News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Hello

Started by Ulver, February 15, 2011, 04:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulver

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"Hello, here's a snack for later.  :sheep:

Why, thank you!

Cecilie

Quote from: "Ulver"
Quote from: "Cecilie":P
The world's what you create.

karadan

Hi Ulver. Welcome to the board.

You don't happen to have one of those amazing three wolf shirts as well huh?  :D

QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Ulver

Quote from: "Cecilie"Sucks for you. :P

Haha I'm prone to agree! A friend of mine is Dutch and I always wish I had been raised in a more free-thinking country.

Ulver

Quote from: "karadan"Hi Ulver. Welcome to the board.

You don't happen to have one of those amazing three wolf shirts as well huh?  :D

Thank you! *looks down at that exact image on shirt*...nooo? Haha
No Napoleon Dynamite clothing for me, but I do love wolves.

Ulver

I've been lurking around the threads, and must say I'm excited to be exposed to some new ideas and educate myself. I am relatively new to this, as most of my studies have been in social science and biology. I sort of ignored the world of theism and avoided developing a personal stance. As a child, I was casually taught to believe in Christianity, but never exposed to the bible nor really even taught about what religion actually is. We didn't go to church, but I had a fundie friend who sort of soured me to it all. We listened to quite a bit of Christian music, and her family threw their judgments around. Her uncle at one point began to question his faith, and it was basically whispered about like he had admitted to raping children. I remember thinking the whole thing was stupid, sort of scary, and wondered why I did not feel any connection to this man in the sky. I started to read up on religions when I was in my late teens.

At about 21, I decided it was ok that I didn't believe in a god, and realized I never had. It seems to me, faith is a way to explain away the harsh realities of life, and is a cultural addiction like any other. Religious history leaves me shaking my head, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading Hitchens' take on that. Currently, I am working on figuring out exactly what I believe, and ways to back up those beliefs in a logical manner.

This post through me over the edge to join this site haha. In a thread titled "Atheists are going to burn in hell, just like they should", someone felt the thread held a malicious nature, and questioned the person:

Person 1: No, it is not an act of malice, she is simply stating what the Bible states.

Person 2: That doesn't make it any less malicious. If the bible states I should have my penis cut off for masturbating, you can't exactly cut mine off and say "sorry, this isn't malicious.. the bible says it".

OP (not at all joking): Dude, if there were a verse in the Bible that stated such,  as clearly, then yes, it would be a statement of fact, not malicious.

:eek:

Tank

Quote from: "Ulver":eek:
I would sincerely hope my wife would object as well!  lol
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ulver

terranus

Well, I was only asking to see if you knew the meaning of it, or if you're Norwegian and whatnot.

Took me a while haha. I discovered the meaning only through interest in the band. I'm not Norwegian.

Oh thank god, i think we've met our quota on both Norwegians and Texans around here.

Bonvenon al la Forumo!
[spoiler:3dsvvfds]Welcome to the Forum![/spoiler:3dsvvfds]
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

Cecilie

Quote from: "terranus"
Well, I was only asking to see if you knew the meaning of it, or if you're Norwegian and whatnot.

Took me a while haha. I discovered the meaning only through interest in the band. I'm not Norwegian.

Oh thank god, i think we've met our quota on both Norwegians and Texans around here.
You love us. Admit it.

terranus

Well honestly considering that nothern European countries (and randomly the Czech Republic) are the most non-religious countries in the world, I'm not surprised that there are a number of you guys here.

But the number of Texans here is just amazing to me.  :bananacolor:
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

Cecilie

Quote from: "terranus"Well honestly considering that nothern European countries (and randomly the Czech Republic) are the most non-religious countries in the world, I'm not surprised that there are a number of you guys here.
There aren't many Swedes or Danes here though.

Tank

Quote from: "Cecilie"
Quote from: "terranus"Well honestly considering that nothern European countries (and randomly the Czech Republic) are the most non-religious countries in the world, I'm not surprised that there are a number of you guys here.
And that is the case on the other atheist fora I have frequented.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

karadan

That's because most of them have no reason to even consider religion as a conversation topic. It is such a non-entity in Scandanavia.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Cecilie

Quote from: "karadan"

That's because most of them have no reason to even consider religion as a conversation topic. It is such a non-entity in Scandanavia.
Yes, I know, I live there remember? But that still doesn't explain why there are three Norwegians (of my knowledge) and no Swedes or Danes.