News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Why Ricky Gervais doesn't believe in God

Started by karadan, January 18, 2011, 05:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karadan

So after reading the fallout from the less-impressed celebs after the Golden Globes, i started checking out Rickty Gervais' blog. I've always liked the guy and thought stuff like the Office and Extras were amazing. There were some links in the blog and below were a few i found particularly great. Apparently he gets asked why he's an atheist rather a lot. I love his forthrightness when answering questions from christians.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/12/ ... n-atheist/

He then answers readers questions below.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/12/ ... questions/

If anything, it is refreshing to see someone who truly doesn't give a damn what others think of him. In America, i believe that to be a virtue, especially when offending celebs :)
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

KDbeads

Thank you.  You just made my day.  It's great to read/hear someone like that.  It's how I strive to be.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

lundberg500

Have you ever seen his movie "Invention of Lying"? It's an excellent movie. You've got to see it. Don't look it as a comedy though. It deals quite well with some of the absurdities of religion. I really like that movie.   :)

elliebean

Yesss!! Thanks!! Now I have a new sig...  ;)
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Tom62

Thanks for sharing. I really loved his blog.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

hismikeness

My favorite quote from the linked article:

Quote from: "Ricky Gervais"This, is of course a spirituality issue, religion is a different matter. As an atheist, I see nothing “wrong” in believing in a god. I don’t think there is a god, but belief in him does no harm. If it helps you in any way, then that’s fine with me. It’s when belief starts infringing on other people’s rights when it worries me. I would never deny your right to believe in a god. I would just rather you didn’t kill people who believe in a different god, say. Or stone someone to death because your rulebook says their sexuality is immoral. It’s strange that anyone who believes that an all-powerful all-knowing, omniscient power responsible for everything that happens, would also want to judge and punish people for what they are. From what I can gather, pretty much the worst type of person you can be is an atheist. The first four commandments hammer this point home. There is a god, I’m him, no one else is, you’re not as good and don’t forget it. (Don’t murder anyone, doesn’t get a mention till number 6.)

Bold is my addition. This is the part I wish the average and extremest theist would understand.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

The Magic Pudding

QuoteSince there is nothing to know about god, a comedian knows as much about god as any one else. An atheist however is alone in knowing that there is nothing to know so probably has the edge. An Atheist comedian can make people laugh about belief or lack of it. A good atheist comedian can make people laugh AND think about belief or lack of it.

Woo is such a rich source of material for comedians, here's another.
http://podblack.com/2008/12/little-kitt ... ins-storm/

Quote“You’re so sure of your position
But you’re just closed-minded
I think you’ll find
Your faith in Science and Tests
Is just as blind
As the faith of any fundamentalist”

“Hm that’s a good point, let me think for a bit
Oh wait, my mistake, it’s absolute bullshit.
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved.
If you show me
That, say, homeopathy works,
Then I will change my mind
I’ll spin on a fucking dime
I’ll be embarrassed as hell,
But I will run through the streets yelling
It’s a miracle! Take physics and bin it!
Water has memory!
And while it’s memory of a long lost drop of onion juice is Infinite
It somehow forgets all the poo it’s had in it!

There is a lot more to this piece.

karadan

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"
QuoteSince there is nothing to know about god, a comedian knows as much about god as any one else. An atheist however is alone in knowing that there is nothing to know so probably has the edge. An Atheist comedian can make people laugh about belief or lack of it. A good atheist comedian can make people laugh AND think about belief or lack of it.

Woo is such a rich source of material for comedians, here's another.

Quote“You’re so sure of your position
But you’re just closed-minded
I think you’ll find
Your faith in Science and Tests
Is just as blind
As the faith of any fundamentalist”

“Hm that’s a good point, let me think for a bit
Oh wait, my mistake, it’s absolute bullshit.
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved.
If you show me
That, say, homeopathy works,
Then I will change my mind
I’ll spin on a fucking dime
I’ll be embarrassed as hell,
But I will run through the streets yelling
It’s a miracle! Take physics and bin it!
Water has memory!
And while it’s memory of a long lost drop of onion juice is Infinite
It somehow forgets all the poo it’s had in it!

There is a lot more to this piece.

Tim Minchin is an absolute hero. A very cunning and intelligent hero. (He's been in my sig for some time now :)  )
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

wildfire_emissary

Quote from: "lundberg500"Have you ever seen his movie "Invention of Lying"? It's an excellent movie. You've got to see it. Don't look it as a comedy though. It deals quite well with some of the absurdities of religion. I really like that movie.   :)
I've seen it. Ricky Gervais fits the role. It was also my confirmation that Ricky is indeed an atheist.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire