News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Electronic voting machines

Started by tigerlily46514, August 15, 2007, 07:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerlily46514

QuoteIf only we could go back to the days when no one could vote but white, land-owning men, and candidates bought votes with copius amounts of booze...

Donkeyhoty, i didn't think THAT was too too funny, as someone who is female, and has close black friends.  but surely, that WAS your intention, right?

PS-i don't think we ARE that far away from  the white, rich dudes running the country's politics, anyway.....
"religious groups should stay out of politics-OR BE TAXED."

~jean
"Once you explain why you dismiss all other possible gods-- i'll explain why i dismiss your god."

donkeyhoty

Quote from: "tigerlily46514"... but surely, that WAS your intention, right?

Nope.  I was being completely literal.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

tigerlily46514

ha ha.
well, good luck with your quest for truth and personal evolution, donkeyhoty...

~jean
"Once you explain why you dismiss all other possible gods-- i'll explain why i dismiss your god."

izult

Here's a very good documentary about just that very topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzPXer7946E

watch all 9 parts of it.

tigerlily46514

OOOOH IZULT!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!  You have SOOooo made my day!!   THIS is the flick i was talking about!!!!  

I have this movie TIVO'd IT, but i had no idea it was on YouTube!!!!  WOW!  The whole flick, even!!  WOW!!!!!  Cool enuff!

See, now i did believe this flick, hook, line an sinker!!!  Am i being naive to totally believe this lil ol gramma?

~jean

Promethium147

Here's some things to consider -

Electronic voting allows widespread application or RunOff voting, which is far superior in its representation of the electorate's will - the voting process itself is a terse, effective political debate within the electorate. It is far more accurate - and, it enlightens the electorate to the entire process (apparently, a thing to be carefully avoided.)

The security issue is the machine itself - who will be trusted to make the machine? No one - it is the software, which should be universal to a wide range of generalized machines of whatever manufacture - your computer, your PDA - you Cash Machine (irony?) It is true - there is plenty of absolutely inviolable free crypto, and there has been longtime.

The issues buzzing around the vote should be viewed with caution - they may be used as a Red Herring - they give us the idea that the vote has more power than it actually does, and this can be diversion from the central issue of  - what IS the Power of the Vote?

Gore won the popular vote - and this means nothing. The electoral college has the power - and no one seems to know who they are, most are not even aware of their role, or that they exist; overwhelmingly, we vote on we know not what or why, and that vote is discarded. It is diversion, they are cheap Magicians - It's a Shell Game. You feel free, it feels good, and you don't want to awake into the Real Nightmare - much like religion.

Whatever it may be, Votes have far, far less Power than Authoring Agenda.
Let's go write some, eh?

Beware the Illusionists!

tacoma_kyle

I dont know why electic voting machines are unpopular here. I dont know the 'old' process, but if it means moving the votes by hand I'd be more worried on human error or some pissed extremist in the process. Extremists are more likely to get a hand in voting as they will find it more important than many others.
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

SteveS

Quote from: "Promethium147"The issues buzzing around the vote should be viewed with caution - they may be used as a Red Herring - they give us the idea that the vote has more power than it actually does, and this can be diversion from the central issue of - what IS the Power of the Vote?
Coupled with,

Quote from: "Promethium147"Whatever it may be, Votes have far, far less Power than Authoring Agenda.
Speak it, brother!  :wink:  I concur whole-heartedly.