News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Non-religious pet peeves

Started by fester30, February 20, 2011, 08:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

People keep saying that my generation is "too sensitive" and needs thicker skin because we don't tolerate racism, sexism, and transphobia yet my Facebook wall is filled with people losing their shit because a clothing retailer is selling a tee shirt with an upside down American flag. And old people call millennials crazy.  ::)

I'm posting this here so I don't get reamed by my family for being too opinionated. 
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Harmonie

Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 11, 2016, 12:01:06 AM
People keep saying that my generation is "too sensitive" and needs thicker skin because we don't tolerate racism, sexism, and transphobia yet my Facebook wall is filled with people losing their shit because a clothing retailer is selling a tee shirt with an upside down American flag. And old people call millennials crazy.  ::)

I'm posting this here so I don't get reamed by my family for being too opinionated.

Don't forget the reactions to Starbucks releasing a red cup for the Christmas season.

They think they're sooo thick-skinned, but really they're just blinded by hypocrisy. Even worse that they can't see how racism, sexism, and transphobia actually hurt people, and that's why there are people standing up against them.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Biggus Dickus

I do not like Axe Body Spray.
I do not like it in the hay.
I do not like it in the shop.
I would not like it on a mop.
I do not like it here or there.
I do not want it anywhere.

I can't stand the smell of Axe Products, maybe it's me in particular because I don't mind the smell of other fragrances, whether for a man a woman or both, but this stuff is to me horrendous. (So maybe it is simply an aversion similar to taste, such as when a person doesn't like the taste of liver, or other food?)

But this product seems to be such a generic type of fragrance, as it smells the same on everyone who wears it. Seriously you could spray this on a goat and it would smell the same like a goat, whereas other fragrances, such as a musk will smell different on varying persons depending on their body chemistry.

My sister wears a fragrance occasionally that smells wonderful on her, I mean it makes me crazy so I bought some for my wife, but it simply didn't smell the same on her, not bad just not as good as it does on my sister.

Plus, it seems like those who wear Axe don't know how much of it to put on, seriously do they need to bathe in the crap? I bet they use not only the spray, butt the fucking body wash, shampoo and deodorant as well.

I took the afternoon off because it is such a glorious day outside, having a coffee while waiting for my son to meet me so we can hang out together and I had to move to a different table because the smell was so strong coming off some dude at the table next to me. (I didn't say anything, but I did curse him to the gods under my breath)

There used to be an Axe guy at the Athletic Club I belong to, which was worse having to try and work out next to someone covered in this stuff. Thankfully he's no longer a member.

I do think my poem is pretty good though, Axe inspired, styled after the Doctor Seuss.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Pasta Chick

Axe is really gross.

Possibly the only thing grosser than Axe itself is their advertising.

Harmonie

Heyyy I like the Anarchy For Her body wash. I use that, and I think it smells amazing. I don't like the smell of any other body washes anywhere near as much.

I don't know about the guy kinds, though. If they smell anything like men's deodorant, I could easily agree that they're disgusting.

The brand itself is annoying, though. I remember how several years back they always had those stupid commercials with that guy lifting up his arms and water spraying out. That was so "WTF? Ew. Gross." and annoying.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Crow

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on April 14, 2016, 06:38:24 PM
But this product seems to be such a generic type of fragrance,

That's because it is. Essential oils and fragrances are expensive and don't mix well with deodorising products so you get cheap artificial smells that don't really smell of anything. If you want a deodorising product it is better to get something cheap and fragrance free like an alum block (I have had one that has lasted for 3 years and just looks like a slightly smaller version of the one I bought but with rounded edges) and spend your money on a decent eau de parfum or eau de toilette.
Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Harmonie on April 15, 2016, 01:53:50 PM
The brand itself is annoying, though. I remember how several years back they always had those stupid commercials with that guy lifting up his arms and water spraying out. That was so "WTF? Ew. Gross." and annoying.

:twitch:

:rainbowpuke:

Taking sudoresis to a whole new level...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Biggus Dickus

Why are all dry-cleaners so unsociable?

We used to have one in the building where I work, and the reason I used them was because of convenience, but they weren't exactly super friendly or sociable, they weren't mean or discourteous, but they were nowhere close to being smiling and friendly, but they closed (No surprise right?) so I took some cleaning and stuff I need some sewed to a place I pass on the way to work and it's the same thing. Dude doesn't smile, no greeting...I looked at him, smiled and said Buenos Dias and he looked at me like I farted or something. (I would take my stuff elsewhere, but I was running a bit late and didn't want to drag this shit around with me the rest of the week, so I left it there.)

Another place I used to use years ago was the same...which got me thinking, I've never been to a dry cleaner which I can recall that did have anyone working there that was really friendly and sociable, who knew how to greet and deal with customers.

Does working in a dry cleaning place just suck so much that it destroys their social skills or is it me? Please tell me, I can take it.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Icarus

Exposure to all those volatile and nasty chemicals in the dry cleaners establishment alters ones brain cells and ultimately their personality. That and the fact that so many customers give them a hard time about a wine stain or other earth shaking damage to their Brooks Brothers jacket is enough to make them kind of bitchy. That ain't all......those people are not paid very well.

Dry cleaning is a vanishing art, what with all the new and better fabrics that can withstand ordinary washing cycles. 

xSilverPhinx

People who talk in the cinema.

Yesterday there was this couple sitting behind us who just wouldn't shut up, the woman kept mooing like a cow whenever she felt emotional and/or surprised, which really got on my nerves. Freaking farm animals! Learn some movie theatre etiquette!   :rant1:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

Doughnut dollies that feel traffic laws are beneath them.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Dave

Quote from: Father Bruno on April 20, 2016, 10:11:05 PM
Why are all dry-cleaners so unsociable?

We used to have one in the building where I work, and the reason I used them was because of convenience, but they weren't exactly super friendly or sociable, they weren't mean or discourteous, but they were nowhere close to being smiling and friendly, but they closed (No surprise right?) so I took some cleaning and stuff I need some sewed to a place I pass on the way to work and it's the same thing. Dude doesn't smile, no greeting...I looked at him, smiled and said Buenos Dias and he looked at me like I farted or something. (I would take my stuff elsewhere, but I was running a bit late and didn't want to drag this shit around with me the rest of the week, so I left it there.)

Another place I used to use years ago was the same...which got me thinking, I've never been to a dry cleaner which I can recall that did have anyone working there that was really friendly and sociable, who knew how to greet and deal with customers.

Does working in a dry cleaning place just suck so much that it destroys their social skills or is it me? Please tell me, I can take it.

Same this side of the Pond. Just a lousy job dealing with people's grotty clothes or is it an effect of breathing those fumes every day I wonder. Another aspect might be lots of people wanting to tell them the anecdote of how their clithes got stained with something yeucky at last night's party. That would drive me anti-social!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74