News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Avidians?

Started by TinkerBelle, December 03, 2010, 02:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TinkerBelle

Was reading an interesting article from Michigan State University involving some research they've been doing about artificial intelligence/evolution. Make of it what you will. This is the link they provided: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/ ... evolution/

This kind of thing gets me very excited. There was an article about this back in August, but this one is pretty fresh. What do you think people will do with this? Does it bother anyone about the possible ramifications for the future of AI?

What will be really cool is when they're able to download our conscious and subconscious minds into a simulation. We could theoretically cheat deah! LOL Yep, wake me when that happens.

Cheers,
Holly
"You must try it, it's a delicacy, but don't eat the penis, it's just garnish." - The Ref

Inevitable Droid

This is some of the most important research currently under way, in any field, anywhere, as it has the potential to inform many other fields of study.

Incidentally, our own brain cells may well be functioning in a manner analogous to fireflies and Avidians.  The emerging functional complexity in our brains may derive from the very same principles as those discussed in the article.  This would suggest that the Avidians may be pointing the way to Artificial Sapience, a prospect that long ago captured my imagination.  This research has my attention. :pop:
Oppose Abraham.

[Missing image]

In the face of mystery, do science, not theology.

TinkerBelle

Quote from: "Inevitable Droid"This is some of the most important research currently under way, in any field, anywhere, as it has the potential to inform many other fields of study.

Incidentally, our own brain cells may well be functioning in a manner analogous to fireflies and Avidians.  The emerging functional complexity in our brains may derive from the very same principles as those discussed in the article.  This would suggest that the Avidians may be pointing the way to Artificial Sapience, a prospect that long ago captured my imagination.  This research has my attention. ;)
"You must try it, it's a delicacy, but don't eat the penis, it's just garnish." - The Ref

grim-reaper

This is one of thoses concepts that used to be mainly thought of as belonging to science fiction. I remember reading several science fiction stories where the idea played a role. I also remember an old movie or television episode (not sure which) in which a dead man's personality had been stored in a computer -- his face was visible on a screen and could show different expressions, and his voice was coming from a speaker, as he tried to convince his still-living relatives to take revenge against the man who had murdered him.