News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Ark Park

Started by Sophus, December 04, 2010, 02:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

This story has made mainstream news about Kentucky shelling out "$37 million in tax incentives" for a Creationist/Noah's Ark Theme Park. I know a lot of atheists like to visit Creationist Museums for kicks and giggles (I'll admit, although I've never gone I do fancy the idea of riding a robotic triceratops), though if there has to be a place to draw the line I think I'd draw it here. Not just because the money payed for an entrance ticket to see a big fake boat could be better spent on a theme park that's actually fun and equally as factual with talking mice or masked men with spider DNA, but because this monstrous amount of money for this monstrous amount of nonsense is too ridiculous, and shouldn't get a tax break like museums from any sane society. Even without us visiting they'll probably hurt enough. Eventually Creationists will prefer to visit Mickey over Noah.

‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

The Magic Pudding

I'm not paying, but if you want to share a cow suit, we could just stand around until they herd us onto the ark, but I do have to be at the eating end.
Ark Park has a ring to it, but Park Ark sounds even better, I think I could train a chook to say that.

joeactor

Yeah - saw a note on Gizmodo about this:
http://gizmodo.com/5704576/yes-there-wi ... -noahs-ark

So, gonna have live animals and dinosaurs?

Maybe they'll let the predators roam freely.  That way god can protect his people and they can prove this whole "natural selection" thing is nonsense...

"Who's a good lion?  I've got some carrots for you!"

TinkerBelle

No, really? Oh well, can't say I'm surprised. What I wanna know is, will this be a water park?

"Come for the dinosaurs, stay for the flood!"  roflol

Instead of fireworks at the end of the night, they could flood the entire park. Any survivors get a free pass for the next day.

Cheers,
Holly
"You must try it, it's a delicacy, but don't eat the penis, it's just garnish." - The Ref

McQ

As of this post there are nine votes for no and only my vote for yes. Wow. I am seriously in the minority here! Lol!

I figured it'd be worth the money to access the place and learn about it. Maybe shoot some video and see fist hand, rather than rely on second hand info about the place.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Recusant

A couple of things I noticed on the website for this inspiring project. (Yes, I said "inspiring," but I didn't say what it inspired in me.) :verysad:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sophus

Quote from: "Recusant"A couple of things I noticed on the website for this inspiring project. (Yes, I said "inspiring," but I didn't say what it inspired in me.) roflol That is too beautiful an observation.  :D

I am wondering when we will see the first Experience HELL theme park. It would be very popular come late October.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Croaker

I'd pay to go see it, just to see how in the hell they present the whole thing.

I mean, if they built it to the specifications in Scripture, and went through laying out the inside of the thing for all the animals, it could be interesting. Interesting to see how many animals they have to leave out, or how little room they have for food, or how you dispose of so much animal waste, or the numerous other problems with the ark story. I'd be curious to see if anyone visiting ark park would notice the problems themselves, once the ark is there for them to comprehend its actual size.

I'd really like to see the freshwater aquariums on board, myself.

Oh yeah, and I checked out the webpage as well - amusing, to say the least.   ;)

Sophus

I'm thinking that by building this ark they might actually get the opposite results they want. It'll put it into perspective for some folks that every animal in the world simply couldn't fit on that boat.

By the way, they are apparently only loading it up with young animals. If they're wanting to keep them "young" they'll have to go through a lot of replacements.

QuoteAnimals including giraffes -- but only small, young giraffes -- will be kept in pens on board.

"We think that God would probably have sent healthy juvenile-sized animals that weren't fully grown yet, so there would be plenty of room," said Mr. Zovath, a retired Army lieutenant colonel heading the ark project. "We want to show how Noah would have taken care of them, taken care of waste management, taken care of water needs and food needs."

Riiiiigghht. 'Cause you want to make this as realistic as possible.

What about the dinosaurs? How did Noah care for them?

Croaker

Quote from: "Sophus"I'm thinking that by building this ark they might actually get the opposite results they want. It'll put it into perspective for some folks that every animal in the world simply couldn't fit on that boat.

By the way, they are apparently only loading it up with young animals. If they're wanting to keep them "young" they'll have to go through a lot of replacements.

QuoteAnimals including giraffes -- but only small, young giraffes -- will be kept in pens on board.

"We think that God would probably have sent healthy juvenile-sized animals that weren't fully grown yet, so there would be plenty of room," said Mr. Zovath, a retired Army lieutenant colonel heading the ark project. "We want to show how Noah would have taken care of them, taken care of waste management, taken care of water needs and food needs."

Riiiiigghht. 'Cause you want to make this as realistic as possible.

What about the dinosaurs? How did Noah care for them?

Yeah, that's what I think would be the interesting part - how much stuff do they have to leave out to make it seem plausible? I totally think it'll have the opposite effect than what they want. It's easy to shrug off any quibbles about the ark, since it's just in writing - "You don't know how big it was!" - but once they build it to the exact size, and people can really see...

I'd love to see the cost sheets for this thing, for just the ark. How much wood it would take, how far they'll have to transport it, the cost of the sealants and whatnot. For real authenticity, they should have only a half dozen people build it, by hand - no cranes or any of that useful modern stuff.

As for the 'juvenile' thing, well...
http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CH/CH512_1.html

Whitney

I don't really have any interest in driving that far and paying a lot of money to see a half-ass replica or a mythological ark.  So, I voted no.

However, I would reconsider if I knew I could enter the park with a group of various scientific experts (preferably theists) all wearing shirts saying "ask me how I know the Noah story is a myth."  Then it would be worth paying.

McQ

Croaker brings up a point that I am almost willing to bet the park doesn't even bother addressing: the freshwater aquariums. Or, if they do think of them, they'll make up all sorts of shit reasons why they weren't needed. It's funny, in the ark story in the bible, there is little mentioned about all kinds of issues that biblical apologists have simply been making up shit in order to address, not the least of which is dinosaurs.

All of the bullshit could have been avoided if all of these douchebags had just had the intellectual honesty to admit it's just a story. But after a small group of people decide they are going to lie and then are willing to perpetuate that lie over and over until lots of people believe it we now have all of this manure.

And the sad bottom line is the same old story...follow the money.

Jerkoffs. All of them.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Asmodean

No... My money is better spent on smokes and gasoline.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Cecilie

They're building an ark?
The world's what you create.

Davin

Quote from: "Cecilie"They're building an ark?
First one, I wonder if they'll try to place two of every animal in it... and not clean it out for seven months, just give it that authenticity.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.