News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

God made the universe look old so it would look pretty

Started by Sophus, December 20, 2010, 08:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

Quote from: "Bornagain"I really just don't understand how something so intricate as the human body could be an accident. Take the brain for example. There is no reason that should work the way it does. The perfect balance with placement and rotation of the earth. Another thing is the theory of evolution. If monkeys evolved, why are there still monkeys that breed monkeys? Wouldn't the species have already phased out?

Don't use the word "accident". That makes it sound like it shouldn't have happened. Evolution is just the opposite.

And we didn't evolve from monkeys or any apes that exist today. The ones we evolved from - like 99% of all species - have gone extinct. The reason why there are still monkeys and apes is because:

A - Humans are not the goal of evolution.
B - Evolution leads to diversity from appropriate adaptations.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

elliebean

Quote from: "Bornagain"If you die and meet God, what will your answer be?
"Oh there you are, you sneaky bastard!!"

Seriously though, If I died and met God (this time... he was a no show last time, and I waited for over half an hour...), how would I know it was him?

And what answer would I need? He'd have a lot more to answer for than I would. Like if he wants us to believe in him, why does he do such a good job of pretending not to be real?
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "Bornagain"By the way, God didn't say that alcohol is wrong.
Or did he?

QuoteHe didn't say that marijuana is wrong. He said to follow the law of your land, and in this land marijuana is illegal, but He also said not to harm your temple.
He also said we own the Earth, and that all the plants are ours. Hmm. A contradiction? But that can't be! There are no contradictions in the Bible!

QuoteJust in case you are wondering, I don't tell people not to do something and then go and do it myself. That is hypocritical and that is what gives Christians such a bad name.
Good.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "Bornagain"I also had a typo in the last big post when I said "God has changed His mind about Polygamy." I meant to say that God has NOT changed His mind. It is just no longer necessary.
"Hm...this is no longer necessary. Therefore, I shall make it a sin!"
Where's the reasoning behind that?

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "Bornagain"I was just addressing the issue people had with marijuana use. The Bible doesn't speak against it. Marijuana is hard on your lungs therefore harming your body.
It's my body -- I'll do whatever the hell I want with it.

Sophus

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"
Or did he?
;)
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Bornagain

If you have weak Biblical knowledge then you have no leg to stand on. How on earth can you say there are Biblical contradictions if you don't know the Bible well enough? Guys I just said that God never said alcohol is wrong! Christians choose not to drink it because it can ruin a witness and is associated with the world.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "Bornagain"I really just don't understand how something so intricate as the human body could be an accident. Take the brain for example. There is no reason that should work the way it does.
Evolution isn't an accident. The reason it works the way it does is because of millions/billions of tiny, gradual beneficial mutations.

QuoteThe perfect balance with placement and rotation of the earth.
Who says it's perfect?

QuoteAnother thing is the theory of evolution. If monkeys evolved, why are there still monkeys that breed monkeys? Wouldn't the species have already phased out?
Humans didn't evolve from monkeys, we evolved from a common ancestor we have with monkeys.

Bornagain

If you have weak Biblical knowledge then you have no leg to stand on. How on earth can you say there are Biblical contradictions if you don't know the Bible well enough? Guys I just said that God never said alcohol is wrong! Christians choose not to drink it because it can ruin a witness and is associated with the world. Look at all of those references you gave. Take a look at the cultural context. God also told the Jews not to eat pork. Notice that the Scripture references talk about being drunk. Big difference between being drunk and drinking.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "elliebean"
Quote from: "Bornagain"If you die and meet God, what will your answer be?
"Oh there you are, you sneaky bastard!!"

Seriously though, If I died and met God (this time... he was a no show last time, and I waited for over half an hour...), how would I know it was him?

And what answer would I need? He'd have a lot more to answer for than I would. Like if he wants us to believe in him, why does he do such a good job of pretending not to be real?
Because he wants us to have faith.

And if we don't have faith, we'll roast in Hell for all eternity. It's totally just and stuff.

Sophus

Quote from: "Bornagain"If you have weak Biblical knowledge then you have no leg to stand on. How on earth can you say there are Biblical contradictions if you don't know the Bible well enough? Guys I just said that God never said alcohol is wrong! Christians choose not to drink it because it can ruin a witness and is associated with the world.
How would explain those verses contradicting that then? Also, I've read the Bible. I'm familiar with the contradictions. As asked before, how did Judas die?

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "Sophus"
Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"
Or did he?
;)
Gasp...it couldn't be...a contradiction!?

Bornagain

By the way, the placement of earth and sun is perfect. Any closer and we burn up. Any further and we freeze. Judas killed himself. Please! Guys give me a "contradiction" that YOU know of. Not a link. Weak sauce.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "Bornagain"If you have weak Biblical knowledge then you have no leg to stand on. How on earth can you say there are Biblical contradictions if you don't know the Bible well enough?
I know it well enough.

QuoteGuys I just said that God never said alcohol is wrong!
Actually, he did.

QuoteChristians choose not to drink it because it can ruin a witness
...What.

Quoteand is associated with the world.
Do you also not wear shoes then?

QuoteLook at all of those references you gave. Take a look at the cultural context.
I thought the Word of God was supposed to be God's unchanging word, giving wisdom to mankind of all ages, relevant to today's world?

QuoteGod also told the Jews not to eat pork.
Why would he do that?

QuoteNotice that the Scripture references talk about being drunk. Big difference between being drunk and drinking.
...Not really. That's like saying there's a real big difference between being in a car and driving.

Bornagain

The "contradictions" you guys choose are not even close to being contradictions. A contradiction would be if "the Israelites crossed the Red Sea on dry ground while fleeing the Egyptians" and then another account of the story said they crossed over on boats while fleeing the Egyptians.