News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Unrest in the Middle East

Started by terranus, January 30, 2011, 08:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultima22689

Sounds like the right move to me. Support those people if they need it. If Mubarak is willing to attack his own people, the world won't have a problem with America defending Egypt's civilians. Probably hailed for doing so and would be a good gesture towards the people of Egypt, I wouldn't be surprised if Obama was anticipating them to fire for the benefit of the US's image.

Dretlin

Quote from: "Ultima22689"Sounds like the right move to me. Support those people if they need it. If Mubarak is willing to attack his own people, the world won't have a problem with America defending Egypt's civilians. Probably hailed for doing so and would be a good gesture towards the people of Egypt, I wouldn't be surprised if Obama was anticipating them to fire for the benefit of the US's image.

From what I gather of recent news, the Army is NOT going to use force on the protesters.

Good news, as blood shed would be a tragedy. It is a very difficult situation to assess, though it looks like it is going to lead to its own conclusion. I hope for honest and fair representation for Egypt.

This however is a very odd consequence, I hope no one minds the slightly off-topic nature of this:

"China blocks 'Egypt' searches on micro-blogging sites"

terranus

Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

terranus

QuoteThis however is a very odd consequence, I hope no one minds the slightly off-topic nature of this:

"China blocks 'Egypt' searches on micro-blogging sites"

I'm surprised China hasn't blocked everything concerning current events in the Middle East right now. We all know how much their government loves protesters  ;)
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

Thumpalumpacus

There was actually an editorial earlier this week in China, regarding the Tunisian revolution, which made the point that revolutions are useless without an economic, educational, and social basis.  I'd sure put out the same propaganda if I was in charge of 1.5 billion folk:

Quote from: "The Global Times"In general, democracy has a strong appeal because of the successful models in the West. But whether the system is applicable in other countries is in question, as more and more unsuccessful examples arise.

In the West, democracy is not only a political system, but a way of life. Yet some emerging democracies in Asia and Africa are taking hit after hit from street-level clamor.

Democracy is still far away for Tunisia and Egypt. The success of a democracy takes concrete foundations in economy, education and social issues.

http://opinion.globaltimes.cn/editorial ... 18452.html

They ignore the examples of India, the Phillippines, and Spain, amongst others.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Sophus

Is this having a domino effect? Iran now has active protestors again. I'm less optimistic about this one, but if they can accomplish something that would be incredible.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

ForTheLoveOfAll

America could use some serious intellectual anarchy. We need an uprising before Neo-Conservitism takes over. And Thor forbid this place ever turn to being literally run by the Bible thumpers, or it'll be like Iraq, only with more Jesus and less suicide bombers.

Plenty of stoning in the streets, however.
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks