News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What do you think of this God argument?

Started by Martian, August 24, 2007, 02:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveS

Ha!  My thoughts exactly, although I was thinking of dressing up like a pirate (FSM and all that).

I just don't think I'd have the chutzpah to pull off anything good, though, like that ski-mask dude.  That guy is awesome.

Will

Quote from: "SteveS"Ha!  My thoughts exactly, although I was thinking of dressing up like a pirate (FSM and all that).

I just don't think I'd have the chutzpah to pull off anything good, though, like that ski-mask dude.  That guy is awesome.
I was going to do a red pill blue pill kinda thing. Blue pill, I show the idiot kit. Red pill, enter Willravel dressed as and doing a horrible Neo impression debunking and tearing apart his weak arguments.

I guess I have a lot of time to think about this kinda stuff.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

SteveS

Yeah, but its good stuff to think about, so its okay!

Will - I meant to comment on your post, but somehow screwed up and never posted the reply.  I just wanted to say:

Quote from: "Willravel""Some people don't want to believe in God because that makes them accountable to their creator."
I would say that it's entirely possible that some people have to believe in a god because they can't be accountable to themselves.
This is a wickedly good point --- very well phrased!  :cheers:

Will

Quote from: "SteveS"Yeah, but its good stuff to think about, so its okay!

Will - I meant to comment on your post, but somehow screwed up and never posted the reply.  I just wanted to say:

Quote from: "Willravel""Some people don't want to believe in God because that makes them accountable to their creator."
I would say that it's entirely possible that some people have to believe in a god because they can't be accountable to themselves.
:cheers:
Thanks!
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

jcm

Quote from: "SteveS"Yeah, but its good stuff to think about, so its okay!

I agree, very nice post! :cheers:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

MommaSquid

Glug, glug, glug, glug...aaaaahhhhh.   :cheers:

This thread is making me thirsty!

tacoma_kyle

Its too bad- the kid is kinda convincing. Or I can see it anyhow. Anyone who is leaning on the god side---probably 70% of the public at least. Wellof the US.

He presents the intial candy thing then uses a bad analogy/comparison and acts like it is plain as day.

Like this... I say to you, "What do you put in the toaster." You say, "Toast, duh." I say ok and everyone else doesnt see a problem.

Then the atheist says, "You dont put toast in a toaster---you put bread in."

Haha had to add a small pro-atheist comment at the end.
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

pjkeeley

QuoteLike this... I say to you, "What do you put in the toaster." You say, "Toast, duh." I say ok and everyone else doesnt see a problem.

Then the atheist says, "You dont put toast in a toaster---you put bread in."
Yeah, deceiving people is all about the questions you ask, because you can ask them in such a way as to make certain answers seem obvious. 'Begging the question' as it's called it in philosophy. Theists do this all the time. They say things like "okay Mr. smartypants atheist, where did the universe come from?" -- which is obviously fallacious to the sensible mind since they are presupposing that it "came" from "somewhere" in the first place! But try and explain that to the theist, and you'll get something like "so you're saying the universe created itself out of nothing?!?!" -- again, they are presupposing that the universe was "created" by "itself" (personifying the universe) out of "nothing", which is a further assumption that there is such a thing as "nothing".

I don't think they do it on purpose most of the time, since if that were the case, wouldn't their doubt lead them to question their beliefs? You'd think so. Either way, it's enough to make you tear your hair out in frustration!  :bang:

Also, thanks all for the comments on my summary  :D

Will

The real question is:
Stupid or corrupt?

Considering the president, I find myself asking myself this question a lot lately.

tacoma_kyle

A while back someone on a off road forum called him a bible humper...haha I thought it was kinda funny.
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

SteveS

Quote from: "tacoma_kyle"bible humper
:lol:
He must really love his bible!  I'll bet the pages are all stuck together, though  (ewwwww!)

Quote from: "Willravel"The real question is:
Stupid or corrupt?

Considering the president, I find myself asking myself this question a lot lately.
Yeah, we tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.  How does the cliche go?  Something like "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"?  But you do have to wonder.  I don't buy that any president is as dumb as they appear to be -- I think they're playing everyone.  I think Bush's good ol' Texas boy routine is a pure act.

pjkeeley - I could not agree more strongly with your follow-up!  Besides being utterly unaware of the assumptions that they are making, theists also say all sorts of remarkable things that only seem simple.  Like "before there was time", or "when there was no time"; well these seem simple, but a moments thought reveals that "before" and "when" are ideas that don't make a whole lot of sense without time!  What what the heck do statements like this even mean?  How can there be a "before time", or a "when there was no time"?  Makes no bloody sense to me.

Then - you try to explain, and they get that smug grin, like "look how many hoops you have to jump through to try to prove me wrong --- I must be right or it wouldn't be so hard to explain!".

I feel like asking one of them a "simple" nonsense question, like "does hope smell green?" - and when they try to explain that the question doesn't make sense, I'll keep interrupting with things like "look, I asked a simple question, can't I just get a simple answer?  Why are you dodging it?"

Will

Quote from: "SteveS"Yeah, we tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.  How does the cliche go?  Something like "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"?  But you do have to wonder.  I don't buy that any president is as dumb as they appear to be -- I think they're playing everyone.  I think Bush's good ol' Texas boy routine is a pure act.
I was trying to relate that sentiment to the asshole kid in the video. Is he both brainwashed and a complete idiot... or is he intentionally trying to fool people? If the latter is the case, he may be the rare asshole atheist. A man who fucks with people by using religion for his own pleasure.

SteveS

I understand what you meant, Will.  In this case, I'm going with "brainwashed and complete idiot".  If I ever discover that he's running some sort of a religious scam/business (anything that involves collecting money), then I'll rapidly change my opinion to "rare asshole atheist"!

If he's faking, he's doing a marvelous job --- he seems to very sincerely buy his own B.S.  But then again - why is his name "VenomFangX"?  Doesn't seem like a very religious name to me.  Unless its a clever code?  Here's my theory:

VenomFangX, capitals are on VFX.
VFX = Very F***ing X-tian!

:wink: