News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

New potentially habitable exoplanets found.

Started by terranus, February 03, 2011, 05:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terranus

Quote from: "Ultima22689"
Quote from: "terranus"
Quote from: "Ultima22689"http://www.kurzweilai.net/the-law-of-accelerating-returns

We will see far more advancement this century than in the 20th,  since 2000 we've already seen a stupid amount of advances.

Advances schmadvances.  :drool It's happening.

Maybe in the US, in other countries like China, India and many countries of the EU, education and IQ are steady and/or rising.

True, we have reached a point of near stagnation here in the States, whereas other countries have not. But whats to stop other countries from reaching a point of stagnation like the US?
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

Ultima22689

Because they don't have money and politics sucking the life out of the education system among other things like the US does. The education system in the US didn't just randomly go bad over time. Stupid legislation has reduced it. Stupid legislation only gets passed for money, once we fix money being in US politics then the US will get back on track. Other countries simply don't have that problem.

ForTheLoveOfAll

Quote from: "Ultima22689"Because they don't have money and politics sucking the life out of the education system among other things like the US does. The education system in the US didn't just randomly go bad over time. Stupid legislation has reduced it. Stupid legislation only gets passed for money, once we fix money being in US politics then the US will get back on track. Other countries simply don't have that problem.
Personally, I'd like to see the eradication of the monetary system alltogether. It's outdated, and obviously not working. Yes, there has been a terrible stewardship of the resources we have, as well, but it seems like the entire system the world is based upon right now was designed to fail.
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

terranus

Quote from: "ForTheLoveOfAll"
Quote from: "Ultima22689"Because they don't have money and politics sucking the life out of the education system among other things like the US does. The education system in the US didn't just randomly go bad over time. Stupid legislation has reduced it. Stupid legislation only gets passed for money, once we fix money being in US politics then the US will get back on track. Other countries simply don't have that problem.
Personally, I'd like to see the eradication of the monetary system alltogether. It's outdated, and obviously not working. Yes, there has been a terrible stewardship of the resources we have, as well, but it seems like the entire system the world is based upon right now was designed to fail.

Definitely Agree. Money is the root of all evil.
Trovas Veron!

LegendarySandwich

Isn't the removal of money a Communistic ideal...? How would it work, anyways?

karadan

Quote from: "terranus"
Quote from: "ForTheLoveOfAll"

Definitely Agree. Money is the root of all evil.

Apart from a bartering system (which would fail in today's complicated society) there's no alternative. A utopian society would fail, as has been proven time and time again in communist countries. Humans are too fallible. The only way I can see a moneyless utopia could work, is if we had a symbiotic relationship with incorruptible artificial intelligence.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

ForTheLoveOfAll

I'm fond of the idea of a resource based economy.

From what I've read, 90% of the jobs we're doing right now could be replaced by machines.

This, imo, would free humanity up to further our scientific studies, create art much more beautiful than anything we've ever seen or heard before, and formulate new philosophies.

Some days I wish the world would at this very moment turn into something like a dystopian novel. Everything crashes, and we go back to being nomads. Like the Native Americans once were.

This is just a dream of mine, but who knows. One thing is for certain, society as currently set up is a failure.
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

terranus

Well, think about it. What if money didn't exist, but everyone was required to have a job. Tell me, what do you think the main "currency" would be? Since you wouldn't ever have to "buy" anything, the only motivation to work hard would be to get more time off. Therefore, it is my theory that in a "moneyless" society where everyone was forced to work, the main currency would be sick-days, vacation-days, retirement benefits, etc.

EDIT: sorry, forgot to put  :offtopic: . Not real sure how we got on this little side-topic anyway.
Trovas Veron!