News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Electronic voting machines

Started by tigerlily46514, August 15, 2007, 07:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerlily46514

even if it is proven the electronic voting machines CAN be hacked?

Especially the paperless touch screen.....gives me shivers.  Even the paper-counting machines are hackable, but the touch screen.....

You bring up an excellent point about the variability from state to state of our vote counting methods.  I'd think if it is left to local authorities, i'd imagine the ability to flamboozle the voters is then increased, by having a variety of methods possibly not overseen by a larger, hopefully ethical, educated board.....(like that ever happens, now i'm off into dream world)....
"religious groups should stay out of politics-OR BE TAXED."

~jean
"Once you explain why you dismiss all other possible gods-- i'll explain why i dismiss your god."

Amor Fati

yeah i completely agree with you, but if our elections are always between a giant douche and a turd sandwich, it really doesn't matter if they're rigged.

SteveS

:lol:

I meant to vote for "giant douce", but I misread the ballot and accidentally punched "turd sandwich".  Damn - I hate it when that happens!

To avoid confusion, next time I intend to write in "shameless shyster"!

tigerlily46514

..but still, some turd sandwhiches are worse and MORE DANGEROUS than others.....It DOES make a difference which turd is in the White HOuse, as we have all sadly witnessed, it DOES make a difference.

~jean
"Once you explain why you dismiss all other possible gods-- i'll explain why i dismiss your god."

tigerlily46514

Oh, Steve S, i just now am finding something you said on page one, somethng about if paper methods were hackable.  OH THEY ARE---as they are counted with quite hackable computers!  
Please google "Hacking Democracy" and try to see the film on how the hackability was proven.   How the paper recount (samples only) were pre-arranged by_______?  

I don't have your post right in front of me, Steve, but i recall you said you don't feel the election was stolen, something like that....  One of the Florida county computers came up with a NEGATIVE 1,560 votes for Al Gore.  1,560 minus votes.... watching that flick might change your mind whether the election could be/was stolen.  

Ps, Steve, i love your posts!  YOu are so funny!  Crack me up!!

~jean

McQ

Quote from: "Amor Fati"yeah i completely agree with you, but if our elections are always between a giant douche and a turd sandwich, it really doesn't matter if they're rigged.

:lol:

I just watched that episode again, last night. Damn, I like that one!

It's always between a douche and a turd sandwich!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

tigerlily46514

after these past six years!!!!!????  how can ya say that?  C'mon, we got the worst president ever,  the damage he has done will reverberate for eons around the world.....it does make a difference, yeah, they are all corrupt at that level of politics, but some are just dangerous.  Gore wouldn't been THIS stooopid!!!!!

~jean

McQ

Quote from: "tigerlily46514"after these past six years!!!!!????  how can ya say that?  C'mon, we got the worst president ever,  the damage he has done will reverberate for eons around the world.....it does make a difference, yeah, they are all corrupt at that level of politics, but some are just dangerous.  Gore wouldn't been THIS stooopid!!!!!

Ummm....who is this post aimed at?  :)

I can't figure out who you're responding to, Tigerlily.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

SteveS

Hi tigerlily,

My problem with allegations of vote theft is that there is always one politico or another laying the claim.  It seems like every election both reps. and dems. hurl accusations at each other about questionable election practices --- but why isn't it ever law enforcement?  I guess I would find the accusations more meaningful if they came from a "disinterested" third party (if such a thing actually exists - doubtful, right?  :wink: ).  If the allegations are provable, then why isn't there a serious effort being made to make the responsible parties pay for their crimes?  Surely, if the political opposition had irrefutable evidence on their side, they would prosecute this to the best of their considerable abilities?  They also have money, power, and ample media access, right?  When ol' Tricky Dicky (Rep) was busted breaking the law the Dems had no problem going after him and removing him from office - why are they dropping the ball on this one?

Also, political conspiracy theories inevitable produce the genius/idiot paradox --- was Bush so much of a genius that he knew exactly which counties, in which states, where going to be the pivot points ahead of time so that he could swing the election with the minimal detectable traces of tampering?  Or, is he such an idiot that he's the worst president of all history?  How can he be both?  (For the record, I'm given to doubt the genius hypothesis - so how did he so cleverly and undetectably "steal" the election?)

About the paper ballots, I'd call the machine that counts them more of a "machine" than a pure computer (i.e. read-only programs running in controller modules maybe, but those should be easy enough to inspect for fraud - where's the smoking gun?), but it really doesn't matter.  What is the alternative to a machine/computer counting the cards - a human being?  Is that more accurate, less hackable (i.e. less corruptible), more honest than the machine?  For me personally, I really don't think so - the machine is a useful intermediary that can be made to be accurate, reliable and dispassionate.  While I agree that the touch screen/no receipt machines are hugely suspicious, this is largely because I find the design to be freakin' awful - I think they also had open input slots exposed which potentially allow a voter to introduce viral code to the machine.  This is really inexcusable - a secure machine would not only have no inputs slots exposed, it would ideally include tamper detection (like an electronic secure login token - it breaks if you open it and fries itself to prevent reverse engineering).  This could well co$t dearly, but maybe its worth it.  I don't really know.

The matter is complex - so please just keep in mind that I have qualified my opinion; I'm a software developer by trade which probably makes me more likely than the norm to favor a technological method (and I am aware of this).  I'm also not a consistent supporter of either of the two major political parties in our country - I do not consider myself to be either a republican or a democrat, and frequently vote for either and/or third party candidates (I've punched the ticket for more than a few Libertarians, although as a political movement I don't agree 100% with them either).  So, I am less likely to find these sorts of debates evidence of one side "pulling a fast one" on the other side.  I mean, consider that the reps. charged that the vote recounts were being conducted in a less than honest manner also!  Who do I believe?  Neither, really.  I'd rather have a system that allows for no hanky-panky, one way or the other; my opinion on this is honest - I'm not trying to argue for a format that would make it more or less difficult for one side or the other to win.  I want it to be completely, neutrally, fair.  An incorruptible system would be unavailable for election stealing one way or the other --- if electronic machines are insecure, could they not also be used by the dems. to "steal an election"?  I don't see that a "corruptible" system necessarily favors either one side or the other - it's just a lousy system that can be improved.

Quote from: "tigerlily46514"Gore wouldn't been THIS stooopid!!!!!
The fact of the matter is that we just don't know this.  Not defending Bush, I have major issues with many of his policy choices.  I just don't think this statement is a given  :wink:  .

I'm waiting for a Monty Python style "Silly Party" to emerge - they would get my vote for sure  :D

tigerlily46514

HA HA, I FORGOT TOO!!!!!

Anyone, i guess, who really thinks it makes zero difference   which turd sandwich is in the White HOuse....I'm just all surprised at the political apathy here.  But i have felt that myself in the past.  So i do remember what that is like.  KInd of a hopeless feeling, like it just doesn't matter.  

I REMEMBER FEELING THAT:   why bother learning much about it, cuz.........

A)  they are ALL crooked....
B)  I can't do anything about it anyway
C)  it'd take too much time to search out the truths, and how would i even get past not-so-free-media to find the truth.

and now.....D)  the voting machines may be rigged, even if i did want to get involved.

So i guess i can understand....been there myseLF..BUT I'M NOT NOW.
BUT STILL----I AM JUST KINDA SURPRIZED AT ALL THE ATROCITES DURING THE LAST 6 YEARS HAVEN'T SHAKEN POLITICAL APATHY OUT OF EVERYONE.  After watching these last six years, can't you all see it IS WAY WORSE than the usual garbage?  can you all see how THIS turd sandwich caused a much larger wave of damage than anyone has seen before?  How is DID make a difference which turd in the White HOuse?

~jean

SteveS

I would respond, but I'm feeling way too apathetic  :wink:

Guilty as charged....

tigerlily46514

QuoteI guess I would find the accusations more meaningful if they came from a "disinterested" third party (if such a thing actually exists - doubtful, right?

dang-somehow, the quotes are all out of order to my reponses, i musta messed up, i'll come back and edit this later-gotta go, but il'll be back!  sorry for the difficulty if you are trying to read it now...
  Exactly!  Please do ever see "Hacking Democracy"   She WAS  not a politician, just a lil ol gramma/florist who had no background in either politics or computers, just some time on her hands.  

QuoteSurely, if the political opposition had irrefutable evidence on their side, they would prosecute this to the best of their considerable abilities? They also have money, power, and ample media access
Excellent question,i share your view on this!!  i don't have a great answer for this.  but re: ample media access, our media is SO not free.  Almost all our TV stations, and major newspapers are all owned/monopolized by a handful of conservatives.  Still, it does beg the question, why didn't this info get more attention?  Why was there no federal investigation?  

Quote--- was Bush so much of a genius that he knew exactly which counties, in which states, where going to be the pivot points ahead of time so that he could swing the election with the minimal detectable traces of tampering

Well, here is where Karl Rove comes in.   He was the midwife who birthed this whole presidency, and thought to be a genius.
Bush himself is no computer hack genius, but he has money to get them!!!!
  And Steve, political pundits DO know which states are gonna be key by the time it gets close to election time.  (heck, even i know some of that!!)  There is  A TON of money put into investigating this.  And if your brother is Gov of Fla, and the head of elections is a known ally, it wouldn't be impossible.

QuoteOr, is he such an idiot that he's the worst president of all history
Well, i'll agree with THAT point!!!!

Quote(For the record, I'm given to doubt the genius hypothesis - so how did he so cleverly and undetectably "steal" the election?)

PLease watch "Hacking Democracy".  These computers are easily hacked by using the insertable vote-counting card that is inserted into the computer.  This is the card that is then removed and contains the TALLY.  Diebold insists, on camera, repeatedly, there is no executable code in the vote counting insertable card.  But there IS, and it wasn't hard for european computer hack to chang e the exe. code around.

HOw did Al Gore come up with a NEGATIVE 1,560 votes??????  How is that POSSIBLE??  Cuz there IS an exe. code contained inside the vote-counting card.

Quote(i.e. read-only programs running in controller modules maybe, but those should be easy enough to inspect for fraud - where's the smoking gun?),

That is just it--it is NOT a read-only card that is inserted to collect the count!!  IDiebold insists it IS read-only, but it has been proven to contain
 an exe. code  that can be hacked!!  The computer itself is not the only piece they can mess with--that little card that is inserted into the computer is quite pliable, according to the experts.

QuoteWhat is the alternative to a machine/computer counting the cards - a human being? Is that more accurate, less hackable (i.e. less corruptible), more honest than the machine? For me personally, I really don't think so
Steve, i certainly agree with you very much there.  I don't know the solution.  EVen if we had some committee to hire super-ethical unbuyable computer geniuses to set up a read-only computer....we'd still end up having to trust they were 'unbuyable' wouldn't  we?

Quotethe machine is a useful intermediary that can be made to be accurate, reliable and dispassionate
That is what i always thought, too.  It can also have insertable voting cards inserted into that are guaranteed to skew the results.  Gore had a negative vote tally!!!  They'd overtweaked it!!

Quoteand frequently vote for either and/or third party candidates (I've punched the ticket for more than a few Libertarians, although as a political movement I don't agree 100% with them either
I used to do that too, but in 2000 and 2004 i voted democrat, and felt my old 'party'--which is ALWAYS subtracted from the democratic party---(do you know the republicans support the green party!!!!?  unbelievable, but it's true, i can send you the stuff if you don't beleive me) cuz i was soooooo afraid of W.  I wish the third party could ever compete, i hear ya on that one, but in reality, it is just almost like a perverse vote FOR the republicans.

Quote. I mean, consider that the reps. charged that the vote recounts were being conducted in a less than honest manner also!
Exactly,  The film profiles a very honorable man, who took his job on the voting board quite seriously, and even he was convinced there HAD been fraud when presented with the evidence.  But in his defense, he had no way to know this.

Quotewin. I want it to be completely, neutrally,
OOH, SO DO I!!!  Steve, you are way more educated on this topic than i am, i would certainly appreciate if ever you DO see this film, if you could tell meif i am being naive by buying into it?  The thing that REALLY has always bothered me too, is your question--WHY NO FUSS?  WHY NO PROSECUTION?  Steve, i gotta admit, that is a powerful point.  And i don't understand it myself.  
If anyone reading this knows, i mean knows, i'd love to know, too.  It really bothers me.

QuoteThe fact of the matter is that we just don't know this. Not defending Bush, I have major issues with many of his policy choices. I just don't think this statement is a given
Well, ya got me there.  ha ha!  To ME, it is a given, but i sound like a thesit right there, don't i?  bah ha ha!!!

dang-company has arrived, i'll be back later!!!

~jean

pjkeeley

QuoteAbout the paper ballots, I'd call the machine that counts them more of a "machine" than a pure computer (i.e. read-only programs running in controller modules maybe, but those should be easy enough to inspect for fraud - where's the smoking gun?), but it really doesn't matter. What is the alternative to a machine/computer counting the cards - a human being? Is that more accurate, less hackable (i.e. less corruptible), more honest than the machine? For me personally, I really don't think so - the machine is a useful intermediary that can be made to be accurate, reliable and dispassionate.
Here in Australia we only use paper ballots, and the elections are handled by a government department called the Australian Electoral Commission, which is strictly non-partisan. I applied for temporary work with them (the general public, rather than fulltime public servants, make up the bulk of the polling station officials) for the upcoming election this year and I had to sign a declaration stating that I wasn't affiliated with any political organizations. The votes are all counted by hand by and each polling location has what's called scrutineers to observe the process, which are representatives of each of the major parties to ensure that the votes are being counted fairly. And boy do they take it seriously.

We have a lot of trust in this system and because of all the scrutiny I think it would be very difficult for any individual or group to get away with rigging votes. Admittedly the AEC is like any government department in that it costs us a lot of taxpayer money, especially in an election which are very expensive to run. I know Americans are very sensitive about where their tax money goes and I'm not sure Americans would be willing to pay for the same sort of thing, not to mention your notorious mistrust of government.

I should also point out that Australia's population in contrast to America is very small, we only have something like 20 million people and many of them are obviously under the legal voting age of 18. So it would be a much bigger deal to have a system like ours all across America, what with your 300 hundred odd million people. Another fun fact: Australia is one of the only democracies where voting is compulsary. Failure to vote (you don't actually have to cast a valid vote for a particular candidate, you can simply submit a blank ballot or protest vote, just as long as you show up and have your name ticked off) could land you in jail or more commonly a large fine. This has its advantages and disadvantages. On the one hand, it means our elected representatives are truly OUR representatives -- chosen by the entire voting-age population of the country. This in contrast to countries with voluntary voting where turnouts are often low. On the other hand, I resent the fact that I have no say in whether or not I have any say or not. In other words, democracy should be about being free to choose, not being foced to choose! It also means that the cynic in me realises that a huge number of, dare I say it, stupid people, are taking part in the electing of those in charge of my country, when in fact they are probably so misinformed they should really stick to sitting at home on election day in front of the TV.

/end rant

SteveS

Thanks for the input pjkeeley.  I think the cost factor is a major motivator for me - this is why I don't have a problem with a machine counting ballots (or directly counting votes).  A process similar to your "scrutineers" could examine and test the machines to reasonably ensure that they are accurately and fairly counting the votes, and the end effect should be an election that doesn't take forever and doesn't employ a ton of vote counters.

tigerlily - I will check out the movie if and when I get a chance to.  Just understand that I am not defending the Diebold machines - it seems clear they are atrocious.  I just don't think we should outlaw electronic machines in general.

Also, I don't think I'm more educated than you in this matter, and if I was accusing you of anything it would be "bias" and not "naivety", but I'd far rather not accuse you of anything at all  :wink:  .  I'm just explaining why I'm skeptical of the claim that the last election was "stolen" - that's all.

donkeyhoty

If only we could go back to the days when no one could vote but white, land-owning men, and candidates bought votes with copius amounts of booze...
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson