News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Where is "g"od?

Started by father nicetouch, February 14, 2011, 08:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

Quote from: "father nicetouch"
Quote from: "Epimetheus"2. Unless you can prove somehow that Christians all have 'messed up little heads' and not just state something out of prejudice then don't bother.

Hold on a sec. I think I need to explain myself better. If you believe in something that does not exist and that something that does not exist brings you comfort and joy, you still think everything is alright up there? I’m not saying you are crazy. My wife believes in God. Do I think she is crazy? Nope. I think she is the best wife/mother in the world and like badpoisn said earlier we do not care what you believe in as long as your belief does not force us to live by what you think is morally right. If you believe your God is telling you that something is wrong then don’t do it. But most “religious” people are not happy with just them not doing it, right? You want everybody else to follow your belief and that’s when we have a problem!

Now, about the “messed up little heads”. If you got offended by my comment I’m sorry. But at the same time I could care less if you did. That is my opinion. I have had people tell me I’m crazy because I say I do not believe in God and I do not get all heartbroken and cry about it? That is their opinion about people that do not believe in God. I believe you should not be so sensitive on an atheist forum.

But If anyone else thinks I was out of line please let me know! Anyone! Let me know that I was being an insensitive asshole or that I was right to express my opinion! (Other than you Epimetheus)
\

So...your wife is messed up in the head?  I don't think she'd appreciate if you had made that same comment around her...just saying.

Lots of atheist members here use to be some sort of religious and their brains never suddently became non messed up...you can believe that all religious people are messed up in the head if you like but that belief would be no more justified than religious belief.  Also, please keep in mind that while you are free to state your opinion (as long as you are also willing to discuss it) that HAF does have a civility rule and atheist opinions of theists (and vis versa) often tread that line (or even cross over it) if we speak too frankly.

ForTheLoveOfAll

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"
Quote from: "father nicetouch"If you believe in something that does not exist and that something that does not exist brings you comfort and joy, you still think everything is alright up there?
Yes. That is part of how our brains work, like it or not.
Does that make it bad if I believe Michael Jackson is still alive?
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "ForTheLoveOfAll"
Quote from: "father nicetouch"If you believe in something that does not exist and that something that does not exist brings you comfort and joy, you still think everything is alright up there?
That's not even close to the same thing, and you know it.

father nicetouch

Well, in fact i did tell her she had a messed up head! But i guess its not the same talking to someone you know and knows that you are joking to say the comment to poeple in a public forum. I guess i was wrong in expressing that comment in that fashion. When i told her that comment it was after a long conversation about the catholic church. I asked how she could still believe in god and the bible after all the fucked up shit that has been happening. She answered almost the same answer everyone has answered me. She said the bible was wrote by men and the church was manipulated by men as well. I ask her if she could'nt believe that God could have also been created by the same men. She said no. She still hangs on to the believe in god! My mother is the same way. I love them both! So i told her she had a messed up head and if the believe in god makes her happy then more power to her! She still does the sigh of the cross on me and i let her do it. Im at peace knowing she thinks im being protected.
We have talked about this before! I know you love me! But I think it would be better if we just stayed as friends, Jesus!

I tried talking to Satan the other day, but just like god, there was no response!

DJAkuma

Quote from: "ForTheLoveOfAll"

Some may think it's a thrilling idea but I'd just tell you to beat it. Do you remember the time you could look at the man in the mirror and ask yourself if the issue is as black or white as it seems?

ForTheLoveOfAll

QuoteSome may think it's a thrilling idea but I'd just tell you to beat it. Do you remember the time you could look at the man in the mirror and ask yourself if the issue is as black or white as it seems?

You just became my favorite person.  :bananacolor:
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "father nicetouch"Many people think he is in the heart of who ever believes in him. I also believe god is inside of who ever believes in him. But I do not believe he is in their hearts! He is just inside of that messed up little head of theirs. They want to believe in god so much that they actually believe he is in there hearts! If only religious people  used that brain power for rationality
Heart is a biological pump. Wanting there to be something supernatural about it does not make it so... And yet, some people actually believe feelings originate in the heart too, not just gods..!  :raised: Besides pains and aches and flutters and all the cool arrythmias, that is.

I don't doubt it, the heart was thought to be the source of all emotion in ancient Greece. In ancient Eygpt too. The heart was carefully removed and mummified along with other organs deemed important whereas the brain was tossed away.

I wouldn't be too surprised if I came across someone who literally believed that the physiological effects felt as coming from the heart meant that that organ was a thinking organ.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey