News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Sympathy 101 for Atheists

Started by Kylyssa, January 02, 2011, 10:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylyssa

People seem to have this idea that atheists have nothing to offer to grieving friends and relatives.  Grief is a minefield already difficult to navigate but it becomes even more explosive when the people involved have radically different concepts of reality.  To help atheists navigate the minefield of religious grief, I wrote Sympathy 101 for Atheists.

Your suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated.

elliebean

Thank you, Kylyssa, this is something I've had to struggle through many times, but  after reading that, I'm sure it will be less of one in the future.
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Sophus

You've handled this topic with such grace and eloquence. Thank you, Kylyssa.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Recusant

I took care of a dying woman for her last year.  She believed in God, and was a really great person.  The family had asked me to speak at her funeral, and I spent many hours trying to come up with something to say that would be honest and positive.  In the end, what I said followed a lot of the guidelines you laid out so beautifully.  I guess it helped that I got to know her really well, and also knew her family; I was able to connect in a way that somebody who wasn't that close would have had a much more difficult time with.  I can tell that you gave this piece the same serious thought that I did for my friend's funeral.  I think it'll help any non-believer who reads it to better navigate that difficult time.  Thank you and keep up the good work Kylyssa; I hope some day you collect these pieces and see if you can get them published.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken