News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Change our minds about the existence of God?

Started by Gawen, October 23, 2010, 11:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ihateyoumike

Although I don't have anything to add to this topic, I'm rather enjoying the read.
 :pop:
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Gawen

So far, I've seen nothing in this thread that would make me want to change my mind on the existence of any god.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

ablprop

Let's take a simple example. Take a sample of radioactive thorium in a cloud chamber. This is a demo I set up often in my work at a science museum. Every time, without fail, alpha particles come flying off, making amazing tracks in the ethanol atmosphere.

Make it not work.

Now, I will of course exhaust all the possible explanations. First, I'll find out if I forgot to squirt in the ethanol. Next, I'll check to see if I forgot to fill up the cooler under the cart with ice water. Maybe the water pump isn't working. Maybe the field-clearing device is not clearing the field, so that the chamber is saturated with positive charge.

Once I've gotten past all that, then I will be forced to believe that some supernatural entity suddenly made the thorium, with a 10 billion year plus half-life, suddenly become stable. Also, I will win the Nobel Prize.

So do that.

By the way, I still won't worship. Belief and worship are two different things. I believe in Bill Gates, but do not worship him.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Will"The Torah, Bible, and Qur'an are all internally contradictory and all of them make prophesies which have not come to pass in the time provided by the prophesy.

And which have in some cases been contradicted -- Tyre, for instance.
Illegitimi non carborundum.