News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Alex, 26 from London...

Started by alex_w, December 31, 2010, 12:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alex_w

Hi, my name's Alex and I'm 26 from London!

I was christened as a baby but my parents weren't strong believers. I currently call myself an athiest, at the age of 26 having come to the point in my life where I feel much more content and at ease knowing that what I currently factually know is all I know. Without the words of another human being, I am unaware of a God of any kind or even the concept of a God.

At the moment, being an atheist allows me to feel like I'm taking full resonsibility for who I am and not getting carried away with any kind of comforting 'magical' theory from my imagination.

I read a quote from Carl Sagan once, which I'm sure has been thrown around these forums; 'For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring', I definately agree with this.

Richard Dawkins and Ricky Gervais have also been influential on my recent transformation.

I've been through phases of my life when I believed in God, from the day I was unfairly told of God's definate existence at the age of around 9-12 at a local youth club. Then I began to panic, I felt like I was being judged and he watched my every move, I felt like I'd let him down, so I began to pray to him and ask him not to punish me, I didn't even understand, I was just so scared.

As I grew older it always played on my mind, then I was 22, feeling a bit lost with it all, I went on a round the world trip to India, Thailand, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand and South America, I saw all the different cultures and I got really intrigued by a Guru in India, who had his own philosophies and views on God, this was a part of my life for about 2-3 years, I was doing advanced courses, staying in silence for days, practicing meditation, I thought of quitting meat and alcohol, I was praying and at times I felt like God was with me, I felt 'connected' and it felt good, REALLY good. This was it, I'd found it!!!

My Dad passed suddenly when I was 24, I really panicked then, I didn't feel like I knew where I was going, what I believed in etc. Then I indulged in atheist research (mainly video's on youtube), I didn't feel scared or like I was being drawn into anything, all I was hearing was intelligence and factual, scientific information, no 'magic'...It felt hard at first, letting go of that comfort feeling that some higher consciousness is with me but now I'm starting to adapt and I feel much more grounded and genuine about the way I'm approaching life.

I could go on and on with my findings and experiences, that's why I've joined these forums.

This christmas I receieved a DVD from my 97 year old Grandad; he's a firm Christian and it came from his church. He doesn't often mention it to me, he's not a very open man at all, in fact quite the opposite but I just watched the DVD and it really triggered some anger I now feel towards the Christian faith.

However, another point I'd like to discuss is the fact that I like the community side of church, the feeling I get when I walk in and feel accepted as a part of something, a group of caring people, with the choir singing or even the silence, this is nice, it makes me feel comforted and peaceful and this is something I'd like in my life. I wondered is there any equivalent of a 'church-like space' for atheists? Or what peoples views would be on this?

I don't feel in any kind of trauma, just intrigued and interested in joining further discussions, to develop my personal beliefs.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing back from you all.

Alex

McQ

Hi Alex, and welcome. Thanks for the introduction. I also love the Carl Sagan quote, and have paraphrased it many times (with credit to Sagan, of course!). Sorry to learn of your dad's sudden passing. Although not an easy thing in any form, the unexpected death of a loved one is a trauma that is especially hard to deal with.

Glad to have you here. Enjoy the forums and jump right in.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Asmodean

Hi! My name is Alex and I'm from Norway. AND Alex is my full name. Not short for Alexei, Alexander or some such.  :D

Welcome to the club!
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Hi Alex

Welcome to the forum.

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Tank"Hi Alex

Welcome to the forum.

Regards
Chris
Why, thanks  :P )
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Cecilie

Hello Alex, welcome to the forum. I've been to London 4 times and I must say I like it there, though it might be a little big for me. There is more people traveling in and out of London everyday than there are people in my country.
The world's what you create.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Cecilie"There is more people traveling in and out of London everyday than there are people in my country.
...And yet we are properly represented here on HAF  :D

Still... New York made me feel so tiny for a while last I was there... I'm not used to feeling... Small. And insignificant. And to breething right out of a car's exhaust pipe.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Cecilie

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "Cecilie"There is more people traveling in and out of London everyday than there are people in my country.
...And yet we are properly represented here on HAF  :D
We have nothing better to do in the winter. We can't ski ALL the time.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Cecilie"We have nothing better to do in the winter. We can't ski ALL the time.
True. Some people just [strike:mevbtsaa]are too busy so they[/strike:mevbtsaa] can't ski too  :)
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Cecilie

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "Cecilie"We have nothing better to do in the winter. We can't ski ALL the time.
True. Some people just ([strike:1lygld8p]are too busy so they[/strike:1lygld8p]) can't ski too  :)
That's a myth.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Cecilie"That's a myth.
:P
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

alex_w

Didn't realise I was going to start a skiing discussion with my post...oh well.

Does anyone have any comments about the church point I made...

QuoteHowever, another point I'd like to discuss is the fact that I like the community side of church, the feeling I get when I walk in and feel accepted as a part of something, a group of caring people, with the choir singing or even the silence, this is nice, it makes me feel comforted and peaceful and this is something I'd like in my life. I wondered is there any equivalent of a 'church-like space' for atheists? Or what peoples views would be on this?

Cecilie

Quote from: "alex_w"Didn't realise I was going to start a skiing discussion with my post...oh well.
Asmodean and I are very good at getting off topic...