News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What kind of music do you like?

Started by Shalo'zier, June 18, 2007, 03:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allhailtuna

Some metal, some hardcore, and quite a lot of punk. Currently I'm listening to NOFX, and will probably listen to Bad Religion after this. o.O
Dragonforce are also quite good.

Mister Joy

I don't really like modern metal at all. I used to when I was 13/14. I'm good friends with a couple of small-time metal bands though, which is bizarre. They're quite well known within Bristol but you wouldn't have heard of them.

Here's a list.

Electronica & D&B:
Jean Michel Jarre
Kraftwerk
Pendulum
Goldfrapp
and a bit of other stuff here and there.

1950's/early 60's stuff (before the influence of the Beatles really set in).:
Helen Shapiro
Dusty Springfield
Frank Sinatra
Gale Garnett
Goldie & the Gingerbreads
Lesley Gore
Johnny and the Hurricanes
Duane Eddy
Les Paul & Mary Ford
Bill Haley
Fats Domino
Marilyn Monroe
Dinah Washington
and blah dee blah. This list is bleeding huge.

Punk/ska/emotional punk (the original British stuff of the 70s and 80s mind you - not the whiny formulaic MTV rubbish of today):
The Cure
The Only Ones
The Sex Pistols
Sid Vicious on his own
Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine
Madness
you get the gist

oh and one of America's good answers to punk: Deborah Harry (Blondie). Love the woman. Not defined as punk, as such, but the the band was clearly influenced by it.

Rock (bit of a random mix):
T. Rex
Bowie
Queen
Radiohead
The Beatles
Al Stewart
Alphaville
Happy Mondays
Kula Shaker
Captain Beefheart
The Coral
The Divine Comedy
Lou Reed
Brian Eno
et cetera

Trip hop (aka. "The Bristol sound"):
Portishead
Massive Attack
Amon Tobin
Moloko
Ilya
euuurgh.

take2gemini

Right now="The Pretender" by Foo Fighters.

But, I love almost anything.

Nirvana
Nine Inch Nails
Bob Marley
Bullet For My Valentine
P.O.D
Paramore

My cell phone cover is Kurt Cobain x]

Dai

Oh, do you have the new album, Gemini? I haven't heard any reviews on it yet.

Allhailtuna

I have to agree on the punk point. o.O
I mean, come on, 'Wheee! My ex left me and I want to cut myself!' doesn't even deserve to be in the same genre as the Clash, the Sex Pistols, etc.. o.O
I also have a random dislike for Paramore and Yellowcard. And Underoath.

Dai

I strongly agree with you AHT.

However, even though they are newer, you surely can't discredit bands like Rise Against, and Bad Religion.

Allhailtuna

o.O
Who said I did? BR is one of my favorite bands, and Rise Against are pretty good too. (I like their latest album, I haven't got their earlier albums)
And, of course, there's NOFX. I'd probably put them under BR if I had to rank my favorite bands, but 'The Decline' is probably my favorite song...

Gemini, I would like Bullet for my Valentine if I didn't know about Eyehategod, probably... o.O
...And if I hadn't used to like Three Days Grace... And if I didn't have a random dislike for metalcore... Yeah...

Mister Joy

Quote from: "Dai"you surely can't discredit bands like Rise Against, and Bad Religion.

I can. 8) But I wont argue.

Allhailtuna

Can you, now?
Please elaborate. :O

Mister Joy

If you insist. Without going into a huge monologue: they're too over-the-top with their 'political message' & I personally find them boring. But then I have to confess that I haven't listened to much Bad Religion so that statement only really applies to RA.

Allhailtuna

I don't really care about RA's political message. They're just bad at conveying it, and not too creative.
Though BR are a very political and philosophical band (And generally force listeners to buy a thesaurus to figure out exactly what their song means), though I tend to like bands that are political, since politics tend to change, unlike the fact that people have too many hormones.

Mister Joy

That's a reasonable point actually. Still, I don't like political music simply because I have my own political views & I don't care what theirs are. I listen to music to be entertained not to be indoctrinated, so to speak.

Allhailtuna

Eh, I guess in my case its because I don't live in the US, and BR's music brings up many issues I probably wouldn't have heard of otherwise (I already had quite similar views to the ones expressed in their cowritten lyrics anyways, so... Yeah...)
It's also quite entertaining in a way to figure out what exactly they're talking about...
Another point I don't like about RA lyric-wise is that they make their song's meanings far too obvious, while BR's songs, while some are quite direct, often are subject to multiple interpretations.
...Yeah...
Generally, here, I'm not really old enough to do much politically (Yet), but I still try and help the poor, etc, and fortunately my school supports many organizations doing so, and lets us go on trips with other students and a few teachers to visit the people we donate to and organize fundraising events for (Last year I went to Mumbai, which happens to also be my birthplace), etc.
It's quite nice, really. Our Government, while not being an entirely fair Democracy, is incredibly impressive for one party (Since there are only one-party elections generally, due to the fact that the current party is good and nobody seems to see a reason in standing against them, since they tend to compromise), the only main objection I have is that gay marriage is banned...
But this is off-topic, so forget that.

Hmmmm... Who here have heard of 'TheLocust'?
They make screaming while constipated into impressive music...

rlrose328

I feel like I'm watching a conversation in another language... I have NO clue who the bands you're discussing are... I'm OLD!  ARGH!!!!  :(
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Mister Joy

In terms of my taste in music so am I, believe me. Personally I think the quality and originality of music began to deteriorate very quickly from the late 80s onwards (so pretty much as soon as I was born, in fact!) mainly because there's just too much money in it now. People can't afford to be interesting or take risks.

I apply the same logic to films actually. That's why you get so many awful remakes these days; they know that a certain formula works so they stick to it. New ideas are holding less and less appeal because if they don't sell it'll cost millions.