News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Greetings Atheists :)

Started by AnimatedDirt, October 19, 2010, 11:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "Tank"Why the House avatar?
It's one of my favorite shows.

Tank

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"
Are you watching the current series, I assume so. I like house, I just wish that some more of his patients died (it is a story after all), that would significantly add to the tension. I read somewhere that the proportion of people depicted as dying in US programmes like ER was way less that that in reality but in the similar UK show Casualty the death rate was pretty much on the mark.

The paranoid interpretation of your avatar is of course that House is an atheists and the tape would mean he should shut up  :D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "Tank"
Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"
Are you watching the current series, I assume so. I like house, I just wish that some more of his patients died (it is a story after all), that would significantly add to the tension. I read somewhere that the proportion of people depicted as dying in US programmes like ER was way less that that in reality but in the similar UK show Casualty the death rate was pretty much on the mark.

The paranoid interpretation of your avatar is of course that House is an atheists and the tape would mean he should shut up  :D
LOL!  I didn't even intend that, yet it fits so well.  heh.

I am watching the current series.  If more of his patients died, he wouldn't be the genius his character is made out to be.  Besides, what "fun" is there in end if death is certain?  ;)

Tank

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"I am watching the current series.  If more of his patients died, he wouldn't be the genius his character is made out to be.  Besides, what "fun" is there in end if death is certain?  ;)
Well that would be the point! If one did not know if the patient were going to die or not one would find the show more suspenseful. I don't think one could make too much of a change now as it would be 'playing against type' and the House audience is used to him saving the day in almost every show, so changing the formula now is not going to happen. But I think it was a trick they missed. There is a UK show called Spooks (MI5 spys and the like) and I think I'm right in saying that over the 6 series there is only one character who is an original. They have killed off the main character 3(?) times now and numerous subsidiary characters, it most definitely adds an edge as one can never be sure who's going to live or die, and if the plot line is leading to a death then there isn't an unbelievable plot convolution to avoid the death. If you see it on DVD and like spy type drama you may enjoy it as it doesn't tend to pull its punches.

EDIT: Where are you? I assumed you are in the USA but seeing the time that you are posting that may be an assumption too far.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"Besides, what "fun" is there in end if death is certain?  :P
Illegitimi non carborundum.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"I am watching the current series.  If more of his patients died, he wouldn't be the genius his character is made out to be.  Besides, what "fun" is there in end if death is certain?  ;)
Well that would be the point! If one did not know if the patient were going to die or not one would find the show more suspenseful. I don't think one could make too much of a change now as it would be 'playing against type' and the House audience is used to him saving the day in almost every show, so changing the formula now is not going to happen. But I think it was a trick they missed. There is a UK show called Spooks (MI5 spys and the like) and I think I'm right in saying that over the 6 series there is only one character who is an original. They have killed off the main character 3(?) times now and numerous subsidiary characters, it most definitely adds an edge as one can never be sure who's going to live or die, and if the plot line is leading to a death then there isn't an unbelievable plot convolution to avoid the death. If you see it on DVD and like spy type drama you may enjoy it as it doesn't tend to pull its punches.

EDIT: Where are you? I assumed you are in the USA but seeing the time that you are posting that may be an assumption too far.

It's funny, I've never looked at the show from the standpoint of 'knowing' the patient will live, but rather what methods will House employ to find the problem, what will he find, and what will be his "a-ha" moment of clarity be this time...that and what is Cuddy wearing this episode!

I am in the U.S.  So. Cal. to be more specific.

Tank

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"It's funny, I've never looked at the show from the standpoint of 'knowing' the patient will live, but rather what methods will House employ to find the problem, what will he find, and what will be his "a-ha" moment of clarity be this time...that and what is Cuddy wearing this episode!

I like watching House berate and abuse his team as they find their way to a conclusion and Cuddy is a very sexy character indeed. I enjoyed Battlestar Galactica and liked the plot twist that the Cylons were the monotheist deists and the 'humans' pantheists. But the fact that the Cylons were the ancestors of humanity was such an obvious plot line it was almost not worth mentioning! Quite like the first series of Fringe but I've dropped off of that now.

Are you an early riser by nature or necessity?

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"It's funny, I've never looked at the show from the standpoint of 'knowing' the patient will live, but rather what methods will House employ to find the problem, what will he find, and what will be his "a-ha" moment of clarity be this time...that and what is Cuddy wearing this episode!

I like watching House berate and abuse his team as they find their way to a conclusion and Cuddy is a very sexy character indeed. I enjoyed Battlestar Galactica and liked the plot twist that the Cylons were the monotheist deists and the 'humans' pantheists. But the fact that the Cylons were the ancestors of humanity was such an obvious plot line it was almost not worth mentioning! Quite like the first series of Fringe but I've dropped off of that now.

Are you an early riser by nature or necessity?
Cuddy indeed is sexy.  I never watched Battlestar G.  I'm still enjoying Fringe.

Necessity, definitely.

AtheistEvolution

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"I don't have the intelect needed to change anyone's mind, but am willing to throw my feeble opinion(s) in the mix and am fully ready for the "intellectual scourging" coming my way.  My hope is I'd like to be able to dialog with others of opposite mind and gain some insight and maybe share some.  Atheist or Christian, neither has absolute proof.

:)

Peace

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "AtheistEvolution"Sorry, things don't work that way.

:)

AnimatedDirt

I just wanted to say that in the short time I've been here, I've had a great time.  I thought I would be in word fights with many and stressed about coming on here.  So far, not so.  I've had one, maybe two what I'd call "bad" encounters, but the rest have been quite friendly and encouraging.

Thanks H.A.F.   :)

McQ

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"I just wanted to say that in the short time I've been here, I've had a great time.  I thought I would be in word fights with many and stressed about coming on here.  So far, not so.  I've had one, maybe two what I'd call "bad" encounters, but the rest have been quite friendly and encouraging.

Thanks H.A.F.   :)

Very glad to know that it's been a good forum experience for you. We do strive for it, even when it doesn't always go that way. There are many more than just atheists here, and even those who claim the title of atheist don't agree on things, including what an atheist is and isn't, to some extent.

By the way, one of the best information sources I've seen for understanding belief, disbelief, and the history of how we got where we are regarding both, is a three-part BBC series created and hosted by Sir Jonathan Miller. It's called "A Rough History of Disbelief". I believe YouTube has it posted, in bits and pieces, but I'm sure it's also available elsewhere. Miller is very eloquent. There is no name-calling or finger pointing. Just a scholarly look at atheism. I learned quite a bit from it.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Tank

Cycel

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"Hello all.  I'm a Christian.  I've been lurking around for a few days taking in some of the topics in the religion section.  Thought I may add some thoughts.  Looking forward to sharing thoughts and ideas.
Greetings AD,
Glad you are here.  I have frequented a few Christian boards these last few years, but find my posting is largely thwarted, so have looked for a new home.  :)

Look forward to chatting with you.

Cycel