News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Spiritual practices. (For Atheists)

Started by ForTheLoveOfAll, February 28, 2011, 02:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leedan

Quote from: ForTheLoveOfAll
I'm talking about things like meditation, yoga, certain philosophies, etc. Things that, while they may have originally been intended as a spiritual practice, they can be useful to us for their physical or mental value.

I'm willing to bet that these so called "spiritual practices" were referred to as something else before a religion was assigned.

palebluedot

removed

Rizuidad

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Willow on June 09, 2011, 11:04:05 PM
Quote from: Gawen on June 03, 2011, 03:00:58 PMHonestly, I find that a hobby takes care of all that.
Absolutely.
I might shout "Odin" with my pals as we clambour down the cliffside with our flaming torches, but make no mistake, I'm worshipping society, specifically the viking re-enactment society.
http://www.amlwchhistory.co.uk/angleseywalker/anglesey7.htm

Viking re-enacting sounds pretty damn awesome.

As for me, I just love to read fantasy novels, play survival horrors and RPGS,  as well as eat ice cream.  Yum, perfect ways to relax.

I don't need spiritual anything, since I believe in no superstitions.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Hidelight

My most "spiritual" ( do not like the word actually).... the best...most calm centering practice I have is to go out to either my garden or local markets ....pick out something amazing to cook...prepare it with the best of intentions...appropriate music....put it on a nicely garnished plate... serve it to someone...watch them enjoy...and savor that moment

If I were to tell you I could reach some kind of nervana..it would be over a good meal I prepare and serve to someone I like