News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Why Evolution is True.

Started by tymygy, October 17, 2010, 12:23:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tymygy

This is Jerry Coyne at an AAI conference explaining why Evolution is true.

Great anti-creationist video.

[youtube:24z5g863]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1m4mATYoig[/youtube:24z5g863]
Quote from: "Tank"The Catholic Church jumped on the Big Bang as if it were a choir boy! .

TheChainSmoker

I really wish I could see this video, but no. My internet is the worst of the worst..
I would like to say something though, it wasn't until very recently I realized so many people STILL doubt Evolution.. It's pretty ridiculous.

tymygy

Quote from: "TheChainSmoker"I really wish I could see this video, but no. My internet is the worst of the worst..
I would like to say something though, it wasn't until very recently I realized so many people STILL doubt Evolution.. It's pretty ridiculous.

He explains a little bit why that is.

I know, it is so sad.  :shake:
Quote from: "Tank"The Catholic Church jumped on the Big Bang as if it were a choir boy! .

Thumpalumpacus

Why evolution is true:  slow cheetahs tend to starve.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Tanker

While I hate to play devils advocate the last quarter of the video is trying to show that corellation equals causation in regards to religion and acceptance of evolution. While I believe his reasoning and graphs to be true they don't equal proof and as a scientist he should know better.

Over all It's a really great and informative video and I enjoyed it.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

tymygy

Quote from: "Tanker"While I hate to play devils advocate the last quarter of the video is trying to show that corellation equals causation in regards to religion and acceptance of evolution. While I believe his reasoning and graphs to be true they don't equal proof and as a scientist he should know better.

Well, like he said at the beginning, touching a desk, knocking on the desk, doesn't prove the desk is there. So yes, technically its not "proof". But, The only way something can be proven 100% is thourgh mathematics. So, his "proof" is based off of undeniable evidence and not "100%'s". Just like we do with gravity, electricity, and atoms.

In the video he shows that there is no other claim that can replace or rival evolution, and the facts of evolution are so overwhelming, it must be true. And in this video he could only share 50 minutes worth of evidences and "proofs", an extremely small portion of what really exists. He hardly went into detail, but he didn't have to. He showed the basic predictions, and how they could be explained. And thats why I enjoyed it.

Tanker

Quote from: "tymygy"
Quote from: "Tanker"While I hate to play devils advocate the last quarter of the video is trying to show that corellation equals causation in regards to religion and acceptance of evolution. While I believe his reasoning and graphs to be true they don't equal proof and as a scientist he should know better.

Well, like he said at the beginning, touching a desk, knocking on the desk, doesn't prove the desk is there. So yes, technically its not "proof". But, The only way something can be proven 100% is thourgh mathematics. So, his "proof" is based off of undeniable evidence and not "100%'s". Just like we do with gravity, electricity, and atoms.

In the video he shows that there is no other claim that can replace or rival evolution, and the facts of evolution are so overwhelming, it must be true. And in this video he could only share 50 minutes worth of evidences and "proofs", an extremely small portion of what really exists. He hardly went into detail, but he didn't have to. He showed the basic predictions, and how they could be explained.

I think this video could prove to someone not very well educated in the field of evolution, that it is true and thats why I enjoyed it.

Evolution is true I didn't claim it wasn't nor did I claim his facts wearn't true. My comment was very specificly on the last quarter or so where he tried to use corelation as proof of causation for why so few people in America belive in evolution. As I stated in my original reply I believe he is correct and his Corlative "proofs" were acurate they do not equal proof or truth.

Pastafarianism makes a point of ridiculing corelation equaling causation, ie; that the decrease in pirates has directly led to the increase in global tempratures. Statistics can be used to say anything you want and while they can give you a general overview they shouldn't be used proof of anything. While the video overall was informative and fun I was disapointed that he made this mistake.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

MariaEvri

Oh noes Cyprus is at the bottom countries! Well I didn't expect anything else to be honest, Anyway I have the book in my wish list, still haven't read it though, I have a huge pile of books waiting to be read. Very interesting video.
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Tank

Quote from: "TheChainSmoker"I really wish I could see this video, but no. My internet is the worst of the worst..
Buy the book, it's worth every penny.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

TheChainSmoker

Quote from: "Tank"
Buy the book, it's worth every penny.
I may do that as soon as I get some extra money around. I should be going to a pals house soon, so I can watch the video, and by then, I may be able to order the book all at once..  :bananacolor: