Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

big bag of chopped greens with oil croutons and oregano

plus a tin of anchovies in olive oil stirred in

i have one more bag of greens before i try to eat truck stop salads

they dont eat lots of plants in nebraska

i expected nothing but im still disappointed

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

TheFightSong

Quote from: Icarus on December 11, 2018, 12:24:44 AM
Well alright you two. No raisins.  But you should have some  reverence for those poor dehydrated  grapes.  Remember that grapes are a biblical fruit and if you dis them, Jesus might smite you.

Raisins are a necessary ingredient for oatmeal cookies.  Who doesn't like oatmeal cookies? Pimekin (sp) anyone?

:shrug:

I prefer grapes or grape juice. Not raisins nor alcoholic beverages made with grapes. Alcoholic beverages of any kind taste repulsive to me anyway. Raisins and alcoholic beverages can disappear from history for all I care. Because I believe people have desensitized taste buds if they like either of those 2 things. Raisins taste like overly perfumed nipples. Grapes taste less poisonous. Alcoholic beverages taste like potions that should be in a scientific laboratory rather than my mouth.

Oatmeal cookies taste weird to me with raisins. I prefer oatmeal cookie dough than oatmeal cookies.

billy rubin

QuoteRaisins taste like overly perfumed nipples.

fight song, you made me laugh out loud with that one.

TheFightSong

Quote from: Icarus on November 29, 2019, 12:53:10 AM
My Granny used to make cornbread fit for the Gods.  She also used to make Hoecake which is something like fried bread.  It was made in a frying pan (skillet).  Really good victuals in any case.  The cornbraed Granny was on my mothers side. She was a sure enough southerner.  My Other Granny was a Yankee who surmised that cornbread is useful only to slop the pigs.

I have a simple solution to the making of cornbread.  Buy Jiffy Mix, about 79 cents per box. Mix it with a bit of water and egg, throw in some shredded Jalapeno bits and bake.  It ain't the real cornbread that Granny used to make but it will do for a hapless cook like me.

Friend wife, Elaine, spent a lot of time preparing Thanksgiving dinner. It consisted of Roast Turkey, candied yams, white potato casserole, green beans, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce and a bit of Chardonnay.  Followed later with a pumpkin pie with a walnut crust.

All that for two people was silly but appreciated. All the children and other parts of my and her family were hundreds of miles away.

Elaine did not intend to cook a big turkey but she is a crafty shopper.  Two turkey legs would have cost more than the whole damned turkey.  She came home with a 13 pound beast that she had bought for $6.38.   It came from a premium market chain that could be trusted not to sell inferior or questionable items, certainly not turkey that is famously covered with nasty bacteria,.

Did you know that the Thanksgiving myth about the pilgrims with the generous, friendly, native Americans is likely to be bullshit?   More......Among most of the native Americans, this day is regarded as a day of Mourning.  It is a matter of fact that Europeans killed a million indians and stole their land.  The Indian people have not forgotten it.
Is it is more likely that turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, and other foods from Thanksgiving only came from white settlers' culinary history. Because meat was not easy to find in America before white settlers brought animals them on American soil. Mashed potatoes originate in the U.K. Cranberry sauce is unlikely to have been in the first Thanksgiving meal. Pie is not part of native American culture. Corn is more likely to be food that native Americans ate. There is no solid evidence that turkey was eaten during the first Thanksgiving meal, either.

The U.S. military is founded on racism, genocide, slavery, and patriarchy. Its historical roots come from the white, Christian, and male army stealing natives land through terrorizing violence kleptocratically. U.S. military people are still bombing lands to steal resources to benefit ultra-wealthy kleptocrats. Which is why American society lives in a state of psychosis, superiority complex, sadistic violence, domestic violence against women, crime, immorality, and stockholm syndrome. It's why there are non-Americans who do not want to live in America. Because it is a country founded on racism, genocide, slavery, violence, and patriarchy. It has never been nor will be ruled by decent people until they end the toxic cycle of greed and corruption.

Tank

Quote from: TheFightSong on January 29, 2022, 05:27:30 PM
Quote from: Icarus on November 29, 2019, 12:53:10 AM
My Granny used to make cornbread fit for the Gods.  She also used to make Hoecake which is something like fried bread.  It was made in a frying pan (skillet).  Really good victuals in any case.  The cornbraed Granny was on my mothers side. She was a sure enough southerner.  My Other Granny was a Yankee who surmised that cornbread is useful only to slop the pigs.

I have a simple solution to the making of cornbread.  Buy Jiffy Mix, about 79 cents per box. Mix it with a bit of water and egg, throw in some shredded Jalapeno bits and bake.  It ain't the real cornbread that Granny used to make but it will do for a hapless cook like me.

Friend wife, Elaine, spent a lot of time preparing Thanksgiving dinner. It consisted of Roast Turkey, candied yams, white potato casserole, green beans, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce and a bit of Chardonnay.  Followed later with a pumpkin pie with a walnut crust.

All that for two people was silly but appreciated. All the children and other parts of my and her family were hundreds of miles away.

Elaine did not intend to cook a big turkey but she is a crafty shopper.  Two turkey legs would have cost more than the whole damned turkey.  She came home with a 13 pound beast that she had bought for $6.38.   It came from a premium market chain that could be trusted not to sell inferior or questionable items, certainly not turkey that is famously covered with nasty bacteria,.

Did you know that the Thanksgiving myth about the pilgrims with the generous, friendly, native Americans is likely to be bullshit?   More......Among most of the native Americans, this day is regarded as a day of Mourning.  It is a matter of fact that Europeans killed a million indians and stole their land.  The Indian people have not forgotten it.
Is it is more likely that turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, and other foods from Thanksgiving only came from white settlers' culinary history. Because meat was not easy to find in America before white settlers brought animals them on American soil. Mashed potatoes originate in the U.K. Cranberry sauce is unlikely to have been in the first Thanksgiving meal. Pie is not part of native American culture. Corn is more likely to be food that native Americans ate. There is no solid evidence that turkey was eaten during the first Thanksgiving meal, either.

The U.S. military is founded on racism, genocide, slavery, and patriarchy. Its historical roots come from the white, Christian, and male army stealing natives land through terrorizing violence kleptocratically. U.S. military people are still bombing lands to steal resources to benefit ultra-wealthy kleptocrats. Which is why American society lives in a state of psychosis, superiority complex, sadistic violence, domestic violence against women, crime, immorality, and stockholm syndrome. It's why there are non-Americans who do not want to live in America. Because it is a country founded on racism, genocide, slavery, violence, and patriarchy. It has never been nor will be ruled by decent people until they end the toxic cycle of greed and corruption.

The name of this thread is "What are you Eating right now?" Now thread derailing is an art form practised on this forum. However Jason Pollack would be proud of the vomitous splurge you posted highlighted above. It served no useful or humorous purpose at all. It would be appreciated if you would reserve your 'Jason Pollack' outbursts for appropriate threads. Thank you :)
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

No one

Made some maple custards.

While they chill, tacos.

TheFightSong

Quote from: Tank on January 29, 2022, 06:46:29 PM
The name of this thread is "What are you Eating right now?" Now thread derailing is an art form practised on this forum. However Jason Pollack would be proud of the vomitous splurge you posted highlighted above. It served no useful or humorous purpose at all. It would be appreciated if you would reserve your 'Jason Pollack' outbursts for appropriate threads. Thank you :)
:smileshake: :eeew: :picard facepalm:  :fingerwag:

Jason who?

You debateably call them outbursts. I call them facts that can be proven with increasing wealth inequality, how the military-industrial complex controls media companies to indoctrinate working class Americans into war, increasing sweatshops, global warming threatening our ecosystem and animals' health caused by mostly American businesses (especially their very cruel meat and dairy industries that cause lots of methane pollution), mental health illnesses caused by what is normalized in American culture, and Edwarden Snowden and Julian Assange being threatened by the fascist U.S. government authorities because America was never the land of freedom nor democracy, especially not towards working class Americans considering elites use their exclusive wealth to bribe and lobby for electing puppet politicians that normalize greed and corruption rather than compassion and justice.

That will be the last time of me derailing this thread.

TheFightSong

Spicy chicken with a vegetable roll.

billy rubin

Quote from: TheFightSong on January 29, 2022, 05:27:30 PM
Because meat was not easy to find in America before white settlers brought animals them on American soil.

fight song, i am an enrolled member of the cherokee nation, and my family has equal roots with the chickasaw.

the southern indians such as cherokee, choctaw, chickasaw, creek, and seminole were farmers, but had a lot of meat in their diet from whitetailed deer, bear, and fish. the cherokee hunted wildfowl with snares and used blowguns on both birds--such as turkey-- and small game like squirrels and rabbits. the choctaws used tbrowing sticks, as do the southwest indians. game was common and part of the americam diet all across the continent.

even tbe paiutes ate deer, elk, and buffalo, as sell as smsll game and fish

just sayin. i confess i am lousy at hitting anything with throwing sticks, even the australian kind

Icarus

I have somehow contracted an oddball urge to bake vintage breads.  I have had some failures and also some pretty good results. I am still trying to figure out the actual chemical function of Poolish, Biga, and sponge.  Sourdough starter is a whole nother ballgame.   You make some starter and then must throw out half of it when feeding the original batch. Starter is said to be like raising children.  You have to feed them regularly and also care for them carefully.

Yesterday, in a fit of new discovery, I tried to make sweet potato flat bread.  That sort of bread is not levened with yeast.  It is mainly just two ingredients, Sweet potato and flour, maybe with a wee bit of salt.   It is cooked, not baked, on a griddle or frying pan.  If made as a "roti" it is thin and flexible, something like a tortilla.  As an unafraid adventurer I followed the directions for one of the many You Tube recipes.  The one I followed used Oatmeal flour rather than all purpose flour. 

Lacking any ambition for a doing a trip to the grocery store for oat flour, I made my own.  Throw a bunch of oatmeal into the food processor and grind it for a while. I did that and made the flat bread which turned out to be a somewhat novel concoction, but also tasted pretty good.

Learning to make delicious, crusty, open crumb, bread turns out to be more art than science. Sorta like learning to play the concert violin while lacking any innate musical talent. Bread making is more fun than learning the concert violin, however.  Warning to newbies who may take a chance on bread making.   Test your yeast before using it in your recipe. Be extremely careful of the ratio of water to flour, let it "rest" or "proof" longer than you think is necessary but do not overdo the yeasts gaseous expansion thing.

Yeast, when feeding, releases carbon dioxide and alcohol in the dough. Both those are good if controlled. That is where the art form becomes involved.

Jesus had some sort of shortcut method for making bread that he has not divulged to we non believers.

billy rubin

just ordinary sweet potato?

what proportion with tbe oats?

hermes2015

Icarus, bread baking is more than a craft. It is a form of creative art that can occupy your thoughts of every waking hour as well as your dreams. Are you familiar with Paul Hollywood's books?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames