News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

The visit of the Dalai Lama in Germany

Started by Tom62, August 06, 2007, 09:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom62

Last week the Dalai Lama visited the city of Freiburg in Germany. In his speech he made one interesting statement that both my wife (who is religious) and I liked, namely: "If you have a religion then that is great! If you don't have a religion then that is fine too". Can't imagine that the Pope or mr. Bush would ever say that.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Will

John Paul II might have said it. He was very progressive and open minded, and helped the Catholic church quite a bit. Benedict has a pope-stick up his butt. I'd like to see an atheist pope, just to stir things up a bit.

Bush would sooner admit the war on terror is a sham than admit that atheists are normal people who just have a slightly less active fantasy life.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

rlrose328

I can't imagine any religious leader or politician in this country saying anything remotely accepting like that.  Nice to know... thanks!
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Tom62

I must say that the Dalai Lama came over rather cute, but also a bit naive, on german TV. Nethertheless he is highly respected over here in Europe. Especially by intellectuals, who regard him to be far more intelligent than John Paul II.

Talking about John Paul II, he was not a progressive and open minded pope at all. In fact he was one of the most conservative popes we ever had in history, but he had a certain charisma (and very strong opinions) which attracted a lot of people. I did not like that guy at all, with his strong ties to the extreme ultra-catholic sect Opus Dei and that creepy Mother Theresa.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

MommaSquid

Buddhists, in general, are very accepting and believe that every path in life is valid.  That may be naive, but it's a lot better than shoving a particular viewpoint down the throat of everyone who disagrees (like many world and religious leaders tend to do).

I don't have the patience to be a Buddhist...there are simply too many idiots in the world.   :wink: