News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

University Degree?

Started by Alexander, February 28, 2011, 08:46:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shy

Oh no Tristan Jay, I'm under that impression right now. My biggest fear was not having experience to get a job, but any degree maybe something to fallback on. Before I started I didn't even have a GED, so I would think I would have to be better off....I hope.  :-[

Tristan Jay

Hey Shy, I hope I didn't alarm you with my comments.  I am proud that I got my degree, and even more so given some facts I've learned at some point last week.  There's a little bit of bitterness that I can't make it work for me, and bewilderment about the impression that the world passed me by in some sense and I didn't notice it happening.

One motivating impulse is the desire to put the word out to people so they have warning to keep an eye on real-world expectations, something that I admit I have difficulty with at times.  I hope to help others avoid the disappointment and disillusionment I felt and feel.

I'm not completely without hope, mind.  There is a major factor that complicates my life, which I only recently become more and more aware of how difficult it has been making life for me.  I have ADD (possibly among other things), and it was explained at a seminar I attended people with this have a shorter attention span than early grade school children.  It was also mentioned that it's a very small percentage that manage to complete a college degree (hence my pride in pulling it off).  It makes sense, though.  Given how difficult navigating the curriculum, setting the small goals to reach the larger goals, maintaining the persistence needed to follow through all the way.  Life in general has been very difficult with this much trouble focusing and maintaining my concentration.

Abletony

Quote from: Alexander on February 28, 2011, 08:46:20 AM
What degrees/qualifications have you all got?

I'm currently working on a degree - a BA in German and Politics.

I kind of regret my choice though and am thinking I should've done sciences instead of arts. I'm actually considering doing another degree when I finish this one, either in dentistry or microbiology.

It's not important what qualifications you've got, what's important is your knowledge and skills.

Tank

Quote from: Abletony on July 25, 2011, 01:25:18 PM
Quote from: Alexander on February 28, 2011, 08:46:20 AM
What degrees/qualifications have you all got?

I'm currently working on a degree - a BA in German and Politics.

I kind of regret my choice though and am thinking I should've done sciences instead of arts. I'm actually considering doing another degree when I finish this one, either in dentistry or microbiology.

It's not important what qualifications you've got, what's important is your knowledge and skills.
Unfortunatly this is not true, if you want to get an interview for a worthwhile job. With 30+ years of business and work experience behind me I know my subject area inside out. But being 51 getting job interviews just on experience isn't easy. But having just complted a BSc in Business Computing and having 30 years of business experience things should be a little easier.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Hidelight

BSN ( majors in nursing and chemistry)
Prior to becoming employable ... a degree in American Literature (!?..I was young and loved to read!)

Tank

Quote from: Hidelight on July 25, 2011, 01:38:41 PM
Prior to becoming employable ... a degree in American Literature (!?..I was young and loved to read!)
Nursing & Chemistry that sounds an odd combination, were they mutually supportive?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Hidelight

Quote from: Tank on July 25, 2011, 02:48:28 PM
Nursing & Chemistry that sounds an odd combination, were they mutually supportive?

Yes absolutely I had to take a huge load of organic inorganic and bio/chem to get my degree in nursing so I just combined and finnished both together the chemistry was my fall back in case the whole nursing thing did not work out ..I could at least teach or tutor

fortunatly it did and I love my profession dearly

Tank

Quote from: Hidelight on July 25, 2011, 05:56:03 PM

Yes absolutely I had to take a huge load of organic inorganic and bio/chem to get my degree in nursing so I just combined and finnished both together the chemistry was my fall back in case the whole nursing thing did not work out ..I could at least teach or tutor

My younger daughter is a medical photographer and her fiance is a nurse and his mum has been a nurse/matron for 30(?) years.

Hidelight

Quote from: Tank on July 25, 2011, 06:03:18 PM
Quote from: Hidelight on July 25, 2011, 05:56:03 PM

My younger daughter is a medical photographer and her fiance is a nurse and his mum has been a nurse/matron for 30(?) years.

so you have an idea of what the world is like from our point of view then :)

sometimes wonderful and sometimes stressful and scary

I am so glad I took several chances and would encourage any kid to do the same all my education even waitressing (how I paid for school) lead to the layers I have today
I have been an RN for 25 years and counting

I loved science and wanted to go further with it but had to make a living and am so glad I did go in this direction it has been a wonderful career

5 more years and I retire into poverty however I want to stop before I am burned out and ugly! (not physically but mentally)

Tank

Quote from: Hidelight on July 25, 2011, 06:09:44 PM

so you have an idea of what the world is like from our point of view then :)

sometimes wonderful and sometimes stressful and scary
There are 7 photographers (it's a big hospital) of which 2 are female. The two girls work their arses off as they end up dealing with all the 'women's' problems and the difficult stuff like photos of still-born babies for the parents. There is very little that is 'easy' in her work day. She also has to do before and after plastic surgery shoots, abused kids, serious injuries in A&E, sucides etc etc. She grew up very quickly in her first 3 months there.