News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Beef jerky

Started by Thumpalumpacus, November 22, 2010, 07:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McQ

Quote from: "KDbeads"I shall have jerky in the next couple of days  :yay:

Now to decide on flavor.......  Teryaki ginger sounds good at the moment though mesquite onion is running a close second......

Oh, man...mesquite anything sounds great!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "KDbeads"I shall have jerky in the next couple of days  :yay:

Now to decide on flavor.......  Teryaki ginger sounds good at the moment though mesquite onion is running a close second......

You should put out the specifics.  I can guess with some of that, but damn, if something is working well, don't hold out on us!

To show my earnestness, here's how I make my barbecue sauce.  Note that this is not only good for jerky, if you thin it out a little, but is really good on chicken, or a slow-cooked pork roast (paint the roast with this sauce, wrap it in foil, an roast over a low mesquite fire for a few hours).  Mind you, if you guys let this secret out, I will set the Mossad on you.  Or the Texas Rangers, whoever has the next Saturday off.

8-12 oz ketchup
2-3 oz yellow mustard
2-3 tbsp brown sugar
3-4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
3-6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/4 - 1/2 cup brown onion, finely chopped
1 small - medium roma tomato, again, finely chopped
Salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, tabasco, cumin, chili powder, and paprika

Mix all of this into a saucepan, raise to a soft boil, lower fire, cover, and simmer for two or so hours.  You'll need to season it to your taste, so I haven't given measures on that.  Cooking is like good jazz, anyway.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

KDbeads

Teriyaki marinade (3 pounds of meat)
1 bottle low sodium teriyaki sauce (I use this because it's more viscous, sticks to the meat better)
2 tbsp powdered ginger, I'm using china #1 from thespicehouse.com, use fresh if at all possible, not the stuff sitting in the pantry for an eon
1 tbsp garlic juice, I buy the big things of minced garlic, have to use that juice!

Mix it all together and add meats, marinade 12 to 24 hours.  If it's a little too thick add just a touch of soy sauce.  Sometimes I have to add the soy, sometimes I don't
If you add a couple of cheap beers (we use MGD) to it it makes a fabulous marinade for a whole chicken or a bunch of wings (add your hot sauce too), we call it drunk chicken.

Mesquite Onion marinade (for about 3 pounds of meat)
1 really large onion (or 3 medium), pureed in processor or blender or just juice it if you have a juicer
2 tbsp mesquite powder (I'm getting mine from thespicehouse.com)
2 tbsp garlic juice
1/4 cup soy sauce

Mix together and add meats, if you need a little more liquid, add some beer.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

McQ

Thanks for sharing those recipes!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Thumpalumpacus

Thread is garnering win!

KDbeads

Just loaded the dehydrator......................   :drool
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

KDbeads

I should add..... I opted for teriyaki ginger.......

Another one in case you are needing inspiration:
(never named it)
1 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp liquid smoke
1 can MGD
2 tbsp crushed garlic

Mix and marinate for minimum of 48 hours, the sugars in the beer really penetrate best if you leave it that long.

Gawen

KD...I can't be too far from you. PM me your address and I'll come give it a taste test for the forum....*droolin' and chucklin'*
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Thumpalumpacus

A good, simple marinade: equal parts Worcestershire sauce and Louisiana hot sauce.  Pepper the meat with each flip.  Be carefull -- it'll bite you back.

Gawen

I wonder....if anyone has used Adolph's (or similar) meat tenderizer?
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Thumpalumpacus

Those can be used, sure.  Myself, I'm not big on their salt content.

KDbeads

I have but the meat gets too flimsy for dehydrating for me.  Plus the MSG in it tends to bother the family in it so we don't use it often otherwise.

Woke up to a house that smelled like teriyaki..... good thing to wake up to on T-day when for the first time in 15 years I'm not making the turkey.

Wish I could use the hot sauce  ;)

parrotpirate

Watkins (I think they're like a food version of Avon or Tupperware) used to make a jerky seasoning that was made to mix with ground beef. Something like a pound of meat mixed with a couple of tablespoons of the seasoning, spread thin on a baking sheet and pop in the oven. Baked at around 200 F for like 6 hours or something. It actually turned out pretty good. (Found it at a gun show.)
The one thing everybody needs to remember is that I never claimed to be sane!

Thumpalumpacus

Try that with a thin-sliced round, or a milanesa, and post back to let us know how it comes out.  The cooking instructions might need  a little more time, but if it's good, it's good.

KDbeads

:drool  :drool  :drool  :drool