News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Bad Journalism

Started by LARA, December 03, 2010, 12:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARA

Recently read an article from a local small town paper that included some inflammatory statements about atheists. Apparently some unknown people in the community blamed atheists for the removal of some holiday decorations at a local store.  Not only were the quotes kind of insulting, they were unattributed.  Not a good thing in journalism.  The article itself did clear up the problem and explain that atheists did not oppose the holiday decor and the removal was a totally unrelated reason, which is a positive thing, but the fact that the quotes weren't attributed makes me frustrated about journalistic ethics. Without attributing the quote, one inflammatory statement could have come from anyone in the community, giving the impression that the town is solidly made up of the type of people who would say these things, which makes me a bit queasy. I think that if a person isn't brave enough to put their name on their statement, it probably isn't worth printing.  These weren't whistleblowers who needed anonymity, just people probably puffed up about some War on Christmas type rhetoric.

I don't really want to go into more detail because of the nature of the area I live in.  I really don't want to be harassed due to my beliefs or lack thereof.  I am hardly 'closeted' as an atheist, but advertising this online isn't all that smart, in my opinion.

At any rate, the minor frustration has me back here in the forum for a bit of solace.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

Recusant

Hi LARA, good to see you here again, though it's too bad that it was the prejudiced rantings of unattributed random townsfolk which spurred your return.  I hope it doesn't bother you, but I actually found the story mildly amusing.

"Them damn atheists and their War on Christmas!  They either stole our Christmas decorations [Whoville, anyone?] or forced the place to take 'em down!"

"The damn atheists had nothing to do with it? Well, they're still guided by Satan and...(mutter mutter mutter)."

I imagine that you knew already that ignorant yahoos who would make the sort of statements that you read live in your community.  It's a drag to be reminded of that fact, and by shoddy reporting in your local newspaper, no less.  Look at it from the rag's point of view though.  Its circulation, like that of most local newspapers, is probably way down from whatever days of glory it might have once enjoyed.  It sees big "news" outlets like Fox using "War on Christmas" "reporting" to keep their viewership up.  It also likely has at least a reasonable suspicion that many potential subscribers in the area are loyal consumers of the Fox News bile and shite.  What better way to try to up circulation at this time of year than to emulate Fox (including the lame attempt at reportage)?  The fact that they correctly reported that it wasn't "damn atheists" who removed the decorations is actually to their credit.  But might as well try to cash in on the "War on Christmas" gravy train anyway. ;)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

LARA

"prejudiced rantings of unattributed random townsfolk"  :)
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

Recusant

*Bows*

It was my pleasure LARA; you're welcome.

To offer support to one another is one of the reasons we're here, after all. :D
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

McQ

LARA, I agree that it's pretty crappy "journalism" on your paper's part. They shouldn't have printed those without attribution. That stuff is bullshit. I live in the same type of small town with a local paper that is just chock full of crappy reporting and bush-league journalism.

And I also am glad to see you posting again. Certainly miss your presence when you are on HAF Holiday!  :)
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette