News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Fire fox not playing video... Help?

Started by KDbeads, March 04, 2011, 07:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KDbeads

Firefox updated a day or 2 ago and now I can't play any video, I get error messages.  I've updated/installed flash player but no change.  I can still view vids on explorer but well, I hate using it...

Help?  Keep in mind compertering is not my forte ;)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Davin

I once had a similar problem, maybe even the same one, this is how I solved it:

Under WinXP ->) C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\Adobe\Flash Player\AssetCache
Delete everything in there, will reset any flash cookies but should fix flash not playing and even some flash audio errors.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

KDbeads

Well... that worked for a few things but not all.....
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Davin

Might be a codec problem, try installing: VLC Media Player: plays every media file.

It should overwrite and add a bunch more codecs, if you already have it, then reinstall it.

There is also a codec validation tool that will find bad codecs and replace them with fixed ones, but I will have to check for it when I get home from work because I don't remember what it was called.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Asmodean

I doubt it's a codec issue since IE can play them. There can, however, be some plugin issue with your browser.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Recusant

Quote from: "Asmodean"I doubt it's a codec issue since IE can play them. There can, however, be some plugin issue with your browser.

I agree, that sounds like the problem. This page from Mozilla Support may have an answer for you.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Cecilie

The world's what you create.

KDbeads

Hmmm... I now have audio fixed on a few vids but still now able to view anything from Youtube or MSNBC, which is about the only places I watch anything....

I've tried dumping and reinstalling flash player, restarting the computer, deleting all that stuff you mentioned Davin...... and even walking away for a while  :rant:

On MSNBC the vids load, load, load, and finally act as if I just finished watching whatever it was and Youtube tells me "an error occurred, please try again later"
(ex: I was trying to view Buster tromping through snow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N8SwBknWk8 and though I've watched it before it don't like me anymore)

Recusant... I get this error when trying to update the plug-ins:
    * Step 1: Click Update to update a plugin.
    * Step 2: Complete all recommended updates before restarting your browser.

Plugin Finding Service Error

We've encountered an error. Please try your request again later.

Recusant

Quote from: "KDBeads"I get this error when trying to update the plug-ins:
* Step 1: Click Update to update a plugin.
* Step 2: Complete all recommended updates before restarting your browser.

Plugin Finding Service Error

We've encountered an error. Please try your request again later.

OK, I'm assuming that you get that problem when using the Plugin Check page.  I know you've already installed the latest Flash, but one thing you might try is uninstalling it from your Control Panel (assuming you're using XP, if not, I can help you do it in Vista or Windows 7), then go to this page and get the installer which is specifically for Flash in "Firefox/Safari/Opera," which is a different installer than the IE version.

As for using Chrome, I myself like it, but people who are used to a less pared down browser often find it problematic.  It doesn't have any of the menus that people are used to in Firefox and IE, and really can take some getting used to. You can do pretty much everything in Chrome that you can do in the other browsers but it's not immediately apparent; there can be  a learning curve. The only glaring deficiency I've noticed which is still present in Chrome is that there is no "Print Preview."  Minor, but tiresome on occasion.  I use Firefox if I want that function.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

KDbeads

:blush:

Oh and it Vista I think.....

Wait... no vista is on the other one, I think 7 is on this one....

Recusant

You're welcome.  I'm glad I was able to help.
— H. L. Mencken