Abortion, MMCs and political incorrectness

Started by Asmodean, February 05, 2011, 09:14:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Existentialist

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "Existentialist"
Quote from: "Asmodean"scrap

Scrap.  

There is a word for an emotionless individual who treats human life like an inanimate object.  Psychopath.

There is a lot of truly psychopathic reasoning coming from Asmodean today.  At the moment I am in two minds about whether he is doing it just for attention, or if he really believes it.  It's pretty extreme, pretty sickening, and we seem to be completely powerless to respond to it in this forum on the level we really want to. Some Laid Back Lounge this is turning out to be.

Oh no...I said you called him a sociopath when instead you said psychopath...ya..I'm a big liar  :raised: If repeating such an accusation is not a character attack then I don't know what is.
You are not using your logic very well.  I did not call Asmodean a psychopath.  Besides which, psychopath is not a term of abuse, it is a legitimate word to describe someone who has a lack of empathy, feeling or concern for others.  I introduced the concept in the conversation, but please could you actually read my words as you have quoted them, as I did not call Asmodean a psychopath.  Infact you only need to read the paragraph you quoted to realise that I was being ambiguous about whether it was accurate to describe his actions.  It is quite legitimate, in a thread discussing the rights and wrongs of telling a woman with a disabled child that she should have had him aborted before he was born and that he is a train wreck, to introduce the concept of psychopathy or sociopathy.  I don't see what's wrong with that.  The hypothesis that psychopathy is in play is a legitimate one to be testing.

The issue was not about whose choice of words was psychopath or sociopath.  You may accuse me of splitting hairs, but if I am being accused of something, and the rules of the forum are being invoked, I would thank you at least to be accurate in your accusations.

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "Existentialist"to say the things that I have said throughout this thread about the highly emotional and deeply distressing situation that has been described.  If people are no longer permitted to show a human, emotional response to this situation
Yes....highly emotional.

I don't really even see why telling some lady a truthful opinion is so horrible (we'd probably be better off as a society if we were all just a bit more honest with each other)...ya, it was rude to tell her that her baby is pretty much worthless but in his mind she is being equally if not more rude by making society pay for her poor decision.

Again, please use the logic you have credited yourself with having and read what I said.  I said the situation is highly emotional and deeply distressing.  I did not say that I was "highly emotional".  If I am being accused of something, I would thank you once again to be accurate in your accusations.

If you don't think that telling some lady a truthful opinion is horrible, then you won't mind me telling you that I think out of anger and not logic you are wilfully distorting the truth about what I have said about a man telling a woman she should have had her train wreck of disabled child aborted before it was born.  Why you are so angry only you can say.  I don't think what you've said so far explains it.

Existentialist

Quote from: "JoeBobSmith"even though I can't make sense of a lot of your posts, I like your out-of-the-box thinking.  ty
Thanks.  Boxes are claustrophobic things, aren't they?

Existentialist

Quote from: "Whitney"born vegetable...

...vegetable baby

Like Asmodean, I missed an earlier contribution from you, Whitney.  I'm sorry, I think your language is disgusting.  I cannot believe that even where you live, you would go unchallenged for using descriptions like that about a human being.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "Existentialist"Thanks.
I think you're spot on so far.  Not only does Asmodean have this idea that kids or people are nothing and not worthy of societal help because they can't contribute to society (Asmodean disregards the contribution the child gives to his/her family despite their challenges), Asmodean specifically went after the mother in broad daylight and expressed to the mother that her child was a "train wreck" and not worthy of special care, that abortion is the only RIGHT choice, that by having this child, she (the mother) has placed her child above the needs of society.  And what does Asmodean expect from a mother?

Worthy of special care is not Asmodean's call.  "Train wreck" is an attack on the child and the mother.  It is this type of action that should be confronted as cruel and unusual punishment...that's putting in mildly.

It is quite cruel, heartless and incomprehensible.

Existentialist

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"It is quite cruel, heartless and incomprehensible.
I completely agree.

Whitney

It's not uncommon for people to refer to those who have lacked higher brain function as vegetables...people say "If i ever become a vegetable pull life support" all the time.  It's not disgusting to say that and the body it is directed at has less brain function than a cat.

It's not "disgusting" use of words...I don't even think there is another layman term to use to describe such people (as brain dead wouldn't be it either).  You just like to be offended by everything people say when it doesn't fit into your little box.

You were looking to pick a fight when you started responding to this thread...it's evident in your words from your fist post here; and you have had a history of being harsh in your responses on this forum.

Just because you don't think implying someone is a psychopath (and repeating it and other derogatory terms over and over again) is not uncivil doesn't mean I'm being illogical...it means you are being purposefully difficult or lack an understanding of what civil behavior entails.

I never made the claim that what asmodean said to that mother was nice.  But I seriously doubt he went out and found this mother for the sole purpose of beating her up emotionally, he was just honest in the conversation...if that was the case then your responses would be more understandable.

AD, would you have rather Asmodean lied to the mother during this conversation; once a topic like that comes up (one that a person strongly disagrees with) you either have to lie, be brutally honest, or bite your tongue and leave suddenly (which people know means you think they are stupid/odd...which is only a hair better than brutal honesty).

And before anyone says it....Asmodean was not uncivil towards that woman while on this forum and that's why he's not getting a talking to about being civil.  

But seriously, if you don't like someone's opinion on something use the rational part of your brain to tell them why their opinion is wrong, why they should think that mother made the best decision ever, why that mother deserves pitty for having a baby that if it were an adult on life support could be legally cut off due to brain inactivity....don't use name calling or pretend like you suddenly got a PhD that allows you to make a diagnosis of someone's mental health; it makes you look bad too.

And if it wasn't clear already...if anyone continues to use derogatory, harsh, diagnosis, or otherwise uncivil wording in this thread you're going on a 7 day ban because this is way out of hand.  If you can't discuss what is obviously a very emotional topic for some people without flooding the topic with emotion just don't post.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "Existentialist"Like Asmodean, I missed an earlier contribution from you, Whitney.  I'm sorry, I think your language is disgusting.  I cannot believe that even where you live, you would go unchallenged for using descriptions like that about a human being.
What would you call someone who's brain was non-functioning and would only continue to live as long as he was still connected to a machine? Calling that individual a "vegetable" is disgusting, is it?

What defines a human being for you? If it's not primarily the brain, what is it? I presume you don't believe in a soul, so that can't be it.

elliebean

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"
I think you're spot on so far.  Not only does Asmodean have this idea that kids or people are nothing and not worthy of societal help because they can't contribute to society (Asmodean disregards the contribution the child gives to his/her family despite their challenges), Asmodean specifically went after the mother in broad daylight and expressed to the mother that her child was a "train wreck" and not worthy of special care, that abortion is the only RIGHT choice, that by having this child, she (the mother) has placed her child above the needs of society.  And what does Asmodean expect from a mother?

Worthy of special care is not Asmodean's call.  "Train wreck" is an attack on the child and the mother.  It is this type of action that should be confronted as cruel and unusual punishment...that's putting in mildly.

QFT. For once, I'm in full agreement with AD on something. For the record, I also agree with everything said by Existentialist so far in this thread. I can scarcely express my disappointment at the direction this conversation is going, let alone the sentiments in the OP that sparked it off. I will continue to watch this topic, but most likely will not post in it again.
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

JoeBobSmith

Quote from: "elliebean"
Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"

QFT. For once, I'm in full agreement with AD on something. For the record, I also agree with everything said by Existentialist so far in this thread. I can scarcely express my disappointment at the direction this conversation is going, let alone the sentiments in the OP that sparked it off. I will continue to watch this topic, but most likely will not post in it again.

OP said (from my perspective):  how does the life/death of this child affect me.  Like he's the only one in the world paying taxes (or even alive for that matter).  It's a completely sociopathic viewpoint or maybe just simple minded...maybe OP wrote the post just to get reactions who knows.  Anyways his thinking is very childlike "me" thinking IMO...

so i'm dissapointed as well
JoeBobSmith

Whitney

locking thread so I don't have to try to moderate this mess without pissing off everyone.