News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

When the church comes knocking...

Started by TinkerBelle, November 29, 2010, 04:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TinkerBelle

Don't know if this is the place to post, or perhaps there is a thread relating to it. I'd like to know what you do when religious solicitors come to your door. This happens quite frequently where I am, and it feels like an invasion of privacy to me, especially when I ask them not to return and yet they do. How do you guys and gals react to this? (I'm seriously thinking of faking demonic possession next time they come calling. Maybe that will get my point across? kidding...)

Cheers,
Holly
"You must try it, it's a delicacy, but don't eat the penis, it's just garnish." - The Ref

Whitney

You could put up one or all of the following:

I haven't had anyone trying to sell religion at my door for a long long time, I think I was a child the last time I saw one at a place I was living.  But when people are there trying to sell other stuff I usually just don't answer the door and may yell through it that I'm not interested (don't like opening door to strangers if home alone).

TinkerBelle

It happens once a week (at least) where I live. While I do have a "Illness in family. Do not disturb" sign on the door, people from local churches still feel the need to come calling. It isn't always a matter of ignoring them. My roommate has a bad habit of opening the door and having lengthy discussions about Christ, etc. I wouldn't have a problem with that, except it perpetuates the issue, since he contends he doesn't want them coming around either. The thing is, when I bother to answer the door, I politely tell them that I'm not interested. They are persistent...
Just curious how other people handle it, that's all. Nothing mind-blowing. Simple question.

Cheers,
Holly
"You must try it, it's a delicacy, but don't eat the penis, it's just garnish." - The Ref

hismikeness

I've got two things that I do. Normally its the first one, but one of these days, when the mood strikes me just right, I am going to do the second, and hopefully have the wherewithall to record it.

1. Tell them I'm not interested politely and start to shut the door. If they persist I fling the door open step out on to the porch (I'm 6'6" and 370 pounds) and say "I'm not fucking interested, and I've told you that once already!", and then they leave.

2. I'm hoping when the Mormons come-a-calling and I'm, like I said, in that "mood", I'll invite them in and start brewing a fresh pot of coffee and offer it to them. When they refuse, I will half-jokingly ask if they have something against coffee. Obviously, I know they do, but I want to get their take on it. My goal throughout will be to control the conversation, because afterall, they're in my house. I will set ground rules like don't interrupt me, don't feed me "it's God's plan" bullshit, and don't ask me why I believe something I believe... I'm not the one trying to sway them. I'm sure it won't go that way, but I want my house to be blacklisted from those people.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

elliebean

I just answer the door wearing my inverted pentagram / 666 t-shirt.  :devil:
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Whitney"You could put up one or all of the following:

In places where the British legal system has been inherited a solicitor is a lawyer, so this sign could have other benefits.

Cecilie

I just say "no" and close the door. Simple as that.
The world's what you create.

Sophus

My neighborhood must be safe haven from JoHo's because we never get any. There are the occasional neighbors' lawn workers who beg me to hire them to chop down my tree!  :brick:
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Asmodean

I invite them in, make coffee and lecture them on the infinite glory of Satan.  :pop:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Cecilie

Quote from: "Asmodean"I invite them in, make coffee and lecture them on the infinite glory of Satan.  :P
The world's what you create.

TinkerBelle

Quote from: "Asmodean"I invite them in, make coffee and lecture them on the infinite glory of Satan.  :pop:

LOL I'd love to try that, but my roommate would not approve. Love your response. I was kinda hoping for that sort of thing, or what people would like to do when the church comes calling. I think I'd make strange tea instead... Mwahaha.

Asmodean

Me, I don't have a roomie. I do, however, have pet rats, which for some reason seem to emphasise my every point in the eyes of poor JWs and mormons and whatnots... the same pair very rarely comes back  :|
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

TinkerBelle

Quote from: "Asmodean"Me, I don't have a roomie. I do, however, have pet rats, which for some reason seem to emphasise my every point in the eyes of poor JWs and mormons and whatnots... the same pair very rairly comes back  :|

You'd be amazed how much rats and roomies have in common! LOL

Cheers,
Holly

KDbeads

I have a 90 pound black seizure prone dog that likes to greet people  :D  People don't always like her slobbering all over them or her habit of jumping to greet so they don't ring my door bell anymore.  Which is good cause that door bell can trigger the slobber inducing seizure to begin with.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

KebertX

Jehova's witnesses believe they can go to hell for seeing another man naked. So I'd say that's the perfect moment for guys to... Get naked.

Just Sayin'
"Reality is that which when you close your eyes it does not go away.  Ignorance is that which allows you to close your eyes, and not see reality."

"It can't be seen, smelled, felt, measured, or understood, therefore let's worship it!" ~ Anon.