News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Help me, I'm being tortured by a religious study group

Started by Tokage, January 22, 2011, 03:25:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tokage

Hello all, well I guess this is going to be quite the introduction.
The reason I'm here mainly is because I came into Starbucks tonight, and sat down with my laptop.
There are four men near me, huddled in a circle who seemed to be having a conversation concerning their business as I walked in.
But to my horror as I sat down and did a little unintentional eavesdropping due to their close proximity, I realized it was a religious study group.
Now, maybe I just need to be a little bit more cool headed, but I really really want to jump up and object to things group like this say as I'm sitting there drinking my coffee as I am now.
I just heard the sentence from one of the men along the line of " Richard's been having a tough time lately trying to find God, he's been searching for 6 months". One of them responded "All he has to do is have more faith in God, and God will find him". They all nod.  :brick:

Sigh, so I'm currently listening to the Atheist Experience on full blast with my skull candy headphones in, it relaxes me and helps me drown out a bit of the stupidity.

I'm not quite sure why I've never been apart of an Atheist forum before, I watch the Atheist Experience as I mentioned above on a regular basis, as well as even making some Atheistic minded videos on youtube, which I will elect not to plug here for fear of someone perceiving this whole thing as a shameless youtube promotion for myself. I guess having these four men raping my ears with fallacies made me frantically type "atheist forum" into the google search bar to find some relief, so here I am.

Anyway, very very nice to meet everyone and be apart of the forums, I look forward to some good discussion and community here!

hismikeness

Cool beans! Welcome to HAF.

Starbucks? At least you can safely assume they're not LDS.  :bananacolor:
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Whitney

Welcome to HAF.

You could make their study group really interesting by going over and saying, pardon me but I can't help but overhear your conversation about your friend needing to have more faith in order to have faith...

I know people who would do that (Matt from the Experience probably would...hardly know him outside the show) I'm too timid myself.

edit:  btw, if you do the above please turn on your computer's mic and hit record  :P

terranus

Bonvenon al la Forumo!
[spoiler:1y5jktyd]Welcome to the Forum![/spoiler:1y5jktyd]

Here's what you should do. Walk over to them with coffee in hand, and:  roflol
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

Tank

Tokage

You want to go over to them and say 'I'm sorry to interrupt but I think Richard Dawkins is a lost cause.' and walk off  :D

That's what I'd do!

Welcome to Happy Atheists.

What's your user id at YouTube?

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

SomewhereElseInND

Once, I sat down next to someone who really stunk.
Solution:Get a different table.

Guardian85

Anyone with that level of single-minded cdonviction in the virtues of faith is best left ignored.

And welcome to the thingy... :cool:

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

dgmort19

Count your "blessings." At least they're not your family.

Alexander

kelltrill

Starbucks is that massive coffee shop franchise with the green labels, right?

Welcome to HAF. I wish I could listen to the Atheist Experience at work but my work pc doesn't have a soundcard at the moment :|
"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."

YaarghMatey487

Dude...that happened to a friend of mine the other night. Instead of a study group there was this one random guy who just walked around trying to save people. She said he was really nice. At least he wasn't belligerent or anything.
"Don't you love the Oxford Dictionary? When I first read it, I thought it was a really really long poem about everything."- David Bowie

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

proudfootz

The Atheist Experience is a great resource!

Maybe there ought to be groups who gather in coffee shops to watch it online in a group and discuss....