News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Internet Piracy/Sharing: Your Thoughts?

Started by LegendarySandwich, January 02, 2011, 11:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevil

Lack of intellictual property rights stifles innovation and removes incentive to produce a quality product.
As file "sharing" gets more and more common we will find movies becoming only b-grade, we will find less and less quality musicians and bands.

The problem I have with the way things are with regards to adhering to the law:
1. Difficult to discover new bands and music. I am not into popular music, I like Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Power Metal, Symphonic Metal and some Hard Rock. For the most part these are not broadcast on radio or tv, even when they chart No 1. I am finding that my music is currently limited to the band I discovered when I was young e.g. Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Annihilator etc. Viewing music illegally uploaded on You Tube helps me discover new music.
2. The price of purchasing music. $2 is way too high per song making it hard to accumulate a worthy collection of songs
3. Songs often take quite a few listens to be able to appreciate them, with no radio play and You tube being impracticle with regards to many listens it becomes necessary to download for the sake of trying out a new album or band.
4. Loudness War. Due to the perception that a loud recording sells better, bands are demanding their music volume levels be compressed and volumes pushed out beyond the limitation of the CD storage media, resulting in low dynamic range and introducing distortion with clipping. An extreme example being Metallica's Death Magnetic, the studio released version is attrocious with audible distortion throughout. In this case I don't have a problem with downloading for free the illegally remastered versions sourced from Guitar Hero.
5. I deem that I have purchased the right to a song with my cassette versions, I do not want to pay again to get versions compatible with my mp3 player.

It will be interesting to see what the future holds, maybe bands will release music recordings for free and look to make a living from concerts and merchandise only. I am deeply worried about the future of quality movies.

TheJackel

Quote from: "terranus"The reason internet sharing is mostly considered "wrong" and illegal is because sharing violates core principles of greedy capitalism. In a true Communist state, internet sharing would never be challenged as an illegal or immoral practice. It wouldn't even be a controversial issue at all. Why do you think internet "piracy" is so much higher in countries like China?

So slavery and working for free to satisfy your wants and needs isn't "greedy" or a bit at all non-selfish? Is that your form of Capitalism? And why are you judging a Company's right to make a profit off a product regardless of how much potential profit there could be? At best you are rationalizing theft.

As far as discovering new Bands, music, or movies.. I wouldn't have a problem with sample material (as in parts of songs, movies, or software) being made available. But never should the full product ever be made for free unless those who made the product allow it.

There is a very easy solution to piracy.. There is no need for prison time either. So since these people think it's ok, we should just make them work for free to lower everyone's taxes. Arrest them all and make them clean our streets, cut lawns, or other various tasks since they think unwilling to work for free to benefit another is ok. Just think of all that free labor out there waiting to be tapped into. Nothing like a good old chain gain to reign in pirates. I'm sure they could even reduce company overhead by making them clean their offices lol.

So who needs DRM when you can have street sweepers?

Heretical Rants

Quote from: "TheWilliam"I'm on the fence for just one reason.

I love underground mid 90s hip hop and most........ well all of those albums have been out of print since they were released. and I already paid for all the stuff I had to download but my first apt got robbed,

and i could either download them for free.

or go on ebay and pay an average of 50 dollars an album.
I don't think it counts as piracy if the work in question is out of print.

Asmodean

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"I don't think that's fair. I bought it; I get to decide what to do with it.
You bought the rights to use it, not necessarilly to distribute or modify it.

Buying a bus ticket is not the same as buying the bus, you know  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"I don't think that's fair. I bought it; I get to decide what to do with it.
You bought the rights to use it, not necessarilly to distribute or modify it.
That's what I don't think is fair. It's like buying a pair of shoes, and then told you aren't able to mark them up or modify them in anyway.

QuoteBuying a bus ticket is not the same as buying the bus, you know  :P
Yeah, but if I bought a bus ticket, I would expect to able to do what I want with it.

joeactor

Ok... I'm of 2 minds on this one...

Side A: the content creator should have rights as to how it is sold/distributed. enforcing those rights may be impossible, but the rights should be there. if the content creator chooses to give it away or allow free copies, that's their right too.

Side B: free is good.  I like free.  and lack of copyright hasn't harmed fashion or comedy - in fact it's allowed them to thrive.  Here's a great Ted Talk on this:
http://www.ted.com/talks/johanna_blakle ... lture.html

LegendarySandwich

Like I said earlier, I've changed my position so that now I think copyright law shouldn't be completely abolished, but I do think it should be revised. How exactly revised, I'm not sure. Anyone care to help me out?

TheJackel

terranus

QuoteAt best you are rationalizing theft.

Theft? How is this theft? Last time I checked, internet sharing doesn't involve breaking into some artist's music library and stealing all their music. Internet sharing involves people willing to let other people listen to/watch items that they have already paid for. I'm not seeing how this counts as theft, sorry. I mean, if I buy an apple, and decide to share some of that apple with you, does that mean the owners of the apple orchard get to sue me for copyright infringement/piracy? Not hardly. It's my right to share it because I bought it.
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

TheJackel

Quote from: "terranus"
QuoteAt best you are rationalizing theft.

Theft? How is this theft? Last time I checked, internet sharing doesn't involve breaking into some artist's music library and stealing all their music. Internet sharing involves people willing to let other people listen to/watch items that they have already paid for. I'm not seeing how this counts as theft, sorry. I mean, if I buy an apple, and decide to share some of that apple with you, does that mean the owners of the apple orchard get to sue me for copyright infringement/piracy? Not hardly. It's my right to share it because I bought it.

Actually it does equivocate as such. It's no different than counterfeiting money or selling knock-off products as the real thing. Duplication of product on that magnitude does not constitute going to someones house and sharing music. Read the license agreements and the copyright laws. It's irrelevant how you want to rationalize it. And if you paid for it, I do believe you are allowed by law to make a back-up copy. And you do realize that most of downloaded content that is pirated is by people who haven't bought a damn thing correct? I use to be a Pirate, and I know the pirate community very well to which stretches all the way back to Tel-netting into BBS boards!. We did it because we could get shit for free, and that is essentially the sum total of the actual truth! We made the same rationalization arguments you are making right now, and they are nonsensical! Besides music, software has taken the road for the worst in terms of quality and studios are closing because of it. Hell COD has over 4 million downloads, and I can probably find over 10,000 iso links myself. It's beyond ridiculous regardless of reasons.

If pirates want to clean up their act.. Make sample-ware that is incomplete.. If you can't discover new music, software, or games via sample, you have a problem.

Sophus

With the Orphan Works Bill only recently dead, this is something very near and dear to me. Artists need to make a living and sell their work just like everyone else. Please don't steal.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

TheJackel

http://www.computerworld.com/comments/n ... 961?page=1

I blame the pirates for this kind of crap! Now it' going into Hardware DRM, and worst of all, that crap won't even work!

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "TheJackel"http://www.computerworld.com/comments/node/9202961?page=1

I blame the pirates for this kind of crap! Now it' going into Hardware DRM, and worst of all, that crap won't even work!
I'd rather blame the companies.

As of right now, I am officially undecided on the whole piracy issue.

TheJackel

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"
Quote from: "TheJackel"http://www.computerworld.com/comments/node/9202961?page=1

I'd rather blame the companies.

As of right now, I am officially undecided on the whole piracy issue.

I don't.. It's just like natural selection in nature that drives evolution. People steal, companies react to protect their intellectual property that keeps them in business. If you want to be blunt, if piracy didn't exist on such a massive scale as it is today or at all, DRM wouldn't exist. This means companies make or break on the quality of their product where people vote with their wallets vs steal with their greed. Theft of this sort stifles innovation, or even makes people less likely to get involved in the industry knowing their pink slips are in order because theft has drained their funds to which include cash in bank that can keep them going when economic times are rough. Pirates like to assume they have no impact when they do regardless of how much they like to use profit margins as an excuse for their theft of intellectual property. I have simply stopped doing that crap and started buying and supporting those that make products I like. If I can't afford it, I simply accept that it is not mine to have!

So why did I buy DCS blackshark, and DCS A-10 Warthog? Because without my support, such amazing products wouldn't exist! I would end up with mass market trash, or nothing at all!

So a simple DRM solution that doesn't hurt everyone else.. Street Sweepers! A perfect idea to bring up in legislation, and town meetings.

DJAkuma

Quote from: "Whitney"What about copyrighted material existing prevents the free exchange of ideas any more than it does in the "real world" and what about the internet entitles it to supersede established law?

If I remember right the original intent of copyrighting was so that one could have a few years to profit off of their work before others could freely copy and improve on it, walt disney screwed it all up by pushing for copyrights to be extended far beyond what's reasonable. I doesn't prevent the free exchange of ideas but it slows it down some.