News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

problem logging in

Started by MariaEvri, December 29, 2010, 05:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

Quote from: "Asmodean"What evil people do, is set keycrackers at work. A keycracker is an automated program which tries to crack a password usually over the course of hours or even days. The built-in countermeasures prevent such programs from being too successful because of the manually entered security code, but they can get lucky after multiple attempts on an unchanged password.

So it would be advisable for anyone that keeps seeing that message to keep changing their password...right?

McQ

This is becoming annoying. Although my encrypted (and now rotating) passwords are unlikely to be cracked, I am having to use the code to get in every time I log in. Is there any way to find out where these attempted hacks are coming from?
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

Quote from: "McQ"Is there any way to find out where these attempted hacks are coming from?
It doesn't provide an IP address for login attempts and even if it did I'm sure someone like that would be using a proxy anyway.

McQ

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "McQ"Is there any way to find out where these attempted hacks are coming from?
It doesn't provide an IP address for login attempts and even if it did I'm sure someone like that would be using a proxy anyway.

So does that also mean that our hosting company can't determine the hacker identity? That would be a bummer.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

MariaEvri

I logged in with no problem today donno if that means anything
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Asmodean

Quote from: "Whitney"So it would be advisable for anyone that keeps seeing that message to keep changing their password...right?
It's always adviseable to change passwords regularly. You do not have to do that every day or even every week though. Once a month or two is nice.

As for finding out, you'd have to rummage through your server statistics, IP logs and requested operations... A lot of work.

EDIT: ME, since some members have trouble while others do not, it is my assumption that someone is using a keycracker on us. They just didn't use it on your login. So if I am correct, you're safer than some for now  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Asmodean"EDIT: ME, since some members have trouble while others do not, it is my assumption that someone is using a keycracker on us. They just didn't use it on your login. So if I am correct, you're safer than some for now  :P
If Mr Blackhat was successful I'd assume you wouldn't get the security code request.
If he tries but isn't successful you do get the security code request.
Do many of these guys actually use character recognition?

Whitney

Quote from: "McQ"So does that also mean that our hosting company can't determine the hacker identity? That would be a bummer.

They probably can....but it's godaddy (the company that tells me it is my fault that the forum is down when I haven't touched a thing); so I am not sure they would.

Let's see if the hacker gets tired of trying...as long as we keep the moderator accounts stay safe there isn't anything that bad that can be done.

Asmodean

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"If Mr Blackhat was successful I'd assume you wouldn't get the security code request.
If he tries but isn't successful you do get the security code request.
Do many of these guys actually use character recognition?
If Blackhat succeeds, we'll probably have someone suddenly fall hopelessly in love with Markuze  :pop:

Luckily for us, it's not that easy, getting a hold of someone's password without infecting them with a keylogger their AV won't munch up.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.