News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

The Religion of Science

Started by Number_Six, August 19, 2007, 11:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

Wait a minute....are you seriously suggesting the scientific method (what science is based on) be changed to allow for eye-witnesses?

You do realize that eye-witness testimony isn't that reliable, don't you?  Not to mention how many people must be lying about the supernatural otherwise we'd never have people claim to have witnessed events which would conflict with what others have witnessed. (ie, one person seeing Jesus visit them while another sees Mohammed)

tigerlily46514

Quotemake. I think that many arguments for atheism are variations on the theme of the supernatural not existing because science has attributed natural explanations to many natural events, with strong evidence to back these explanations, so supernatural explanations are not needed. However this position is tautological because the very Scientific Method used to base these claims will not admit the type of evidence needed to support supernatural explanations for natural events.

Number 6, please give an example of 'evidence' that could prove a supernatural event?  

Lack of any known explanation = supernatural?.....kinda medieval.....

If you can--Please exclude 'testimonies'--i think that might be all you are left with....i so think we could do a whole thread on THAT topic.  I have much to say on this "light at the end of the tunnel" thing, but that'd be getting too off the  topic of     scientific method in studying events being biased against magic.

I LOVE ALL THESE OTHER POSTS so very much!  All of ya!!!
"religious groups should stay out of politics-OR BE TAXED."

~jean
"Once you explain why you dismiss all other possible gods-- i'll explain why i dismiss your god."

tigerlily46514

http://psy.ucsd.edu/~hflowe/eyepsych.htm
  this was just a quickie Google search on the UNreliability of eyewitness accounts.  i could probably spend time and find a more concise, more powerful one.  But this one does hit some great points on the multitude of reasons why one can't rely on eye witness accounts, which like i said earlier, ARE known to be NOTORIOUSLY unreliable.   thank science for DNA testing!!!!  

Number 6, Laetus has a great question, you really can't expect science to change it's method to include eye-witness accounts, right?  It would no longer be science, then.

this next site, is also very very cute.  Please give it a look over.  If nothing else, it'll give ya a chuckle..

http://robertdfeinman.com/society/belief_standards.html

When you explain why you don't believe in Lil green leprechauns.....I'll explain why i don't believe in your god.......i wonder if science is biased against irish people....?  There's so many people who have seen them,  some have even caught them, and their lives were changed forever.....yet science won't allow their eyewitness accounts, and since no leprachauns have been brought into a lab, etc, the scientists refuse to admit they are real.

~jean
"Once you explain why you dismiss all other possible gods-- i'll explain why i dismiss your god."

rlrose328

Uh oh... Jean is talking to herself... ;)
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

tigerlily46514

oh man, you could tell?  dang!!!

~jean