Where do you stand on the "Don't be a dick initiative"

Started by Tokage, February 22, 2011, 06:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

23...what you are complaining about is called debate.  There is nothing wrong with people debating each other and it is not "dickish" or a "setup" to point out problems with a point of view or ask for clarity.  Not to mention that if you think a question is a setup then get a step ahead of the person and respond in a manner that prevents the setup....really, I'd argue that a well reasoned position can't be made to look wrong with any setup question because setup questions are intended to get a person to expose that they have conflicting views.

If you truly think someone is being uncivil then report them to a moderator when it happens; not later in an unrelated thread...we have a rule against it because we don't want an uncivil atmosphere here.  But I don't see how your examples are breaking that rule unless you have some sort of mind reading device that I'm not aware of.

QuoteIf I were to post:

"Bears are monsters. They ate my grandmother and now I am terrified of them. I know lots of people agree with me. That is why all bears should be executed."

Would you in turn respond with the following?

[Quote From Twenty Three on Yesterday at 12:13:46 pm]
Bears are monsters.

Actually bears are not monsters bears are caniforms closely related to dogs in the evolutionary tree of life. Furthermore monsters do not exist, so I therefore can conclude the preceding statement is false as it is based on a myth.

I know lots of people agree with me.

How can you be certain that lots of people agree with you? Do you have facts or evidence that supports this. Please refrain from making broad generalizations about the nature of other people's consciousness until you can back it up with facts.

That is why all bears should be executed.

Bears should not be executed as they are crucial to many of the worlds ecosystems. Unless you can provide evidence as to why bears should be executed please refrain from making these types of statements.

I would certainly hope that if you posted an irrational opinion that bears should be executed just because of some silly fear based on a unlikely to happen again scenario that someone would set your straight.  Are you seriously trying to say that you should be allowed to hold a dangerous opinion without being challenged?  Sorry, but that's not going to happen anywhere (online or off) unless you only surround yourself with those who agree or those who are too meek to speak up.

Twentythree

It was a silly example used to make a point about Davins methodical dissection of posts. I apologize. No more will be said on the matter.