Started by karadan, September 27, 2010, 12:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeactor

Back to the topic... Just read this news item:

QuoteSafe drug touted as able to cure "Rain Man"-
like mice:
Researchers have announced a possible major advance
in treating autism spectrum disorders.

... so, if you're a mouse, you're in luck!

Full story at:
http://www.world-science.net/othernews/101209_autism

Whitney

on topic:  would be great if they found a cure for those that need it (Would those who are high functioning want a cure?...wondering if it could affect self identity since a 'cure' would change how they saw the world)

off topic:  cringe. . .while I may not be the best at website design when I see a site like that I want to fix it for them.

Davin

As a "high functioning" autistic, I wouldn't want a cure at this time in my life, I had already spent pretty much my entire life learning how to adapt to what I am and how to interact with people... if I was "cured" I'd have to spend a great deal of time learning how to adapt again. I honestly can't say if I would have wanted it at an earlier time in my life, as I never saw it as a big problem with me, just that others had relied too heavily on emotions instead of something solid and consistent. But I think it would be good for those that are having difficulty adapting or even functioning independently.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

joeactor

Quote from: "Whitney"off topic:  cringe. . .while I may not be the best at website design when I see a site like that I want to fix it for them.

Yeah, proof positive that Science and/or High IQ does not make you a good web designer...
(but I like the posts)