News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

What are you Eating right now?

Started by terranus, February 01, 2011, 06:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on June 29, 2020, 04:03:09 AM

How should I spell Piccodillia? Mags will know I suspect.  I do not know but I do like it........It consists of ground beef, raisins, olives, small tomato bits, capers, and tender love and care. Black beans over rice is topped with the onion bits.  Yummmy!!!

No. I'm sorry, Icarus, I've never had that before, but it sounds good.  :yum:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

summer food

back when i wrote computer manuals for IBM, i knew an iranian jew (yes) who was a physicist for some silicon valley tech firm

his wife worked for a pharmaceutical with my wife at the time, and so we spent time at htheir place where his aged iranian mother would cook for us and wait until we belched to show our satisfaction.

anyway, she taught me to take peta bread, cuti open, spred the inside with butter, and layer it with feta cheese and fresh basil leaves.

fantastic warm-weather meal. i've been eatin git for decades now.

i used to libe where they grew basil by the acre. fantasic to smell a five acre field of blooming basil upwind from your house.

anyway, here in coal country basil is old and hard to find. but its around, and you can still eat eat like you lived in isfahan.

my sister lived there, in fact, and in 1979 got an all-expense paid trip from the american embassy in tehran to houston, in a C130.

strange days indeed.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

I didn't even know Acorns were edible!

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Biggus Dickus

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Icarus

Acorns is it?  Our distant ancestors may have known about this potential food source.  I recall that long ago in a survival course, I learned that certain acorns are edible and nutritious.  So far I have not needed to use them as a matter of survival.  Sure enough, I have some oak trees in my yard that do deliver some acorns.  The squirrels are pleased and I do not deprive the little rodents of their good fortune.

The nice lady in the video lets us know that harvesting and processing them is a labor intensive pain in the ass.

The only tale that I know about acorns, is as follows: people of lesser means  sometimes have a stroke of luck in which they have an unexpected gain. An expression, probably southern US origin, states; 'Even a blind hog sometimes finds an acorn".  JJ and Billy, not necessarily of meager means, but southerners, and me of course, will have heard that one.

Meanwhile, let us rejoice in the biblical promise: The Lord shall provide.

Tank

As you say it's a labour intensive pain in the arse for us. But if one has nothing better to do all day but forage and store things for winter it's just what our hunter/gatherer ancestors did. I used to think they were poisonous not that they simply tasted bad.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

No one

Some very special mushrooms and a RC.

Tank

Quote from: No one on November 02, 2021, 01:27:24 PM
Some very special mushrooms and a RC.

Why are you eating a Roman Catholic? Aren't they a bit bitter?

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

No one

Not if you season them correctly.

Granted, you have to remove both anuses.
Plus, sort of like a wishbone, if you crack one open, and find a brain, it's supposed to be lucky.

billy rubin

chapattis

my chapattis suck. cant make em puff up. people tell me you have to have a hard wheat flour like durum to do it right, but i live where you csnt find that stuff

maybe i can find it online, like i have to do with miso

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

Look for King Arthur flour. I mess around with bread making and have found that brand far better that the standard flours like  General Mills types. KA is of the "hard" variety of flours.  Also makes very good biscuits and pancakes.

billy rubin

it was king arthur. cant blame the tools after all

appears to be my technique then

but if i call it roti instead of chapatti it turned out okay

billy rubin

red miso

use it in stews, in soups, in sauces, in whatever. spread it on toast. melt some on eggs maybe. no good on ice cream

unobtainable in appalachia except i can order it online

TheFightSong

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on May 25, 2017, 03:27:42 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 25, 2017, 01:55:46 AM
Quote from: Father Bruno on May 24, 2017, 09:45:29 PM
Food.

I'm relieved, Father Bruno. For a moment there I thought you ate things that weren't considered 'food'. :P

Well don't be too relieved xSP...I eat mainly a whole food plant based everything diet, so basically I'm a vegetarian...though I do eat fish on a somewhat regular basis, and will eat meat on special occasions (I'm not like some type of vegan-nazi or anything).

I actually do enjoy tofu (I don't do tofu-turkey) , and quinoa, both are somewhat regular parts of my diet, and I adore bleu cheese, but since I also don't do dairy I don't eat it very often...sometimes though I'll buy a small container and sprinkle some on my salad. The nice thing about bleu cheese is it doesn't go bad, it just gets bluer. 8)

Recently when I was on vacation in Honduras, one of the wife's family who has visited and stayed with us here in the States and who knows how I eat said he was impressed by my dedication to eating healthy especially when traveling, but I had to tell him I'm not dedicated to this way of eating. This is just how I live my life. It's the natural choice for me, and isn't some kind of chore. It isn't hard. I don't feel like I'm missing out. I don't feel deprived. It's something that I enjoy all the way in my core. It makes me happy....even if people sometimes treat me like some type of celibate eunuch 8)

Tonight I had some grilled veggies, asparagus spears, spinach, squash and zuccini noodles, tomatoes, onions, beets, and a small piece of salmon, plus a bowl of grapes. 8)

Food.
Don't trust the Americans when it comes to nutrition. Impulsive consumerism is part of American culture. So, they are not the sharpest tools in the shed. Your eating lifestyle is healthy. It is way healthier than the standard American diet. Just ignore the idiots. People sometimes treat you like a celibate eunuch because they are impulsive consumers or manipulative for money.

Zucchini, tomatoes, and grapes sound good to me, though.