News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

2010 Election Results

Started by jduster, November 03, 2010, 06:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jduster

Republicans gain over 60 seats in the House of Representatives, giving them a majority.  Democrats narrowly manage to keep the Senate.

Your thoughts?

DropLogic

My view is....Your turn now, I hope you can walk your talk.

Tom62

I don't think that the US citizens will benefit from the results, unless the Republicans and the Democrats will work together to solve the major problems.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

DropLogic

Quote from: "Tom62"I don't think that the US citizens will benefit from the results, unless the Republicans and the Democrats will work together to solve the major problems.
51% and 49%?
Nothing will get through.  The legislative process will be completely stalled for at least 2 years.

Tom62

Quote from: "DropLogic"51% and 49%?
Nothing will get through.  The legislative process will be completely stalled for at least 2 years.
That is what I fear as well. And guess, who will be the "Savior" in 2012? Yep, Sarah Palin  :shake:
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

DropLogic

Quote from: "Tom62"
Quote from: "DropLogic"51% and 49%?
That is what I fear as well. And guess, who will be the "Savior" in 2012? Yep, Sarah Palin  :shake:
Eh..I think the wind is finally leaving her sails. There will be another bimbo to take her place though.  I have faith in the ignorance and stupidity of the American populace.

Thumpalumpacus

It bums me out.  I only hope the Democrats call the Republicans on their ever-present bluffs of filibuster, so that people will see exactly what the Republicans are willing to fight for: reduced environmental protection, reduced unemployment insurance, reduced taxes for those at the top .... and so on.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Will

My first thought was back to college learning about battered person syndrome. While JDuster did remind me that there were two things that were done correctly under Bush, the vast, vast majority of things done under Republican rule from 2000-2006 was ultimately harmful to the country and to the planet. The voters are developing learned helplessness.

That said, my new governor is a Democrat and the 2/3 majority rule was overturned. California could start to see improvements in the coming years.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

DropLogic

A politician's party doesn't determine if they'll do the right thing or not.

jduster

Lack of a multiquote irks me.

DropLogic: I have no doubt that this new Republican Congress will take this country in the right direction.  We will walk our walk.
Tom62: Yes, it will require working together.  Obama said he wanted to work with the Republicans twice.  Once, during the beginning of his term, a fake token gesture, to make an illusion of bipartisanship in a Congress he once controlled.  Now that he lost the house, his proposal is for real this time, because he's in a lowly position now.
DropLogic: The Pledge to America will get passed.  There are a lot of conservative Democrats still.
Drop Logic: Party does matter.  Party is essentially what decides policy.  One cannot say there isn't a huge distinction between the policies of the two parties.  Personal qualities and administrative skills don't matter in Congress.  Representatives do not govern.  They only vote.  That is why a stupid person with the correct policies is better than a smart person with the wrong policies.

Sophus

I think it's unfortunate that the majority of voters can't learn from history, but speaking of history, this party imbalance is actually the norm. The vote swings like this all the time.

I'm more upset about the fact that my state is now run by a corrupt greedy embezzler who was able to buy political power with his millions of dollars.  :brick:
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Will"My first thought was back to college learning about battered person syndrome. While JDuster did remind me that there were two things that were done correctly under Bush, the vast, vast majority of things done under Republican rule from 2000-2006 was ultimately harmful to the country and to the planet. The voters are developing learned helplessness.

That said, my new governor is a Democrat and the 2/3 majority rule was overturned. California could start to see improvements in the coming years.

Oddly enough, given my centrist background, I'm very happy Brown won out.  Especially given the alternative.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Will

Yeah, the idea of Meg Whitman (R - Goldman Sachs) as governor scared the crap out of me.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Sophus

Quote from: "Will"Yeah, the idea of Meg Whitman (R - Goldman Sachs) as governor scared the crap out of me.

(From Obey Giant)
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

jduster

I'm indifferent toward the California results, though I do have some affinity toward Jerry Brown.

But I'm very happy with my governor.