News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

As an atheist, do you find an inner resource of strength?

Started by zeromiles, August 20, 2007, 05:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

rlrose...yes, I have met one or two atheists who have said they don't think they should have to apologize to anyone for similar reasons those mailing list people stated.  Unfortunately, being an atheist does not automatically grant a good moral compass. socail skills, nor intelligence.  On the other hand, it seems that most of us do have our heads on straight and our 'hearts' in the right place.

rlrose328

Lae, yes, I agree... i have run into more social-positive atheists in the intervening two years.  But I had to lay off mailing lists and forums for almost that entire duration.  I LOVE to chat about atheist, god, religion, etc., but not when the crowd is doing their best to argue just to argue and disagree just to disagree.  There is so much negative stuff in the world (and my life, with a 7 year old on the premises) that I just can't deal with like-minded people being so nasty.  :-(
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

rlrose328

Quote from: "SteveS"Sorry that happened rlrose - I certainly experience guilt and I'm not religious in the least.  For the record, my wife also knows I feel guilt --- I think she exploits it even more effectively than the church would!

I've often wondered about how a non-theist marries a theist and makes it work...  I've read a few things about your struggle (??) and it's very interesting to me.  My hubby was raised Catholic and had a Catholic education but it was Jesuit and apparently, they are much more liberal than your average Catholic.  They actually did in-depth bible study, never once told the kids the bible is historical fact, and encouraged free-thinking.  He doesn't remember ever believing, so he was much further along in his trip to Atheism that I was.

Quote from: "SteveS"EDITED:
Everyone - please don't change your answers on my account - I just can't help blabbing my fat mouth!  I don't necessarily disagree with the answers that differ from mine - as long as you've got a reason, well, you've got a reason, I don't necessarily disagree with your reason.  Problem with simple yes/no to complex questions - depends on how you read them, how many assumptions you make, what context you employ, blah blah blah.  "Tiniest details", as rose said  :wink:

Hey, sometimes, the tiniest details are the BEST details.   :wink:   It's not the size of the argument that counts... wait... Um...  :oops:
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

SteveS

Hey rose.  My wife isn't really a typical theist - she is a very sarcastic ex-catholic, and she does not attend or wish to attend church.  I don't think she's comfortable with being called an atheist, though - I can't really get her to talk about it at all.  Mostly she just makes "off color" comments about the church.  We get along fine - there are a few other members with more actively theistic spouses, though.

Oh - and I agree, the tiniest details are the best - that's why I can't stop from blabbing my mouth.

Steve Reason

Yes to the first three, and no to the last one. Evolution easily explains where it comes from. But some people aren't wired right. Evolution isn't a perfect process.
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

Allhailtuna

Quote from: "zeromiles"I am conducting a survey for an essay I am writing about the existence or non existence of personal/ situational ethics in the lives of Atheists. Please answer the following question with only yes or no,  please.
1. As an atheist, do you find an inner resource of strength and discernment? Yes or no.
2. Where does this inner strength come from? Is it a personal/rational resource? Yes or no.
3. Is it something unexplainable? Yes or no.
4. From birth to death, do ALL people have a potential chance of realizing this inner resource of strength? Yes or no.

Thank you for taking my survey.
As much as I know that vague questions tend to be incredibly fishy, I'll answer anyways. Do NOT misinterpret my answers, and ask if you have any questions about it, or I will hunt you down and set the Invisible Pink Unicorn on you.
1. Yes, it's called a BRAIN. You could also call it muscles if you were talking about physical strength, but yeah...
2. From parts of the human anatomy that are scientifically proved, the brain, nerves, the rest of the Nervous system and muscles (Again, muscles for physical strength)
3. No, it isn't unexplainable. We aren't that bad that we still haven't figured that out after ages of biology.
4. ...Yes?

Now seriously, what kind of inner source are you implying? A 'soul' doesn't exist, using the religious definitions (And not the music one. :P)
However, a nervous system should be sufficient, or do you have any objections? After all, conscience and morals are all only remembered by the brain. I mean, when you are taught etiquette, and what is accepted as morals, you wouldn't be able to discern if something is against them without your nervous system.

Whitney

I don't think the OP plans on returning.

Churchworker

This will fix the real Churchworker by now who comes on our atheist forums else where and trolls. I'm really an atheist myself having fun at the expense of the Xians. As for having inner strength I wouldn't be making fun of theist here if I didn't.

In fact now I am going on some theist sites and really have fun dragging Churchworker's name there too. That will fix him for good.

Signed Oldjew at Ex-ChristianNet.forums

Dai

...that is really lame...

An Atheist pretending to be a Christian Fundamentalist, trolling on an Atheist forum.

To be honest, the last time I saw something like this, was when I was back in the states, and attacking Myspace Nazi/Racist groups, and they would make fake profiles of African American people, and act like fucking idiots in their own groups, fanning the racist flame.

I fucking hate Nazis and I fucking hate idiots.

We must not use these tactics, ladies and gentlemen.

Churchworker

Probably false prophets lead by Satan.

Squid

Quote from: "Churchworker"Probably false prophets lead by Satan.

I got tired of the false prophets, they became annoying middle management (always gossiping around the water cooler) so I just deal directly with Satan now.

Dai

I simply am Satan.

MommaSquid

Isn't that special?

Churchworker

And I am the biggest false prophet of all and Satan said so and he never lies except to me.

take2gemini

yes
yes
no
yes