News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Commencement of suicide

Started by Cite134, October 08, 2010, 10:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

epepke

Quote from: "DropLogic"Well, I think anyone can see that I am trying to help, and I don't agree with your logic that saying nothing at all is better.  The fact that he is sharing all of this with us tells me that he needs to let it out to someone.

I agree.

There are two incidents in my life where I didn't give advice, and the guys killed themselves.

I've given a hell of a lot of advice, and so far, there have been zero cases where they killed themselves.

I think the "don't give advice" line is self-serving bullshit.  It's totally a way to feel all smug and moral about not making an effort to help your fellow human.

Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht Anders.

Asmodean

Quote from: "DropLogic"I don't agree with your logic that saying nothing at all is better.
Did I say that..?  :raised: Have you ever considered the possibility that some of those apparently numerous people did not commit suicide in spite of your advice and not because of it? Or for reasons totally unrelated, like not necessarilly being suicidal?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

DropLogic

Quote from: "epepke"I've given a hell of a lot of advice, and so far, there have been zero cases where they killed themselves.
Quote from: "Asmodean"Oh look! We have an expert!  :raised: Have you ever considered the possibility that some of those apparently numerous people did not commit suicide in spite of your advice and not because of it? Or for reasons totally unrelated, like not necessarilly being suicidal?
Yeah epepke, i'll agree with asmo on this one.  Your argument is a post hoc fallacy.

The Magic Pudding

Cite did invite talk, and he seems to welcome it.
It may be flawed but is meant well, perhaps he appreciates this.

epepke

Quote from: "Asmodean"Oh look! We have an expert!  :raised: Have you ever considered the possibility that some of those apparently numerous people did not commit suicide in spite of your advice and not because of it? Or for reasons totally unrelated, like not necessarilly being suicidal?

Have you considered learning how to speak your own fucking language?

The point that I was making is that there is no reason to believe that I have ever killed anybody by giving advice, so I say what I feel.  I do not know that it helps anybody, but it does not seem to have hurt anybody.

But I'm sure it's much more fun to misconstrue what I said.  Sound like you're the expert, Lord King Bufu.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "DropLogic"Your argument is a post hoc fallacy.

This is correct.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Cite134

Thank you all for replying. It's difficult to express my gratitude.

I guess it's really hard for me to communicate with the right people, because I feel like I cannot spill my 'guts' to the people I know the way I just did on this forum. I am working through it, though.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan.

Kylyssa

I've stayed off this thread for fear its contents might be triggering, but I have to say, I've gotten to the point that it is not triggering at all.

This is a good group of people and they've lent me their ears and sympathies on a number of occasions.  I suffer from chronic pain and frustrating health issues along with a brutal and complicated past, all of which have brought me to the brink a time or two.  But I've always come out the other side of the depression eventually.  Some days my muscles feel like sacks of broken glass, crawling and prickling under my skin and my anxiety level goes through the roof.  Some days, something will set off a cascade of traumatic memories and I'll be pinned by my own recollections of violence.  But some days it isn't so bad.  Some days I enjoy myself so much I don't think about the pain or the past and I don't feel more than a bit anxious.  

It has helped me immensely to become more conscious of my own pleasure and desires.  Living in the moment and recognizing the joy that can be had in living has kept me alive.  Find what gives you pleasure and pursue it.

Cite134

Quote from: "Kylyssa"It has helped me immensely to become more conscious of my own pleasure and desires.  Living in the moment and recognizing the joy that can be had in living has kept me alive.  Find what gives you pleasure and pursue it.

This is the only reason why I am alive at the moment. I would be lying to say that I could relate to your sufferings in life.
 I guess it's fair to say that I am in this "browsing" period. Trying to find meaning in a pool of meaningless. At times, I wish I was just completly oblivious to things where I can just live.

Life for me is like a ride on a bunch of hills, where I am at the top, and drive inevitably at the bottom. Yet, it takes more energy to reach the crest of these hills, whereas it takes less energy to reach the troughs. I start getting suicidal when I question whether it's worth it or not to put so much energy just to experience short-lived joy just to reach the bottom once again.

On top of all of this, I am aware that there is a cliff at the end where my car will crash into a bed of sharp rocks, terminating the whole ride.  :sigh:

AlP

I have been depressed and through some rough stuff myself. I fixed it by abandoning the social construct. Without it, for me at least, depression and trauma became impossible. It no longer had meaning. And good riddance to it.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

Asmodean

Quote from: "epepke"Have you considered learning how to speak your own fucking language?
Which one is that..?

QuoteThe point that I was making is that there is no reason to believe that I have ever killed anybody by giving advice, so I say what I feel.  I do not know that it helps anybody, but it does not seem to have hurt anybody.
Wasn't what you said. You are not the Bible. I take your words for what they are, not for what you would like them to be.

QuoteBut I'm sure it's much more fun to misconstrue what I said.
Yes. It is. Only... I didn't

QuoteSound like you're the expert, Lord King Bufu.
Actually, I am. Not a medical professional, mind you, but I do know my way around a suicide.

Now if you would like to fight me over linguistics, I will gladly indulge you.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

BetterToReignInHell

Quote from: "Cite134"
QuoteDo rethink your position that suicide is the only solution to your problem. You might come to find that you develop a desire to live (as I’ve found, once I rethought the subject myself.)
QuoteI apprecaite your input, but I believe the fundamental problem is finding a meaning in the first place. Traditional meanings such as: family, goals, or relationships are generally valued, but I always find futility in such things. So, If I do fail to  :upset: develop a meaning, then suicide will be the only remedy.

R

Living is a choice, as is suicide. Life itself has no meaning, it is 100% YOUR responsibility to create your own happiness. There are no magic answers, some of us are literally evolved more thoroughly and therefore more capable of excelling at life in different aspects. I lost a child to SIDS for no reason, other than nature. She had not fully developed correctly in the womb, it was no ones fault, its evoltuion at work. Suicide is a selfish and ungrateful act. You got to live, so many don't. I'm assuming you were born a white male in america, you can't get a better start than that! Use it, there are mental health services to provide therapy and medicine. If drinking is a problem please realizee that its merely a crutch and do not fall into the religious cult that is AA. This is the only life you get, its such abeautiful accident, no more pity party, there is too much to celebrate. Evaluate your life, what do you love? Want? Dream about? Nothing is impossible.

Cite134

[/quote]
R
Living is a choice, as is suicide. Life itself has no meaning, it is 100% YOUR responsibility to create your own happiness. There are no magic answers, some of us are literally evolved more thoroughly and therefore more capable of excelling at life in different aspects. I lost a child to SIDS for no reason, other than nature. She had not fully developed correctly in the womb, it was no ones fault, its evoltuion at work. Suicide is a selfish and ungrateful act. You got to live, so many don't. I'm assuming you were born a white male in america, you can't get a better start than that! Use it, there are mental health services to provide therapy and medicine. If drinking is a problem please realizee that its merely a crutch and do not fall into the religious cult that is AA. This is the only life you get, its such abeautiful accident, no more pity party, there is too much to celebrate. Evaluate your life, what do you love? Want? Dream about? Nothing is impossible.[/quote]

Well, for starters: I am sorry for your lost.

1. I concede that you have to develop your own meaing. That's part of the problem.

2. I do not agree with this vague obligation of "you got to live". No I do not. It's my choice, and I don't like it when people tell me what I should or shouldn't do with my own life.

3. I was born in America, but I am not white. So unfortunaltely, I can't simply "use it".

4. The advice you are giving is the same stuff that I've heard over and over. I suppose I appreciate your concern, but on another note, I wonder why you assumed I was white?

Thumpalumpacus

Because only white people have the luxury to consider suicide.  I thought that was common knowledge.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

BetterToReignInHell

I thought you were white because of suicide statistics. Profiling. That's it. I'm sorry you can't make meaning in your life, best of luck.