me a sling after xrays and a cat scan. I should've just gone home for all the good it did me. Now I'll be off to work another twelve hour shift before I know it. And wearing a sling at that.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on July 31, 2018, 07:06:05 AM

Oh dear. Good luck and please keep us informed.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on July 31, 2018, 09:29:29 AM
They gave me a sling after xrays and a cat scan. I should've just gone home for all the good it did me. Now I'll be off to work another twelve hour shift before I know it. And wearing a sling at that.

So they found nothing and your arm is still not working?

Buddy

Wow, that's odd. Some kind of pinched nerve maybe?
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Dave

Yeah, keep us informed, mate.