News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Teen dies from sharia lashes after being raped

Started by Tom62, February 03, 2011, 08:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian85

Cases like this one makes me so angry I want to hit someone. Preferably the perpetrators of this filthy belief. Lashing a girl to death because a bigger, stronger, meaner person forced himself on her? Way to blame the victim!
And peolpe still wonder why I don't like religions...

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"
Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"If you wish to continue making this mistake, have at it.
Oh? Why is it a mistake?

Because terms such as "good" or "evil" are only appropriate to free agents.  That is why.  A religion cannot in itself be violent.  It may encourage it, but then, most do, and your singling out Islam is shown to be bullshit.   Do you blame the bridge on collapsing, when it is men who drive a heavy truck over it?  You're normally a pretty smart poster and I'm surprised I have to clear this up, but a belief system cannot in and of itself command action.  What actions are taken in its name, furthermore, are not necessarily its fault, because you must address the fact that the actors in the drama must interpret the words.  

While you complain about theists using the Koran to justify the murder of tens of thousands, do you also apologize for the use of Darwin's writings in the murder of millions?  Do you complain against the misuse of Darwin's words in the concepts of Social Darwinism?  It is the same phenomenon here.  Please answer, specifically, this point, because it is crucial: you are arguing that the source is responsible for the outcome.  I argue that it is the interpretation of the followers.

I've already shown that well over 99% of all Muslims are not violent.  If you wish to continue this discussion, bring some numbers, or fucking quit.  And before you whitewash Christian violence, you must first account for Northern Ireland, and Druse violence in Lebanon.  

QuoteYou're right -- there is no difference.

Thank you for admitting as much.

Quote from: "Thump"That whoosh you're hearing is the sound of the point flying past your head.
Quote from: "Sammich"I got the point. Atheism isn't a religion/ideology.

Sadly, it too often is.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"
Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"
Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"If you wish to continue making this mistake, have at it.
Oh? Why is it a mistake?

Because terms such as "good" or "evil" are only appropriate to free agents.  That is why.  A religion cannot in itself be violent.  It may encourage it, but then, most do, and your singling out Islam is shown to be bullshit.   Do you blame the bridge on collapsing, when it is men who drive a heavy truck over it?  You're normally a pretty smart poster and I'm surprised I have to clear this up, but a belief system cannot in and of itself command action.  What actions are taken in its name, furthermore, are not necessarily its fault, because you must address the fact that the actors in the drama must interpret the words.  

While you complain about theists using the Koran to justify the murder of tens of thousands, do you also apologize for the use of Darwin's writings in the murder of millions?  Do you complain against the misuse of Darwin's words in the concepts of Social Darwinism?  It is the same phenomenon here.  Please answer, specifically, this point, because it is crucial: you are arguing that the source is responsible for the outcome.  I argue that it is the interpretation of the followers.

I've already shown that well over 99% of all Muslims are not violent.  If you wish to continue this discussion, bring some numbers, or fucking quit.  And before you whitewash Christian violence, you must first account for Northern Ireland, and Druse violence in Lebanon.  

QuoteYou're right -- there is no difference.

Thank you for admitting as much.

Quote from: "Thump"That whoosh you're hearing is the sound of the point flying past your head.
Quote from: "Sammich"I got the point. Atheism isn't a religion/ideology.

Sadly, it too often is.
I concede to your points. You win.

Thumpalumpacus

"Win"?  I didn't realize we were sporting.  I thought this was simply a discussion.

Forgive me if I violated a taboo of yours.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Har

Islam clearly isn't a religion of peace. If it were we wouldn't have to worry about Muslim fundamentalists. Take Jainism for example, now there's a religion of peace. The more extreme Jainist you are the less violent you are.