News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Atheist View on War.

Started by tymygy, November 07, 2010, 02:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "xSilverPhinx"I don't know, I was opposed to war but my views have changed. I think that sometimes it's necessary, because it's the only way it seems. War is what you resort to when all else has failed but you're not willing to give in.

From a comfortable standpoint, war is horrible and best avoided. But sometimes we don't find ourselves in comfortable positions.
...So under what circumstances should North Korea invade China?  lol  Firstly, if they want to invade a country with more than a billion people I would like to see them try! :pop:

Hypothetically, if you were in charge of a country who is going to use weapons of mass destruction (real and verified) to obliterate your nation, what would you do?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Asmodean"...So under what circumstances should North Korea invade China?  :raised:

Through 100 million years of continental drift?
If there is not bark left on the trees to eat?

Asmodean

Quote from: "xSilverPhinx"Hypothetically, if you were in charge of a country who is going to use weapons of mass destruction (real and verified) to obliterate your nation, what would you do?
If I was in charge of WMD's to be launched against my own nation... Well, I suppose I'd launch.  :P

Wording of the question aside, I'd prepare to defend and, once attacked, counter.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "xSilverPhinx"Hypothetically, if you were in charge of a country who is going to use weapons of mass destruction (real and verified) to obliterate your nation, what would you do?
If I was in charge of WMD's to be launched against my own nation... Well, I suppose I'd launch.  :hide:

Exactly, there's one circumstance where war is justifiable. People need to defend themselves against demise and sometimes offense is the best defense.  :D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Stevil

Movies like Saving Private Ryan and Rambo IV are great anti war movies.
Show it for what it is, a horrible pointless mess.

Also songs like Iron Maiden's Afraid to Shoot Strangers, or Run to the Hills.

I really do think people ought to read books on WWI and WWII, otherwise it is hard to understand what went on and why. It must have been bloody terrifying when the Japanese were attacking Darwin with NZ yet to come after Australia and at that point the Japanese hadn't had lost any of their battles.
There was a similar story with the Germans and Italians who where beating everyone.

It was a race against time, for the allies to develop technology and weapons before the Axis took over the world.
We were just lucky that Britan was an island and had dominance over the channel and that the American's discovered the Japanese ocean fleet before the Japanese discovered the Americans.

OldGit

From my point of view as an atheist, war and religion are the two big universal aberrations of mankind.  When christians come at me with the old argument of spirituality being universal among humans, I can reply "So is war, and that's not good either".

Hidelight

The Quakers got to me growing up...I am a pacifist...I would give my life to protect .. not take one

War if a fact sadly even if we do not believe ...it is there

My husband is a vet but was an electronics instructor so he never saw combat thank goodness...

I believe in building up not breaking down

Environmentally war is horrific!..in fact I can not think of a "good" reason for it...but a milion and two  excuses for "why" ...I guess we as human beings in general think it is valuable because we keep doing it?

Kind of like hitting a kid to teach them not to hit?

Violence begets violence as far as my very limited view of all this goes....I do not see that changing...mainly because of God and religion...not to sound fatalistic or anything...but I do feel this will not stop until everything is gone

roy1967

It bothers me that we still fight over the stupid things we do.  I sort of get America's invasion to secure the petroleum fields in the middle east, although it makes me sick that my country would devastate another just for oil. it's definitley not a legitimite reason to kill so many people.

The next big, possibly global conflict will be over water supplies as our populations continue to rise and we continue to waste on an epic scale.  Soon there will not be enough even for the "haves". 

Yep, the next big conflict will be one of desperation..... I guess I can understand that one.
The school is the last expenditure upon which America should be willing to economize.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

pytheas

war is the deformed child of Neccesity.

In our living history Greed and not Circumstance raped Necessity
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

Asmodean

War is a tribalist act of penis enlargement, is what it is.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

pytheas

well, all humans are intrinsically and truly atheist
war statistics prove it, pushing us below the urangotang
that is an appropriate model deity, for a personal god

although religion is used to conduct the war, it never serves as a real cause.
high ranking priests like key generals cannot be religious. Power does not allow for irrelevant nonsense

the crunch is that even without religion is war inevitable? or has it got to do simply with wallet  (and penis) size???
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

MarcusA

The Logos has nothing to do with love, it is but a fight to the death for the minds of people.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.