News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Recycling bibles.

Started by thatprattbastard, December 16, 2009, 02:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldGit

I would always keep a copy of the AV (King James) version for the sheer beauty of the language.  Also the Anglican Prayer-Book.  As an atheistic linguist I wouldn't be without my Luther Bible and my Vulgate, for reference in historical and linguistic study, as well as in arguing with christians.

Mind you, you can manage with just the net these days, but I like to have the real books by me.

What to do with the surplus?  Well, in my home we cook on a Rayburn solid-fuel stove which burns books well, though the ash is a nuisance.

KDbeads

I still have my very first KJV, I'm not parting with it either, holds too much sentimental value.  And the only trophy I ever won was for the "study to show thyself approved" lesson where I had to memorize 300 some odd verses and recite them all at once in front of the church.  That I will be keeping.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Velma

I have KJV that my grandmother gave me and one of my great-grandmothers left me her rosary. I no longer believe, but I keep those things to remind me of the people who gave them to me.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

TheWilliam

Quote from: "jrosebud"My sister has a friend in college who never turns down a Gideon Bible.  She says they make great rolling paper.   :P

I knew I'd learn some cool shit on this forum

Ihateyoumike

Had a bible as a kid. One time- back in the day- decided just to throw it in the trash cause I figured it was useless and I was moving. No use keeping shit that isn't worth keeping.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Velma

I have unintentionally burned a bible.  One afternoon not long after I had become an atheist, my brother started burning some trash.  He asked me if I had some.  I told him I had some empty boxes that could be burned.  I had forgotten the bible was in one of them until I was it burning in the fire.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Velma"I had forgotten the bible was in one of them until I was it burning in the fire.
Ah ha! perhaps you miss it more than you think, an insidious book indeed.