News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Inevitable Droid

Started by Inevitable Droid, November 02, 2010, 03:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inevitable Droid

I'm anti-faith.  Sometimes I think faithophobe would be a better term for people like me than atheist. I'm atheist because I'm anti-faith.  Believing in anyting without evidence repels me.  Not just God.  Any superstition.  And not just superstition.  Pollyanna perspectives repel me too.  "People are basically good."  What does that even mean?  Faith in man can be as destructive as faith in God.  

I'm OK with hope.  Hope can co-exist with verification.  It can persist in the face of falsification without being dishonest or delusional.  "I hope one day that man will walk on Mars."  Hasn't happened yet but it could.  Until it does, I can hope.  If I retain clarity as to what has occurred so far and what hasn't, I can persist legitimately in my hope that what hasn't, someday will.  

A lot of my hope is invested in the science of robotics.  The possibilities excite me.  The potential inspires me.

I also have a desire that atheists who want to get married should be able to find other atheists to officiate their weddings.  I'm conducting an experiment in that vein.  See my sig.
Oppose Abraham.

[Missing image]

In the face of mystery, do science, not theology.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Inevitable Droid"I also have a desire that atheists who want to get married should be able to find other atheists to officiate their weddings.  I'm conducting an experiment in that vein.  See my sig.

Can't atheist celebrants be found?
Could be a job for robots.
I would have been happy for Marven to do mine.

Oh ye, welcome Droid.

Tank

Hi ID

In the UK there a secular 'celebrents' that can perform hatchings, matching and despatching. I toyed with the idea of training to do it but it's expensive and without the training the {British Humanists Association won't let you advertise your services on their website so in the end I decided not to do it. That and my wife pointed out that I might thump some moaning minni that said it 'wasn't a proper ceremony, she's probably right  :blush:

Welcome aboard

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Thumpalumpacus

Illegitimi non carborundum.

DropLogic

My wife and I were married by a boat captain. :)

Tank

Quote from: "DropLogic"My wife and I were married by a boat captain. :)
That's pretty romantic, unless he was your about-to-be father-in-law and her brother was there with a shotgun
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "Inevitable Droid"I also have a desire that atheists who want to get married should be able to find other atheists to officiate their weddings.  I'm conducting an experiment in that vein.  See my sig.
I find this interesting and slightly cool.  :)