News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Agnosticism

Started by Ivan Tudor C McHock, November 27, 2010, 09:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inevitable Droid

I'm agnostic toward Deism because I can't come up with any arguments to refute it.  My Hard Atheism thread is an attempt to elicit help in that regard.  Discussions there are interesting and useful in a variety of ways but haven't yet arrived at a refutation of Deism, unfortunately.  So agnostic toward Deism I remain.  Incidentally, this agnosticism is potentially useful in that it might allow me to non-hypocritically join forces with Deists in the cause of apatheism, as I noted in my Deism thread.  The universe is clearly indifferent to human survival, success, or happiness, since death, failure, and misery abound.  If deity created the universe, then logic suggests we view deity as indifferent, and common sense suggests we reciprocate that indifference - hence apatheism.  My agnosticism toward Deism allows me to say to the Deist, sincerely, "Hey, maye you're right, and maybe you're not, I don't know, but we can agree on apatheism."  The earthly benefit of apatheism is that it functions as a first step toward taking logic and common sense as our sole guides.  The Deist might well want to support that.

Does anyone else see honest agnosticism as potentially useful for developing non-hypocritical strategic alliances?
Oppose Abraham.

[Missing image]

In the face of mystery, do science, not theology.

Stevil

Quote from: "Achronos"Atheism is immoral by definition. Ingratitude is a deep character flaw and a deadly sin.

Achronos, you live in a very intolerant mindset. It's your way or the highway. So far I have read you shoot down Protestants, Atheists, Muslims, Jehovah Witnesses, Doctors...

You have stated your view of your god's love
Quote from: "Achronos"The 'peace' I talk about is true 'love'. You can not hate, neglect, reject, subjugate, or the like, if you are filled with 'love'. That's the ultimate Christian message, and who God is.
Personaly I don't feel you are portraying this Christian message too well. Intolerance in my view is a real ugly character trait and I feel it is inconsistent with this message of love you speak about.

I am greatfull that you have stated your position on whether you are Agnostic or not as I was a bit confused on this.
Quote from: "Achronos"So going back to my initial claim stating that agnositicsm is the natural 'religion' of man, I mean that in the sense that we cannot exactly fully know or comprehend God; but that's not to say Orhtodoxy is based on agnositicsm because we do know God does exist by His revelation in the form of Jesus Christ.
I thought you were Agnostic but obviously not. I still do get a bit confused when you lump your own opinion in with that of your Orthodoxy faith, whether it is on purpose or whether you see that there is no difference between your own opinion and that of the Orthodoxy but I get a strong asscertation when you qualify by stating "we do know God does exist"