News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Non-religious pet peeves

Started by fester30, February 20, 2011, 08:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

CD and DVD cases, there's the ones that need extreme force and fearlessness to use, and others that let the disk go and scratch it with their useless clasp.  I had an MS Office one that used the kind of foam found in exercise mats, it worked nicely.  :rant:

YaarghMatey487

The phrase "SPEAK ENGLISH THIS IS AMERICA DAMNIT." This usually occurs with the ever growing hispanic population. For the record, most of the people who seem the angriest have the poorest vocabulary skills to begin with. I understand that some accents are difficult to understand. However, I don't think it would kill someone to pay a little more attention instead of bitching because someone used a long "i" instead of a short one. I'll never understand why we Americans are so terrified of other languages. (I'm talking to you, fellow Southerners) I grew up speaking English. My first real experience with non-native English speakers was in high school when I worked in a mall that was mostly frequented by the large hispanic population. I knew no Spanish but because of my skin tone/general appearance, I was generally taken as hispanic. No problem. It was easier to simply learn a few Spanish phrases. Why is that so difficult?
"Don't you love the Oxford Dictionary? When I first read it, I thought it was a really really long poem about everything."- David Bowie

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "YaarghMatey487"The phrase "SPEAK ENGLISH THIS IS AMERICA DAMNIT." This usually occurs with the ever growing hispanic population.

I assume that was meant to be ironic.  :)

Tank

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"
Quote from: "YaarghMatey487"The phrase "SPEAK ENGLISH THIS IS AMERICA DAMNIT." This usually occurs with the ever growing hispanic population.

I assume that was meant to be ironic.  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

YaarghMatey487

yaar. Early morning postings and very little sleep does not a coherent post make. *facepalm* I think I'll go drink a pot of coffee.
"Don't you love the Oxford Dictionary? When I first read it, I thought it was a really really long poem about everything."- David Bowie

Melmoth

When people appeal to their "FREEDOM OF SPEECH" as if it removes my freedom to openly doubt what they're saying. What are they 'free' from, exactly? All possible consequence?

Actually that fanciful, capital-F ideal of 'Freedom' gets on my tits generally. No one is free to say whatever they like, not even from legal consequences in the most 'developed' nations of the world. That word, 'Freedom,' without very tight and very contrived context, is totally meaningless. Like curse words - it's just a senseless blurt of abstract emotion. Yet people rely on it as if it's a solid, tangible thing. Maddening! :brick:
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Tank"
Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"

I assume that was meant to be ironic.  :D

I didn't mean to besmirch American English speakers, it's just the origin of the word "America" makes me see it as a tad ironic.

YaarghMatey487

You know... it's interesting that you point that out. You are entirely correct. Americans say "the US" or for dramatic effect "the goddamn United States." "America" is generally reserved for "UNAMERICUNZ" (actual Americans who have offended the conservative pod in some way) or people who actually live outside the United States.

februarystars

My university's budgeting decisions.  :rant:

I get charged outlandish "lab fees" for every class each semester for my use of department resources, which basically means use of the printers. The printers are horrible and streaky, and the colors are always off. Being a graphic design major, we are required to have quality prints for final projects, so I end up spending more money at Kinko's on top of the money that should already go toward my prints. Bad prints from the department's printers are ok for mid-critiques, but that's only when the printers actually have ink in them â€" oh, looks like I'm going back to Kinko's again.

The university just released a budget-cut proposal for the next school year. They are cutting over $900,000 from the art department. We are down to 3 graphic design professors who have to cover all the graphic design classes, and they're completely exhausted. A lot of our major-specific classes get postponed to future semesters, so it's taking students longer to complete their degrees, especially when your class gets cancelled and it's a prerequisite for a class you planned on taking the following semester. They even fired the one professor who actually kept our whole department accredited. When she pointed this out to them, they grudgingly rehired her. WTF!? We have few resources, and what we have is shit. I mean where is my tuition money going?

Oh right... that brand new 3-block "upscale gated community" dorm complex that has washing machines that TEXT you when your clothes are done. And the new multi-million dollar parking garage with ornamental brick work. The parking lots are never full, so it's beyond me why they felt the need to build that monstrosity. It's just more and more of the students' tuition fees being funneled into completely useless projects.

I know there's plenty that is over my head when it comes to university budgeting, but when they release the information of the dollar amounts they are cutting from programs, and yet they are apparently redirecting this money into over-the-top new buildings that they can't seem to afford, something tells me they have their priorities wrong. I'm just happy that I'm graduating before the cuts take effect.
Mulder: He put the whammy on him.
Scully: Please explain to me the scientific nature of "the whammy."

fester30

Quote from: "februarystars"My university's budgeting decisions.  :rant:

I get charged outlandish "lab fees" for every class each semester for my use of department resources, which basically means use of the printers. The printers are horrible and streaky, and the colors are always off. Being a graphic design major, we are required to have quality prints for final projects, so I end up spending more money at Kinko's on top of the money that should already go toward my prints. Bad prints from the department's printers are ok for mid-critiques, but that's only when the printers actually have ink in them â€" oh, looks like I'm going back to Kinko's again.

The university just released a budget-cut proposal for the next school year. They are cutting over $900,000 from the art department. We are down to 3 graphic design professors who have to cover all the graphic design classes, and they're completely exhausted. A lot of our major-specific classes get postponed to future semesters, so it's taking students longer to complete their degrees, especially when your class gets cancelled and it's a prerequisite for a class you planned on taking the following semester. They even fired the one professor who actually kept our whole department accredited. When she pointed this out to them, they grudgingly rehired her. WTF!? We have few resources, and what we have is shit. I mean where is my tuition money going?

Oh right... that brand new 3-block "upscale gated community" dorm complex that has washing machines that TEXT you when your clothes are done. And the new multi-million dollar parking garage with ornamental brick work. The parking lots are never full, so it's beyond me why they felt the need to build that monstrosity. It's just more and more of the students' tuition fees being funneled into completely useless projects.

I know there's plenty that is over my head when it comes to university budgeting, but when they release the information of the dollar amounts they are cutting from programs, and yet they are apparently redirecting this money into over-the-top new buildings that they can't seem to afford, something tells me they have their priorities wrong. I'm just happy that I'm graduating before the cuts take effect.

I feel you.  I know when I was in college the amenities at the dorm were nice and all, but only when they took care of the amenities related to education.  I was lucky enough to have both worlds taken care of, with great labs and research facilities, and great dorm facilities.  I'd definitely sacrifice the dorm amenities for the research facilities and lab equipment.

februarystars

Quote from: "fester30"I feel you.  I know when I was in college the amenities at the dorm were nice and all, but only when they took care of the amenities related to education.  I was lucky enough to have both worlds taken care of, with great labs and research facilities, and great dorm facilities.  I'd definitely sacrifice the dorm amenities for the research facilities and lab equipment.

When I first got here, they told us our art & design department lab fees went toward two computer labs fully equipped with new Apple computers. Since then, they took out all the school-owned computers and we have to buy our own Apple laptops with minimum requirements as listed in the university handbook plus all the software. Funny thing is, our lab fees per class have increased by 25% since then!  :upset:
Mulder: He put the whammy on him.
Scully: Please explain to me the scientific nature of "the whammy."

Tank

Quote from: "februarystars"
Quote from: "fester30"I feel you.  I know when I was in college the amenities at the dorm were nice and all, but only when they took care of the amenities related to education.  I was lucky enough to have both worlds taken care of, with great labs and research facilities, and great dorm facilities.  I'd definitely sacrifice the dorm amenities for the research facilities and lab equipment.

When I first got here, they told us our art & design department lab fees went toward two computer labs fully equipped with new Apple computers. Since then, they took out all the school-owned computers and we have to buy our own Apple laptops with minimum requirements as listed in the university handbook plus all the software. Funny thing is, our lab fees per class have increased by 25% since then!  :rant:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

chempel96

My biggest pet peeve recently:
Millionaire football players bitching about not making enough millions.
Just catch the damn football and shut up.

darkcyd

Wet bathroom floor leading to wet socks. hate it...FRIGGIN HATE IT

DaveD

Quote from: darkcyd on May 31, 2011, 04:31:27 PM
Wet bathroom floor leading to wet socks. hate it...FRIGGIN HATE IT
Perhaps some target practice is in order.  ;D