News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Non-religious pet peeves

Started by fester30, February 20, 2011, 08:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Extropian

Tom62 writes,
                     We also have to contend with countries that don't care like China.

There's a question of equity here.
                     The industrial revolution in Europe and then the rapid industrialisation of North America created the problem. They were pumping garbage into the atmosphere like there was no tomorrow. China's contribution so far has been miniscule by comparison.
                      Nations like China quite naturally are disinclined to sacrifice their rate of development to ameliorate the worst affects of a problen they did not create.
                      Understand where the responsibilities lie, act nicely and accept the burden that is correctly yours.
                      The highly industrialised nations should lead by shining example and suggest politely that others should follow. Barring a hot war, that's the most sensible approach and the one most likely to succeed.
                      I know morality and politics are uneasy bed-fellows but creating a moral obligation that you can ask others to follow is about the only avenue open.

Extropian
Few nations have been so poor as to have but one god. Gods were made so easily, and the raw material cost so little, that generally the god market was fairly glutted and heaven crammed with these phantoms.
Robert Green Ingersoll
Read more: http://www.brainy

SSY

Quote from: "Extropian"Tom62 writes,

The industrial revolution in Europe and then the rapid industrialisation of North America created the problem. They were pumping garbage into the atmosphere like there was no tomorrow. China's contribution so far has been miniscule by comparison.
                      Nations like China quite naturally are disinclined to sacrifice their rate of development to ameliorate the worst affects of a problen they did not create.
                      Understand where the responsibilities lie, act nicely and accept the burden that is correctly yours.
                      The highly industrialised nations should lead by shining example and suggest politely that others should follow. Barring a hot war, that's the most sensible approach and the one most likely to succeed.
                      I know morality and politics are uneasy bed-fellows but creating a moral obligation that you can ask others to follow is about the only avenue open.

Extropian

Nations of the west had no idea what they were doing, the atmosphere was significantly different back then, "you did it first!" is rarely the most constructive attitude to take when trying to solve problems internationally. Also, the idea that the burden is "yours" based on the pollution belched into the atmosphere by the country folk of ones ancestors, I find laughable.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Extropian

SSY writes;
                 Nations of the west had no idea what they were doing,
                 They knew exactly what they were doing. It was they who didn't care

the atmosphere was significantly different back then,
                Of course it was.....it was cleaner

"you did it first!" is rarely the most constructive attitude to take when trying to solve problems internationally.
               You are trivialising the argument to avoid responsibility

Also, the idea that the burden is "yours" based on the pollution belched into the atmosphere by the country folk of ones ancestors, I find laughable.
               Of course you do. It's the least illegitimate way you have available in trying to avoid responsibility.

That the pollution of Earth's atmosphere by western industry occurred over 6 or 7 generations is irrelevant. Those generations benefitted enormously regardless of the degradation. The west's actions are polluting the air breathed by millions who made virtually no contribution to that degradation, yet you maintain they are as responsible for fixing the problem.
               In no way do I wish to inflame the issue and to make this topic controversial, but the reader may quite rightly claim that India is a major offender as well but has escaped your condemnation because China is the West's new bogey-man since Russia became a democratic nation.

Extropian
Few nations have been so poor as to have but one god. Gods were made so easily, and the raw material cost so little, that generally the god market was fairly glutted and heaven crammed with these phantoms.
Robert Green Ingersoll

fester30

Quote from: "Jester"I used to have a Career Choices teacher that said "granite" instead of "granted".
Similarly, I used to have a friend that said "ambiance" in place of "ambulance".

I'm a freak about correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc..

One of my pet peeves involves people who correct others on their grammar or spelling even when, due to context, it's obvious what the person was trying to say.  My wife has a friend that is like a walking dictionary.  "That word is not in the dictionary," or "The REAL definition of that word is..."  I shut her up with "ginormous."  She used to give me static for using that word, until it was officially added to Webster's.  I used that example to point out that the holy dictionary isn't the rule book for the language and use of words, but instead is there to describe how words are commonly used.  As the language changes in common use, the dictionary changes along with it.  Therefore, the dictionary should never be used as the be-all-end-all.

fester30

Quote from: "Extropian"Tom62 writes,

Extropian

"ameliorate" is your smart person word of the day.  You are not allowed another until tomorrow.  I only have so much time to look these things up.

Alexander

People who never brush their teeth.

kelltrill

Quote from: "fester30"One of my pet peeves involves people who correct others on their grammar or spelling even when, due to context, it's obvious what the person was trying to say.  

Seconded. I have a friend who will say something like, "that's the first time you've used "literally" correctly all night," or, "'Real reality' is tautologist," to someone before addressing what they had actually said.
Also, people who flick off their cigarette ash out of their car windows or throw them out of the window.
People who drive slowly in the fast lane.
People who know a little bit about everything but nothing about one thing.
People who say things like, "I'm not normal," or, "I'm so WEIRD!"
People who think they are being cute when you ask them to pass you something like tomato sauce and they so no.
"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."

hismikeness

Over the weekend I saw an example of this pet peeve at the NFL combine: When someone gets up in front of a group of reporters at a press conference and says, "I would like to personally apologize for...[insert indiscretion]." Guess what dipshit? You're not personally apologizing to anyone when you are standing in front of a large crowd.

And it always seems like it's athletes and politicians saying this...
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

fester30

Quote from: "hismikeness"Over the weekend I saw an example of this pet peeve at the NFL combine: When someone gets up in front of a group of reporters at a press conference and says, "I would like to personally apologize for...[insert indiscretion]." Guess what dipshit? You're not personally apologizing to anyone when you are standing in front of a large crowd.

And it always seems like it's athletes and politicians saying this...

I want to see the losing team praise and thank their god for their embarrassing loss, and the winning team say they're going to six flags instead of disneyland.

Ihateyoumike

People who join a forum and don't bother to learn to use the quote feature.

Improper use of the double negative. (I didn't see nothin')

People chewing with their mouths open, or worse, making that smacking noise while chewing.

People who get themselves involved in pyramid schemes, and try to sell you on them. (as annoying as the religious who do the same thing.)

People who get loose and lose mixed up. (everyone online)  

That's enough for now.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Alexander

Rude doctors. Seriously, if you're not going to care for your patients, why become a doctor in the first place?

Tank

Quote from: "Alexander"Rude doctors. Seriously, if you're not going to care for your patients, why become a doctor in the first place?
An over inflated ego or 'God' complex? And it pays very well!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Cecilie

People who spit.
People who stick their gum under tables, chairs etc.
People who don't take responsibility.
Girls who pretend to be dumber than they actually are.
People who are immature most or all of the time.
People who don't like to discuss and don't have opinions on things.
Spoiled brats.
People who are too uptight.
People who have an annoying dialect.
People who talk too loud.

There are a lot of things that annoy me. This is maybe 1% of it.
The world's what you create.

Extropian

Road users who think the white arrows painted on a road are there for decoration.

Road users who will practically tear their car's steering wheel off to do a nose-in park rather than reverse park.

Women picking up their sprogs from school in massive 4WDs who are convinced that no matter what mayhem, outlawry, outrage or confusion they cause, they have an inalienable right to do so.

Road users who think that the sole act of activating their blinker magically opens up a space in the lane they want to move to.

Road users who don't know when to use a blinker.

Road users who think a GIVE WAY sign is the same as a STOP sign.

Road users who have no idea what responsibilities attach to a right-hand turn in a traffic system that drives on the left side of a road.

Road users who think they know so much that they can instruct their wives, girlfiends and children how to drive.

There are other road user peeves but at my age, thinking of these is a massive feat of memory.

Extropian
Robert Green Ingersoll

Alexander

Chefs who care more about food presentation than what it actually tastes like.