News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Ethical basis for Veganism or Vegetarianism?

Started by bitter_sweet_symphony, November 17, 2007, 10:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacoma_kyle

I eat meat.

There are much more important things for me to think about than trying to figure out and rationalize what sources are 'human' (open to interpretation).

Whats a human way to kill them? I was always under the impression they just took a bullet---I dont see a prob...
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

Mister Joy

Don't think it's so much about the killing as it is about the life they lead before hand (unless you're one of these wacky PETA people who think that owning pets is immoral, let alone killing livestock). As I said, it matters a lot in the sense that it plays a huge role in the quality of the meat. If an animal is cooped up in a box all of its life, gets fed its own kind recycled and never gets to see sunlight then it's going to taste pretty skanky.

tacoma_kyle

May be one of the differences in better/worse meats---that you can taste.

You know some companies cattle industry have actually had good cloning---no great turnovers in the quality of cattle based off the cloned specimens. Used artificial insemination. Read that in rolling stone though. They clones were quite spendy though, but were primarily a research project. That was the impression the article gave me though.

Supposedly the FDA even deemed them adequate to eat in every way---but they didnt get the 'stamp' of approval. No real reason according to RS.

Big Mac

A life without steaks is a life not worth living. I'd rather get "saved" than go veg.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

donkeyhoty

Quote from: "Big Mac"I'd rather get "saved" than go veg
I don't know.  At least fruits and veggies have something to offer.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

Big Mac

Quote from: "donkeyhoty"

Yeah but a life without a T-bone is like life without.....boobs.....just not worth living. And Hitler was a vegetarian.

tacoma_kyle

Word on Hitlor. Thats why he was pissed off all the time.

Big Mac

Quote from: "tacoma_kyle"Word on Hitlor. Thats why he was pissed off all the time.

No TV and no beer make Homer something-something...  :D

Smarmy Of One

I was a vegetarian for 8 years. I convinced my girlfriend to become on and now she has been for quite a few years. Now I eat meat again, but she is still a veg-head.

Some good reasons for a veggie diet are:

1. A vegetarian lifestyle is much easier on the environment. You can feed more people from crops grown in the same amount of land used for cattle. I don't know the percentages off hand, but the numbers are out there.

2. Cattle emit methane gas when they fart which is a greenhouse gas.

3. Fecal runoff from animal farms can get into the water supply and be lethal to populations. This will become more common place as town house complexes are built up in farmland not allowing fecal runoff in rain water to naturally filter through the ground. Instead it channels down cement roads and into cement sewers until it finds it's way into the drinking supply.

4. Spread of viral diseases like avian flu and ebola from meat consumption.

5. Poor quality meats, especially ground beef, have been found to contain fecal matter and even ground up cancerous tumors. I don't know the science, but eating a tumor can't be good for you.

6. Many poor quality meats are full of steroids and growth hormones. These chemicals are carried in the meat and we then digest it.

7. Animals are full of pesticides and herbicides from their environments. Sure fruits and vegetables gathered from conventional farming methods have these chemicals too, but only from that season. So the chemicals are in relatively small amounts. When you eat meat from an animal that has been feeding on pesticide laden foods, you are getting in one meal that animal's lifetime worth of poisons stored in it's fat.

8. People are supposed to eat meat naturally, but NOT as much meat as a typical person does. If you look back 100s of 1000s of years when we first became a human animal, we probably were only able to get our grubby paws on meat very rarely. Most of our days would have been spent as gatherers, eating fruits and grains. Our main meat source, was most likely insects. So our bodies didn't evolve to be able to process 3 cheeseburgers a day.

I eat meat now, but only every couple of days and I either have it alone or as the smallest portion on my plate. I also only eat free range and organic meats. More expensive, but because I don't eat a ton of it, my grocery bill is still quite low.

Smarmy Of One

Quote from: "Big Mac"
Quote from: "donkeyhoty"

Yeah but a life without a T-bone is like life without.....boobs.....just not worth living. And Hitler was a vegetarian.

Hitler was also anti-communist.

:D

Big Mac

Touche, but you're Canadian so technically you're like a quarter Commie :P.

Eh, good reasons, but Meat tastes good and it's effecient for protein and the way mother nature intended us to eat.

Smarmy Of One

QuoteTouche, but you're Canadian so technically you're like a quarter Commie .

Personally, more like half. :D

QuoteEh, good reasons, but Meat tastes good and it's effecient for protein and the way mother nature intended us to eat.

No arguments there. Moderation is the key.

Big Mac

Indeed, Though I do like the occasional 72 oz steak. Eat it all and it's free!

Enigma

I'm a vegetarian, have been for about 3 years now.  I became one because animal slaughtering is cruel.  Even if it is done humanly I won't eat it.  Because frankly I don't want to die even if the death is "humane".
  It really isn't that hard, and I have noticed that being a vegetarian saves a little bit of money.  Although it can be hard if you go out to eat a lot. There also seems to be a misconception that if you are a vegetarian you are really skinny.  But most people are surprised when I tell them I am a vegetarian.  Because I am quite muscular. Aside from the fruits and veggies I eat a lot of nuts (most nuts oz. per oz. contain more protein than meat) and I take a multivitamin and I am healthier than most people who's diets include meat. :wink:
“The earth is flat, and anyone who disputes this claim is an atheist who deserves to be punished”

23alv

People always start fights whith me when they find out I do not eat meat but I have emotanal issus form my childhood and being a vegetarian just helps me to bloke the past out. Just though I would put this out thier that just because some one does not eat meat does not mean they do it to save anilmals are for a religious porpouse. I have just set my life aparte form other people and it makes me happy. Thier are 3 thins that make me happy wich are being atheist, vegetarian, and a lesbian.