News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

The Achronos Look at Me Me Me Derail

Started by Achronos, January 10, 2011, 01:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJAkuma

Why is it always the same false dichotomy? If you don't love god you must therefore hate him. Do christians hate everyone else's gods or just disbelieve them?

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: "achronos"If you are not going to do certain things that I ask you to do, that is if you really don't want to have a relationship with God, then we are simply wasting our time discussing.

Why in the name of sweet bloody jesus would I do anything that you ask me to do? What has possibly made you think in all your time here that I (or any of us for that matter, save for voter, gsaint, and animateddirt) want any of your advice on how to have a relationship with the voice in your head that you call god? The only time being wasted here is everyone else's, by you. At least we get a 7 day break from your endless drivel.

Edit: fixed quote
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Sophus

Quote from: "Ihateyoumike"
Quote from: "achronos"If you are not going to do certain things that I ask you to do, that is if you really don't want to have a relationship with God, then we are simply wasting our time discussing.

Why in the name of sweet bloody jesus would I do anything that you ask me to do?
All religion does is command "do as I say" doesn't it?  :D
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Gawen

Quote from: "Ihateyoumike"

Why in the name of sweet bloody jesus....
It works both ways doesn't it? Achronos cannot seem to figure that out. But I just can't see him researching the Bible critically. I understand why he doesn't, though. He's afraid. Afraid of losing his eternity in some wonderful afterlife that doesn't exist, with a triune god that doesn't exist, but prepared to believe it no matter the cost. Achronos is the poster boy for Pascal's Wager. The Christians here would applaud him.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Gawen

Quote from: "Sophus"All religion does is command "do as I say" doesn't it?  :D
Yup. "Obey obey obey. Then I'll love you."
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Kylyssa

WTF happened to my post on this thread?  I guess I'll just have to re-post the gist of it.

Quote from: "Achronos"It's amazing how Muhammed took a minor moon god cult and turned it into the 2nd largest religion in the world.

I was wondering if Achronos has read the Koran because it's pretty clear from reading the Koran that Yahweh and Allah are one and the same.  Calling Allah a "moon god" is a bizarre thing to do, considering that Achronos is talking about his own God.  

Even the last pope agreed that Allah and Yahweh were the same God.  

C'mon, seriously, both religions have Abraham as the father of their religion.  The Koran is very similar to the Bible.  Some bits are practically paraphrases.  Muslims generally hold that Christians are following their God, albeit in a somewhat different manner.  They disagree about Jesus as anything other than as a prophet but they recognize Jesus as a prophet of their religion.  

I think it's all mythology but it strikes me as bizarre that someone would come up with derogatory narrative about their own God as worshiped by other people.

I'm wondering why my previous post was removed.  Very puzzling.

McQ

Quote from: "Kylyssa"I'm wondering why my previous post was removed.  Very puzzling.

I just checked the board to see what happened, but couldn't find any indication of your original post, Kylyssa. It doesn't show up at all, not even as a deleted post. I have no idea what's up with that, sorry.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Kylyssa"I think it's all mythology but it strikes me as bizarre that someone would come up with derogatory narrative about their own God as worshiped by other people.

It certainly is bizarre, but they do a lot worse than derogatory narrative.
Like treason it undermines those who hold power, the historical punishments are similar I think.

Sophus

Quote from: "Kylyssa"Calling Allah a "moon god" is a bizarre thing to do, considering that Achronos is talking about his own God.

I started to write about Allat, the moon goddess, but realized he's probably referring to Hubal, who was apparently a moon god in the polytheistic Meccan religion before the revolutionary monotheist Muhammad. (Other scholars say Allah is simply the masculine of the feminine word Allat, who I originally read was the moon goddess. For all I know it's all very much theoretical.) One theory says Muhammad may have turned him into Allah by claiming he was the only true God, much like Moses was in claiming El-Shaddai (god of the mountain) was the only one worthy of worship. Hence my original comment.

EDIT: Oh hell, I'll just include what I originally wrote. According to another theory I've read, in this polytheistic religion Allah was already one of the gods too, yet even though he had the highest status, even above Allat, he wasn't worshipped hardly at all because he existed as a more abstract concept. In which case Muhammad can be viewed as a sort of Alchemist, turning a neglected Allah into gold by claiming Allah alone was God.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Too Few Lions

Ah Christianity, predominantly a distortion of the Old Testament Mosaic religion and Greek philosophy, to which was also added a dose of the Hellenistic mystery religions. It's amazing how it became the largest religion in the world...

As the emperor Julian so astutely wrote in the 4th Century;

‘If any one should take the trouble to study your religion, he will find it a wicked combination of Jewish recklessness and Greek vulgarity. You have taken the worst rather than the best, the inferior rather than the sublime from both sides and woven from it a thieve’s cloak.’

Is this thread a joke??? All religions are man-made.

Tank

Quote from: "Too Few Lions"Is this thread a joke??? All religions are man-made.
In a sense it could be considered humorous, however that is not the case from the point of view of the OP.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.