News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Beef jerky

Started by Thumpalumpacus, November 22, 2010, 07:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KDbeads

Jerky....................................

Damn got to pull the dehydrators back out now............

Thinking teriyaki ginger or maybe mesquite smoked...

:drool
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

McQ

Mmmm.goood stuff.

I never learned to make it myself. But man, it's one of those things that is just so friggin' good. Guessing it's pretty simple to make, but has a lots of variations. You've made me hungry for it now!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Thumpalumpacus

I don't have a dryer, but I do have an adjustable bbq, so I set the pan to max low (about 2 feet, or .6 m for you funny folk), get a good mesquite fire going, wait until the coals are dying, and then smoke for about two hours.  I like experimenting with marinades, including my own homemade bbq sauce, or a mix of Worcestershire & Louisiana hot sauces.  I marinate for two to three days, using thinly sliced top-round or skirt steaks.

eta:  It's really easy, Mac.  The marinade is the hardest part, and that's cake too.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

McQ

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"I don't have a dryer, but I do have an adjustable bbq, so I set the pan to max low (about 2 feet, or .6 m for you funny folk), get a good mesquite fire going, wait until the coals are dying, and then smoke for about two hours.  I like experimenting with marinades, including my own homemade bbq sauce, or a mix of Worcestershire & Louisiana hot sauces.  I marinate for two to three days, using thinly sliced top-round or skirt steaks.

eta:  It's really easy, Mac.  The marinade is the hardest part, and that's cake too.

That makes sense. With BBQ, it's always the rub or the marinade that gives everything its individuality and zip. A good rub or marinade is an art. Fun to play with different ingredients and see how things come out.

Do you find the length of time for the marinade makes a lot of difference once you get beyond a day or day and a half (I would guess so, since you do 2-3 days, but that's another area I have little experience with)? My wife has a real good knack for making these awesome marinades, but I'm a rookie still.
--Penn Jillette

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "McQ"
Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"I don't have a dryer, but I do have an adjustable bbq, so I set the pan to max low (about 2 feet, or .6 m for you funny folk), get a good mesquite fire going, wait until the coals are dying, and then smoke for about two hours.  I like experimenting with marinades, including my own homemade bbq sauce, or a mix of Worcestershire & Louisiana hot sauces.  I marinate for two to three days, using thinly sliced top-round or skirt steaks.

That makes sense. With BBQ, it's always the rub or the marinade that gives everything its individuality and zip. A good rub or marinade is an art. Fun to play with different ingredients and see how things come out.

Do you find the length of time for the marinade makes a lot of difference once you get beyond a day or day and a half (I would guess so, since you do 2-3 days, but that's another area I have little experience with)? My wife has a real good knack for making these awesome marinades, but I'm a rookie still.

It depends on the viscosity.  A thin marinade will penetrate the muscle tissues quicker.  I pierce the meat, but even doing so, a thicker marinade needs more time to permeate the cut, imo.  Plus, there's plenty of times I get it started, and then say, "Aw, hell, I don't want to cook tonight."

Now, steaks and roasts in my house get a minimum of two days, and often four, but I do those in beer or wine, which greatly inhibits bacterial issues.

McQ

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"It depends on the viscosity.  A thin marinade will penetrate the muscle tissues quicker.  I pierce the meat, but even doing so, a thicker marinade needs more time to permeate the cut, imo.  Plus, there's plenty of times I get it started, and then say, "Aw, hell, I don't want to cook tonight."

Now, steaks and roasts in my house get a minimum of two days, and often four, but I do those in beer or wine, which greatly inhibits bacterial issues.

Cool. Thanks.
--Penn Jillette

Goathead

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "Goathead"What are you an idiot? This thread's just stupid.
My idiocy or lack thereof is highly irrelevant to this discussion. The stupidity and/or purposelessness of this thread are highly subjective to the reader.

Now, just for the heck of it, by which standards of productivity is this thread unproductive? By whos standards of intelligence am I an idiot? And by whos standards of smarts is this thread stupid?

You might as well provide proof at once since otherwise, that will be my next series of questions. Proof of unproductiveness would be, for instance, not fulfilling key points of the definition of "productive". Proof of idiocy would require comparison of IQ test scores and proof of stupidity would require a somewhat more philosophical approach.

Knock yourself out. I'll wait  :( )

So in other words all you can say is "define stupid" and "define productive"? You know that's often used as an excuse by people who are themselves stupid and unproductive.
Eg. Person A: "I feel that atheism regards such and such characteristics"
Person B: "(uh-oh, I don't like where this is going... wait! I know!) Well then DEFINE atheism! (That should serve to distract Person A from their previous point)"

McQ

Quote from: "Goathead"So in other words all you can say is "define stupid" and "define productive"? You know that's often used as an excuse by people who are themselves stupid and unproductive.
Eg. Person A: "I feel that atheism regards such and such characteristics"
Person B: "(uh-oh, I don't like where this is going... wait! I know!) Well then DEFINE atheism! (That should serve to distract Person A from their previous point)"

Goathead, you being newer to this forum, I just want to provide you with some information. This is the "Laid Back Lounge" section of the forum. It exists specifically for all the members to chat about anything we care to. If there is a topic in here that doesn't interest a person, that person is completely free to ignore it.

There is no reason whatsoever in posting about how pointless you think a topic is, unless it is in jest, since by their nature, the topics in this section will appeal to just those with interest in specific topics. For example, this topic might or might not interest me. I can post and say something like, "Wow, is this esoteric!" AND THEN go on to make some meaningful addition to the topic.

Please read the forum rules on civility, and enjoy yourself. Thanks.
--Penn Jillette

KDbeads

I do some with a little vinegar, last time was mulberry vinegar.  Damn that was good....

For everything 1/4" and under it's 24 to 36 hours, for anything larger it's around 48.

Going into town today, will come back armed with roast beast for jerky
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

McQ

Quote from: "KDbeads"I do some with a little vinegar, last time was mulberry vinegar.  Damn that was good....

For everything 1/4" and under it's 24 to 36 hours, for anything larger it's around 48.

Going into town today, will come back armed with roast beast for jerky

Looks like someone's going to get her jerky on! Go on with your bad self!  :headbang:
--Penn Jillette

Goathead

McQ, I'm not sure if you noticed, but we've already left the topic of how pointless this thread is.

Thumpalumpacus

Goathead, stay on topic, please.  You got a jerky recipe or technique to share?

Asmodean

Quote from: "Goathead"So in other words all you can say is "define stupid" and "define productive"? You know that's often used as an excuse by people who are themselves stupid and unproductive.
Are you a troll or something..? And yes, I can define trolling at need.

I am not asking you to define anything, just answer the questions presented to you. The first would require you to specify where the definition of productiveness is breached and how, in a way adequate to demonstrate that this post is un-productive. The second would need a comparison of IQ test scores and the third, you can solve however the hell you like.

Not that I expected much from you, except maybe a demonstration of your own un-productiveness and just how badly that bee stung you in the ass  lol
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

McQ

Quote from: "Goathead"McQ, I'm not sure if you noticed, but we've already left the topic of how pointless this thread is.

Goathead, I'm not sure if you noticed, but my post to you was a very polite reminder and request that you read this forum's rules and act in a civil manner. You may also not have noticed that I am a moderator for the forum.

So let me remind you again to please read the forum rules, and please act in a civil manner.
--Penn Jillette

KDbeads

I shall have jerky in the next couple of days  :yay:

Now to decide on flavor.......  Teryaki ginger sounds good at the moment though mesquite onion is running a close second......